• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

On 5/28/2023 at 10:26 PM, valiantman said:

So the best investment after all these years might have been buying all the worthless books in quarter boxes, storing them, and selling those same worthless books for $5 today. hm

Apparently that’s been the strategy for my entire collection…

So the best investment after all these years might have been buying all the worthless books in quarter boxes, storing them, and selling those same worthless books for $5 today. hm

Back when I started collecting as a teenager, I couldn't afford any of the big keys, so I built a collection from discount boxes. Plenty of the books I picked up that ways are still discount bin fodder, but plenty also got hot at some point. I think all of my Marvel Super-Heroes Secret Wars issues came from discount bins. The Rocket Raccoon mini and Logan's Run 6 (first Thanos solo story) are just a couple others off the top of my head I can think of.

On 5/30/2023 at 10:35 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Back when I started collecting as a teenager, I couldn't afford any of the big keys, so I built a collection from discount boxes. Plenty of the books I picked up that ways are still discount bin fodder, but plenty also got hot at some point. I think all of my Marvel Super-Heroes Secret Wars issues came from discount bins. The Rocket Raccoon mini and Logan's Run 6 (first Thanos solo story) are just a couple others off the top of my head I can think of.

Like you, I purchased so many cheap comic books, especially in the early 1990s, that I had to spend the "big bucks" on bags, boards, and boxes to properly store them. I still own all of them since, clearly, I never get rid of anything ... ... ... anything! lol

On 5/28/2023 at 9:26 PM, valiantman said:

No, the best investment was buying Bitcoin back in 2010. :cheers:

On 6/1/2023 at 4:44 PM, whetteon said:
On 5/28/2023 at 9:26 PM, valiantman said:

No, the best investment was buying Bitcoin back in 2010. :cheers:

It wasn't on the shelf or in the back issues at the LCS.

This has been my business model for 40 years. 20x return on a quarter repeated 10,000 times adds up.

On 5/28/2023 at 10:25 AM, whetteon said:

Back in my day, it was quarter boxes! :preach:

I do have a hard time paying more than a quarter for a funny book . . . :nyah: :peace: :preach:

On 6/1/2023 at 8:55 PM, FlyingDonut said:

This has been my business model for 40 years. 20x return on a quarter repeated 10,000 times adds up.

As much as I like your sales model, that's lunch money. But still, :takeit: 

On 6/2/2023 at 8:24 AM, ygogolak said:

Factor in the cost of storage space, maintaining temperature and lighting, etc.... hm

I factor in every single cost. If you can't make money doing this, you're doing it wrong.

And trust me, I'm making far more than lunch money.

On 6/3/2023 at 12:30 PM, FlyingDonut said:

I factor in every single cost. If you can't make money doing this, you're doing it wrong.

Your model does not work for everyone though because of the large variable the overhead costs mentioned earlier.
Look at Chuck, giant warehouse and overhead. But theoretically the volume of sales covers that.

On 6/4/2023 at 12:18 PM, ygogolak said:

Your model does not work for everyone though because of the large variable the overhead costs mentioned earlier.
Look at Chuck, giant warehouse and overhead. But theoretically the volume of sales covers that.

Please tell me how my model doesn't work for everyone. Know your numbers and you can't not make money. If you believe you can't, that's fine. Less people in the way.

On 6/4/2023 at 3:50 PM, FlyingDonut said:

Please tell me how my model doesn't work for everyone. Know your numbers and you can't not make money. If you believe you can't, that's fine. Less people in the way.

Per your model, buying large amounts of material to be stored for years or even decades and then selling for a little more later. All overhead costs must be accounted for. I haven't done a pro-forma for every location in the country but I can guarantee it doesn't work everywhere.

Edited by ygogolak

On 6/5/2023 at 11:22 AM, ygogolak said:

Per your model, buying large amounts of material to be stored for years or even decades and then selling for a little more later. All overhead costs must be accounted for. I haven't done a pro-forma for every location in the country but I can guarantee it doesn't work everywhere.

Well, if Mom's basement is still available . . . :roflmao:

On 6/3/2023 at 9:30 AM, FlyingDonut said:

I was just using your numbers . . . "20x return on a quarter repeated 10,000 times"

On 6/4/2023 at 2:50 PM, FlyingDonut said:

Not to be a pot-stirrer, but technically, long before everyone could pile into your business model, the sheer volume of participants would kill it. But I get what your saying.

On 6/7/2023 at 10:19 AM, FlyingDonut said:

$47,500 is lunch money? I want to go to lunch with you.

Not easy money to make from an overall required effort perspective but likley extremely self-satisfying to grind out that coin each year from trash in effect.  That's an example of how you stay in biz, keep cash flowing and prosper - any moe ron can make money in bubble.  Difficult to believe their are some on this very forum who either don't understand cash flow or somehow believe taking in money is not a good thing for a comic dealer (seriously there are those here that believe that)

Edited by MAR1979

On 6/7/2023 at 7:19 AM, FlyingDonut said:
On 6/6/2023 at 10:24 PM, divad said:

I was just using your numbers . . . "20x return on a quarter repeated 10,000 times"

$47,500 is lunch money? I want to go to lunch with you.

Over 40 years? Yes, do the math: $47,500 / (365x40) = I don't think you really want to go to lunch with me . . . :insane: Certainly not chump change, but I'm sure Mrs. Donut prefers the big ticket items! :bigsmile: