• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

On 1/19/2022 at 10:23 AM, F For Fake said:

That Moon Knight book absolutely kills me. I picked a copy up in a lot of stuff several months ago...maybe even last year. It was the only Moon Knight comic I had, and I thought to myself "You know, a Moon Knight show is coming out, and the early stuff is red hot. I can see the ongoing getting hot as well, with the Sienkiewicz covers and all. But what are the odds that anyone will ever want the 2nd issue of a miniseries from the 80's?" So it eventually ended up in a box of stuff I sold at the local shop. Because of course it did. Because I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

I guess it's true, these days it's best not to sell anything until it pops, because in time, everything is going to.

I really feel bad for people spending over $100 on it. When will we learn? The odds of Ethan Hawke portraying a character with an extremely minor appearance in MK canon and having that performance propel the character into a "oh my god that was amazing I must have this issue" type situation is lower than your chances of getting the powerball. 

Wait until June. It will be a $10-20 book then if you want it. Plus I guarantee you can find it in a back issue bin somewhere if you must have it. 

On 1/19/2022 at 7:23 AM, F For Fake said:

That Moon Knight book absolutely kills me. I picked a copy up in a lot of stuff several months ago...maybe even last year. It was the only Moon Knight comic I had, and I thought to myself "You know, a Moon Knight show is coming out, and the early stuff is red hot. I can see the ongoing getting hot as well, with the Sienkiewicz covers and all. But what are the odds that anyone will ever want the 2nd issue of a miniseries from the 80's?" So it eventually ended up in a box of stuff I sold at the local shop. Because of course it did. Because I'm an insufficiently_thoughtful_person.

I guess it's true, these days it's best not to sell anything until it pops, because in time, everything is going to.

I bought an all 80s collection in 2020. It had Khonshu 1-6 (which I still have) and had a couple loose Khonshu 2 & 3s.. I was about to include those 2 & 3s in a bulk longbox sale to a dealer last week but decided last minute not too in the odd chance they become worth anything. Your exact post was my reasoning 

Edited by littledoom

Also are we really sure this is the character Hawke is portraying? I smell a "Shuma Gorath" situation here where much like how Marvel is using the name Gargantos but has the character looking like Shuma for the toys and upcoming Dr. Strange flick, I feel they just took the name from this random comic and are using it to create a unique character to the show, who might also embody characteristics of someone like Sun King from recent arcs.

And no...I don't own nor have bought any copies of that book either (nor would I recommend) but I do think it likely what we will see. Marvel's sneaky way of saying "haha" to the FOMO folks.

Well luckily it's not a book I care anything about for my personal collection, so that helps. But it would have been a nice, profitable flip! Oh well. Win some, lose some. I really gotta stop selling early though!

On 1/19/2022 at 7:56 AM, F For Fake said:

Well luckily it's not a book I care anything about for my personal collection, so that helps. But it would have been a nice, profitable flip! Oh well. Win some, lose some. I really gotta stop selling early though!

Time to prepare these… unbelievably the actor just passed away today

F4A3958E-6B64-4EB2-9AAC-84D830276E40.thumb.jpeg.9bc4d8b144dbf2f1f72d9c670fdbc216.jpeg

On 1/19/2022 at 10:54 AM, comicginger1789 said:

Also are we really sure this is the character Hawke is portraying? I smell a "Shuma Gorath" situation here where much like how Marvel is using the name Gargantos but has the character looking like Shuma for the toys and upcoming Dr. Strange flick, I feel they just took the name from this random comic and are using it to create a unique character to the show, who might also embody characteristics of someone like Sun King from recent arcs.

And no...I don't own nor have bought any copies of that book either (nor would I recommend) but I do think it likely what we will see. Marvel's sneaky way of saying "haha" to the FOMO folks.

This is where I'm at. I really get this nagging feeling it is just a nice deep-cut character name to throw fans off and keep a few surprises out of the discussion. We know how much MCU films LOOOVVVVEE to have a third act hero-vs-identical-villian battle...so sun king makes more sense than a cyborg-zombie controlling scientist :D 

(but I'm still crossing my fingers it is Arthur Harrow...I love me the Fist of Khonshu run, as it got me into Moon Knight and Marvel comics overall)

On 1/19/2022 at 11:04 AM, Sauce Dog said:

This is where I'm at. I really get this nagging feeling it is just a nice deep-cut character name to throw fans off and keep a few surprises out of the discussion. We know how much MCU films LOOOVVVVEE to have a third act hero-vs-identical-villian battle...so sun king makes more sense than a cyborg-zombie controlling scientist :D 

(but I'm still crossing my fingers it is Arthur Harrow...I love me the Fist of Khonshu run, as it got me into Moon Knight and Marvel comics overall)

Could also be Randall Spector....whatever it is the notion that it would make a book that much more valuable is insane to me. I guess that's why people speculate but like I feel for these people because unless they find the guy willing to spend $150-200 on the $100 book they just bought, they are going to be disappointed. Again unless Hawke makes this character a household name who everyone wants and must have and they create more comics about the character and so on and so on....

On 1/19/2022 at 5:23 AM, F For Fake said:

possibly, a lot of it may go up. I don't know about you but I can't be hoarding boxes of drek in the hopes that Rintrah/Harrow/evil Dr. Strange/ etc climbs out of the dollar boxes. 

A few years ago, I bought a large lot of over 50 short boxes, mostly stuff from 2000 and on. I picked out what I wanted, tried to gaze far out into the future for possible spec opportunities. I kept about 15 boxes and sold over 35 of the shorts. Do I regret it? No, I can't be holding onto 35 short boxes. Better to make a few dollars to recoup my cost and move on. 

On 10/8/2021 at 12:29 PM, SuperBird said:

Only a maniac would *sell* the Brandon Graham run. :sumo:

On 10/8/2021 at 1:25 PM, Lobo1969 said:

Agreed. That run was bizarre... but well worth the read

Just reread the entire run.... does anyone understand what the heck happens at the end...I was just reading by the end and had no freakin clue what was going on....

On 1/19/2022 at 7:54 AM, comicginger1789 said:

Sell on the rumor, buy on the facts. ^^

On 1/19/2022 at 10:56 PM, divad said:

Sell on the rumor, buy on the facts

I like that philosophy. My bank guy tells me he’s selling when everyone is buying… which is good. Of course interest could go up. Buying when no one is.. cold keys

On 1/19/2022 at 7:41 PM, Lpgk said:

possibly, a lot of it may go up. I don't know about you but I can't be hoarding boxes of drek in the hopes that Rintrah/Harrow/evil Dr. Strange/ etc climbs out of the dollar boxes. 

A few years ago, I bought a large lot of over 50 short boxes, mostly stuff from 2000 and on. I picked out what I wanted, tried to gaze far out into the future for possible spec opportunities. I kept about 15 boxes and sold over 35 of the shorts. Do I regret it? No, I can't be holding onto 35 short boxes. Better to make a few dollars to recoup my cost and move on. 

Yeah, I think you're absolutely right, and that's how I tend to do things. More often than not the instincts are correct, but every once in a while there's a flash in the pan book like this that burns me, and I get grumpy and kick myself. I've made a lot of money on a lot of books. I've also sold way too early on a lot of books. But as my wife likes to remind me, "you were happy with the money you made at the time". And like you, I can't have all of that clutter sitting around, waiting for the day. I try to keep my "spec" stuff to a couple of boxes, and the rest is my personal collection. When space gets too tight, something has to go. But never not my mountain of Dakota North and Strikeforce Morituri #1's. Oh no. Those stay, And one day I'll ride them into an early retirement! 

Ok, maybe not...

On 1/19/2022 at 7:41 PM, Lpgk said:

... Yeah, next thing you know, you'll have nothing but a footpath in your house.... walk like an Egyptian and all that. I used to tease guys who said they need to make room and are selling a short box, "what, you live in a broom closet ?" ... now I know :tonofbricks: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 1/20/2022 at 12:27 PM, jimjum12 said:

... Yeah, next thing you know, you'll have nothing but a footpath in your house.... walk like an Egyptian and all that. I used to tease guys who said they need to make room and are selling a short box, "what, you live in a broom closet ?" ... now I know :tonofbricks: GOD BLESS....

Yep, that’s how it starts…then, one day, you die a glorious death like that famous Manhattan hermit/hoarder who was crushed under the packaging from a steady diet of sausage, egg and cheese delivery sandwiches for years and years. It made the front page of the NY Post. The path to Valhalla for collectors who cannot part with anything :cloud9:

On 1/21/2022 at 6:43 PM, Readcomix said:

Yep, that’s how it starts…then, one day, you die a glorious death like that famous Manhattan hermit/hoarder who was crushed under the packaging from a steady diet of sausage, egg and cheese delivery sandwiches for years and years. It made the front page of the NY Post. The path to Valhalla for collectors who cannot part with anything :cloud9:

This post is a prime example of why I don't think I could ever stop liking you :cloud9: GOD BLESS ....

On 1/21/2022 at 6:45 PM, jimjum12 said:

This post is a prime example of why I don't think I could ever stop liking you :cloud9: GOD BLESS ....

Thank you kind sir!

I swear I tried to find the old news article; it was incredibly bizarre. But I can’t turn up a link. It was many years ago.