• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

pshaw...it's not like donut has an MBA from Wake Forest or anything.

apologies if my memory is as rickety as i suspect it may be; i know the school is right though

On 7/31/2023 at 9:05 AM, Sal said:

pshaw...it's not like donut has an MBA from Wake Forest or anything.

apologies if my memory is as rickety as i suspect it may be; i know the school is right though

lol that's the one. Not a top-10 school, but it is top-25.

On 7/30/2023 at 12:40 AM, fastballspecial said:

This and several other posts above. Controlling your costs and knowing what you are buying.

All the rest is just noise. Everyday board members give out advice that is learned from years
of experience. You know what I did when I was a new seller here? I listened and I paid attention
to what they were talking about and I sure didn't argue with them. 

Many of us give out this advice and our experience for free. Most of the boardies over the
years that have argued against these concepts have one thing in common. They are not here
anymore for the most part and probably not in the hobby or a very scaled down version. Same
thing you are seeing now with New Post Covid sellers who thought the money would keep rolling in. 

Follow these models above and you won't be complaining about prices falling because you already
saw it coming long time ago and prepared for it. Costs, Inventory, Networking/Relationships,
Grading, Packing this is comic selling at its basics. Donut, Ft88 and I have been doing this a very long time.

I am not going to comment to anyone on this after this post. I think some of you need to listen more because
this is a free clinic in selling that I've seen of the last few pages. They spent years learning this. Some of you 
need to do the same it would do you some good.

I think Greggy has the best model I have seen as he only goes to shows to buy and has the auction houses do the work for him. If I did not like speculating, err gambling, on Moderns so much I would follow his approach as it is way less time intensive.

So last year I croaked to see that PPTS issue with Hypno Hustler selling for silly amounts (as it was a random book I long proclaimed to myself would never have value)

Well now it’s Thor 317, first Zaniac, a book I also used to look at and say “lol if this ever cracks $20 in value I’ll be stunned”

Guys are posting on FB groups asking $50-60 or more now. Dunno if they are getting it but I should flip through my stuff and find another character who will never be lol

On 8/9/2023 at 7:49 AM, comicginger1789 said:

So last year I croaked to see that PPTS issue with Hypno Hustler selling for silly amounts (as it was a random book I long proclaimed to myself would never have value)

Well now it’s Thor 317, first Zaniac, a book I also used to look at and say “lol if this ever cracks $20 in value I’ll be stunned”

Guys are posting on FB groups asking $50-60 or more now. Dunno if they are getting it but I should flip through my stuff and find another character who will never be lol

Zaniac book heated up last year

On 8/10/2023 at 2:21 PM, comicginger1789 said:

Shows you when I stopped really following what was hot/not lol 

Outside of the pandemic bubble. I do wonder how many times buying books based on rumor or when hot has actually paid off over long term. 

Many carpetbagging flippers and speculators have taken their leave of Comic Books but some will always be around. No wrong way to collect but ain't seeing any upside to buying a book when hot or on rumor other than the occasional outlier.

FOMO or whatever it was called prior to that term being coined is a human weakness thus an integral part of most Cons and rip-off schemes. Say NO GO to FOMO!

On 8/10/2023 at 2:07 PM, MAR1979 said:

Outside of the pandemic bubble. I do wonder how many times buying books based on rumor or when hot has actually paid off over long term. 

Many carpetbagging flippers and speculators have taken their leave of Comic Books but some will always be around. No wrong way to collect but ain't seeing any upside to buying a book when hot or on rumor other than the occasional outlier.

FOMO or whatever it was called prior to that term being coined is a human weakness thus an integral part of most Cons and rip-off schemes. Say NO GO to FOMO!

It depends on how quick you are to get in. If you are in at the drop you can usually find underpriced books that can be flipped for a nice profit. It was much easier back in the 2000s when movie speculation was just starting. I can remember having a month or two to buy low on Showcase #22 and Avengers #1 prior to the movie hype kicking in. For the X-Men, Spider-Man, Iron Man, and other early films, there really was no hype lift which sucked. lol 

On 8/10/2023 at 4:17 PM, kimik said:

It depends on how quick you are to get in. If you are in at the drop you can usually find underpriced books that can be flipped for a nice profit. It was much easier back in the 2000s when movie speculation was just starting. I can remember having a month or two to buy low on Showcase #22 and Avengers #1 prior to the movie hype kicking in. For the X-Men, Spider-Man, Iron Man, and other early films, there really was no hype lift which sucked. lol 

So Proven Keys for near half-century that became even more Key. Fair enough.  But 1st Hypno-Hustler (The word hustle is first clue to stay away) or 1st Zaniac or similar drek ain't the same and that is really to what i am referring. 

P.S. FOLKS no Hypno-Hustler film will ever be made. I repeat no Hypno-Hustler film will ever be made. 

Recent FLOPS at The Mouse and and DISCTW  will cause Sony to think very hard about dumping money into E level Spidey characters . In addition Sony lost money on Morbious and insider "buzz" is at absolute best Kraven will break even. Ain't no profit for Sony in feature film Hypno-Hustler. 

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/10/2023 at 2:23 PM, MAR1979 said:

So Proven Keys that became even more Key. Fair enough.  But 1st Hypo-Hustler (The word hustle is first clue to stay away) or 1st Zaniac or similar drek ain't the same as that is really to what i am referring. 

There was still plenty of other drek that popped and dropped, but to higher levels than before the hype IF you can sell them. 

On 8/10/2023 at 4:59 PM, kimik said:

There was still plenty of other drek that popped and dropped, but to higher levels than before the hype IF you can sell them. 

So for drek buy early, sell before interest is lost. Seems like a lot of effort and risk in current times to grind out a decent ROI.

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/10/2023 at 3:03 PM, MAR1979 said:

So for drek buy early, sell before interest is lost. Seems like a lot of effort and risk in current times to grind out a decent ROI.

Now is the time to start picking up beaten down keys IMHO. 

Or GA/SA/BA/CA Batman and Detective keys/Adams covers/hot covers. Even run books. That is the one character that seems to have avoided the downturn for the most part. Prices on common and key issues have maintained most of their gains/continued to run post 2021. And I guess CA common run books for most Marvel and DC tittles. Print runs were massive, but prices and demand have jumped the past year and a bit. I love selling common run issues that cost pennies to a dollar for $20+ now.

On 8/10/2023 at 5:47 PM, kimik said:

Now is the time to start picking up beaten down keys IMHO. 

Or GA/SA/BA/CA Batman and Detective keys/Adams covers/hot covers. Even run books. That is the one character that seems to have avoided the downturn for the most part. Prices on common and key issues have maintained most of their gains/continued to run post 2021. And I guess CA common run books for most Marvel and DC tittles. Print runs were massive, but prices and demand have jumped the past year and a bit. I love selling common run issues that cost pennies to a dollar for $20+ now.

As DC goes Batman is Blue chip.

I have been picking up late 60's DC which is favorite collecting era of mine even if way before my time. If I was smart I'd buy less books but all Marvel of that era.

To lose money with DC it's easy for fastest route simply buy slabbed digests as you remind yourself over and over they are the rarest high grade DC or Marvel books of the late Bronze and Copper age. Then watch as your ROI as expected circles the drain - see my current signature images :)

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/10/2023 at 3:50 PM, MAR1979 said:

As DC goes Batman is Blue chip 

I consider Batman the bluest of the blue as the GA Bats and Tecs continue to rise slowly but steadily in addition to the other age eras/