• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,816 posts in this topic

On 8/10/2023 at 2:50 PM, MAR1979 said:

To lose money with DC it's easy for fastest route simply buy slabbed digests as you remind yourself over and over they are the rarest high grade DC or Marvel books of the late Bronze and Copper age. Then watch as your ROI as expected circles the drain - see my current signature images :)

That's funny! I ended up with some 9.6 digest slabs somehow and they didn't even make the $50 cut to be able to list on Shortbox.

On 9/2/2023 at 3:25 PM, manetteska said:

Thank you, CGC Boards (and @littledoom ) for telling me about this. Read this thread five days ago and found a copy in a large stack last night.

Two years ago I was going to take a look at a $2 each longbox at a con booth but another competitor friend took a look at it before me and found a rough copy and later sold it this year for $200 raw. I still don't own one but if I get lucky enough I'd hold onto it!

On 8/10/2023 at 4:07 PM, MAR1979 said:

Outside of the pandemic bubble. I do wonder how many times buying books based on rumor or when hot has actually paid off over long term. 

Many carpetbagging flippers and speculators have taken their leave of Comic Books but some will always be around. No wrong way to collect but ain't seeing any upside to buying a book when hot or on rumor other than the occasional outlier.

FOMO or whatever it was called prior to that term being coined is a human weakness thus an integral part of most Cons and rip-off schemes. Say NO GO to FOMO!

I dunno about long term, but this was going on well before the pandemic bubble. Probably starting around 2012 I was making $100-200 a week just running around shops buying stuff off the rack that had gotten hot, hunting cheap-o boxes and what not primarily based on books that had some sort of rumor going on. It was a good 8-10 years of "what dollar box book will be $20 tomorrow." I paid for most of a family vacation to Europe in 2013 with Image #1s and buying any Walking Dead issue under 100 I could get my hands on for $1-3 when shops weren't even thinking issue 58 or whatever would be worth anything.

On 9/13/2023 at 9:37 PM, the blob said:

I dunno about long term, but this was going on well before the pandemic bubble. Probably starting around 2012 I was making $100-200 a week just running around shops buying stuff off the rack that had gotten hot, hunting cheap-o boxes and what not primarily based on books that had some sort of rumor going on. It was a good 8-10 years of "what dollar box book will be $20 tomorrow." I paid for most of a family vacation to Europe in 2013 with Image #1s and buying any Walking Dead issue under 100 I could get my hands on for $1-3 when shops weren't even thinking issue 58 or whatever would be worth anything.

That's different from paying the going rate when a book is Hot or rumor in full force. You tactic is bargain-hunting which seems sounds, unlike paying full FMV/FMV+ after book has sublimated.

Edited by MAR1979

On 9/13/2023 at 10:34 PM, MAR1979 said:

That's different from paying the going rate when a book is Hot or rumor in full force. You tactic is bargain-hunting which seems sounds, unlike paying full FMV/FMV+ after book has sublimated.

yeah, but there are definitely stages to these things. folks here thought it was insane when WD #1 hit $100 or so, I think that was around the time of the show. I guess that's one example, although it had been growing for a bit. It definitely wasn't popped at $1500-2000+ when the show aired, that took a bit to happen. But then again, how many things had the staying power of WD? Cult following for a decade. If you had bought hulk 181 at the x-men 1 hype price i think you did pretty well even compared to the market for other keys. 

Edited by the blob

Spotlight 5. Went up for the first movie a lot because it was a dead book before, how has that done since 2007? i guess these are bronze books, maybe don't count. Ditto Iron Man 1 and FF 48 were not super expensive books prior to the movies, took a bump then, but I am pretty sure FF 48 has done very well since it went from a mid-grade $50 book to $150 (when I sold my copies) in 2005/6.

Edited by the blob

On 9/14/2023 at 1:03 PM, the blob said:

Spotlight 5. Went up for the first movie a lot because it was a dead book before, how has that done since 2007? i guess these are bronze books, maybe don't count. Ditto Iron Man 1 and FF 48 were not super expensive books prior to the movies, took a bump then, but I am pretty sure FF 48 has done very well since it went from a mid-grade $50 book to $150 (when I sold my copies) in 2005/6.

my comment in no way referred to Silvers or Books that were already establish 60's and 70s keys. but yeah there are always outliers but for every one of them there are a dozen or more rubes who purchased Eternals #1 at  $2500-3000, She-Hulk #1 at $1500-2000, ASM361 at $1000-$1500 or even ASM194 at $5000+

P.S. Most mid grade 60's Marvels were middling prior the the marvel film era starting in 2008.

Edited by MAR1979

On 9/14/2023 at 1:20 PM, MAR1979 said:

my comment in no way referred to Silvers or Books that were already establish 60's and 70s keys. but yeah there are always outliers but for every one of them there are a dozen or more rubes who purchased Eternals #1 at  $2500-3000, She-Hulk #1 at $1500-2000, ASM361 at $1000-$1500 or even ASM194 at $5000+

P.S. Most mid grade 60's Marvels were middling prior the the marvel film era starting in 2008.

And most of them still are midling. FF 48 was, for a long time, a book that sold for well under guide. At one time I owned like 6 copies. I was buying them for $30-50 when they were $150 in guide, but stopped because if I ever tried to sell them I could only get $30-50 so I stopped buying the book. When FF 2 was coming out those copies were suddenly selling for guide or a little more and I unloaded them like a hot potato. Oddly enough, while the movie was a bust FF 48 kept on going up and up.

Outside of ASM 194, which is also pushed by black cover issues and she hasn't been in a movie yet, although we know that will happen one day, you are looking at absolute peaks on those books (and when was Eternals 1 $3000? Is that the variant or just some crazy outlier? Ditto She Hulk 1, was that really the going rate for a 9.8? I might have been on comics vacation that week.) Those books popped pretty quickly but there were definitely stages where there had clearly been a bump due to TV/movie rumors/schedules and then a second bump into the stratosphere in the period right before the movie/show, and then a dive, pandemic madness books for sure. But if you bought any of them during the initial bump I still think you're ok.

On 9/14/2023 at 2:03 PM, the blob said:

And most of them still are midling. FF 48 was, for a long time, a book that sold for well under guide. At one time I owned like 6 copies. I was buying them for $30-50 when they were $150 in guide, but stopped because if I ever tried to sell them I could only get $30-50 so I stopped buying the book. When FF 2 was coming out those copies were suddenly selling for guide or a little more and I unloaded them like a hot potato. Oddly enough, while the movie was a bust FF 48 kept on going up and up.

Outside of ASM 194, which is also pushed by black cover issues and she hasn't been in a movie yet, although we know that will happen one day, you are looking at absolute peaks on those books (and when was Eternals 1 $3000? Is that the variant or just some crazy outlier? Ditto She Hulk 1, was that really the going rate for a 9.8? I might have been on comics vacation that week.) Those books popped pretty quickly but there were definitely stages where there had clearly been a bump due to TV/movie rumors/schedules and then a second bump into the stratosphere in the period right before the movie/show, and then a dive, pandemic madness books for sure. But if you bought any of them during the initial bump I still think you're ok.

Yep There were sales reported of Eternals #1 for #3k.  9.8 She-hulk #1 direct sale hit $1800 at comiclink.  As I do not sell comics, I no longer pay for GPA (only did very briefly to check it out) and do not use go-collect but I'm sure some here can pull the data.

While it wont show on GPA etc I was at NYCC2021 and witnessed first hand 2 different Moe Ron's who paid $2000 for Direct Sale copies of ASM 361.  Was at one those tables with a black tablecloth laid down and bright portable lighting and their only stock was current hots that were way way over priced. I said to one of the folks just as he was counting his cash for purchasing the 361 and mentioned he could get it oneBay as buy-it-now  for $1200 (which was still way high BTW), He told me I was wrong and that must be some other book...So perhaps the rubes deserve what they get!!!! 

FF48 regardless of where it was at in 2005 has been a key in one form or another for decades, not clear on how it factors into my statements or was the point that the film kick started it? I think that woudl have occurred with the first Surfer app by this time anyhow :)  But yeah the book WAS undervalued for a long time.

Edited by MAR1979

On 9/14/2023 at 3:20 PM, MAR1979 said:

Yep There were sales reported of Eternals #1 for #3k.  9.8 She-hulk #1 direct sale hit $1800 at comiclink.  As I do not sell comics, I no longer pay for GPA (only did very briefly to check it out) and do not use go-collect but I'm sure some here can pull the data.

While it wont show on GPA etc I was at NYCC2021 and witnessed first hand 2 different Moe Ron's who paid $2000 for Direct Sale copies of ASM 361.  Was at one those tables with a black tablecloth laid down and bright portable lighting and their only stock was current hots that were way way over priced. I said to one of the folks just as he was counting his cash for purchasing the 361 and mentioned he could get it oneBay as buy-it-now  for $1200 (which was still way high BTW), He told me I was wrong and that must be some other book...So perhaps the rubes deserve what they get!!!! 

FF48 regardless of where it was at in 2005 has been a key in one form or another for decades, not clear on how it factors into my statements or was the point that the film kick started it? I think that woudl have occurred with the first Surfer app by this time anyhow :)  But yeah the book WAS undervalued for a long time.

All of those books except Eternals 1 were keys or semi keys too.  My point is that FF 48 is now 10X+ as much as its initial movie bump had it at. That might be true (or almost true) for some real SA keys now vs. 2005/2006, but not so much for a lot of semi-keys and such. 

Um, Amazing Spider-Man #347 CGC 9.8?  

ParadiseComic's copy has 44 bids and 52 watchers. I go and show the lowest to highest and I see ParadiseComic's copy at the lowest basically verifying that you can't really find it cheaper than $83.. WTF is happening here?  :ohnoez:

Edited by whetteon