• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Absolutes, Omnibuses, Oversize, Special Editions discussion thread

374 posts in this topic

Marvel has been soliciting some great upcoming omnibuses.

1. Deadpool by Kelly: Here's what it contains: Collecting Deadpool (1997) #1-33, #-1 and #0, Daredevil/Deadpool Annual ’97, Deadpool/Death Annual ’98, Baby’s First Deadpool Book, Amazing Spider-Man (1963) #47 and #611, and material from Deadpool (2008) #90.

I've been toying with buying a run of this for a while cause I love the issues I do have, and Im not thrilled with the treatment of the collections to date (Deadpool classic). Glad they skipped the 1st appearance & the miniseries since its such a tonal departure from Kelly's work. Hope Vol 2 is not far behind.

2. Im curious to see what other OHCs/OMnibuses will get the AvX box treatment. Basically they shipped the AvX omnibus in its own tear away cardboard slipcase/box to reduce shipping damage and shelf wear. Very smart, and I wonder if they'll use this going forward.

3. Roger Langridge's Muppet's Omnibus. So Marvel owns Boom, or at least owns their Muppets stuff. So here comes the omnibus collecting the 4 mini series by Landgridge. This omnibus is set to reprint The Muppet Show, The Muppet Show Comic Book: The Treasure of Peg-Leg Wilson, The Muppet Show Comic Book and The Muppets titles. I enjoyed the random issues I sampled over the last year. Seemed to be all ages, while still having some intelligent humor as well.

4. Spider-Man by Roger Stern Omnibus. I loved Stern's run on Spidey, cause that's when I got into comics. I have a trade of the Hobgoblin saga, but will love to own the whole run in a nice format. 1200 pages, Im betting this has Stern's ASM work as well as some of his PParker work.

5. Uncanny X-Force Omnibus (Remender) I read these in HC about 6 months ago and then sold them. May end up rebuying them as Im remembering the stories fondly.

6. The Uncanny X-Men Omnibus Volume 2. Finally! Volume 1 stopped at #131. This one will pick up there and go for 35-40 issues. So glad they finally got around to this since the first volume ends mid-story!

I own one Omnibus that sadly, I have never opened...

The Amazing Fantasy Omnibus collecting Amazing Adventures 1-6, Amazing Adult Fantasy 7-14 and Amazing Fantasy 15.

I also own the first Hardcover printings of:

Marvel Masterworks X-Men Volume 1 and Hulk Volume 1 along with the DC Archives Batman 1 and Best of Frank Miller Batman Leatherbound edition.

detail.jpg

I own one Omnibus that sadly, I have never opened...

The Amazing Fantasy Omnibus collecting Amazing Adventures 1-6, Amazing Adult Fantasy 7-14 and Amazing Fantasy 15.

I also own the first Hardcover printings of:

Marvel Masterworks X-Men Volume 1 and Hulk Volume 1 along with the DC Archives Batman 1 and Best of Frank Miller Batman Leatherbound edition.

detail.jpg

To me, if you only own one, thats the one to have ;)

Marvel has been soliciting some great upcoming omnibuses.

1. Deadpool by Kelly: Here's what it contains: Collecting Deadpool (1997) #1-33, #-1 and #0, Daredevil/Deadpool Annual ’97, Deadpool/Death Annual ’98, Baby’s First Deadpool Book, Amazing Spider-Man (1963) #47 and #611, and material from Deadpool (2008) #90.

I've been toying with buying a run of this for a while cause I love the issues I do have, and Im not thrilled with the treatment of the collections to date (Deadpool classic). Glad they skipped the 1st appearance & the miniseries since its such a tonal departure from Kelly's work. Hope Vol 2 is not far behind.

2. Im curious to see what other OHCs/OMnibuses will get the AvX box treatment. Basically they shipped the AvX omnibus in its own tear away cardboard slipcase/box to reduce shipping damage and shelf wear. Very smart, and I wonder if they'll use this going forward.

3. Roger Langridge's Muppet's Omnibus. So Marvel owns Boom, or at least owns their Muppets stuff. So here comes the omnibus collecting the 4 mini series by Landgridge. This omnibus is set to reprint The Muppet Show, The Muppet Show Comic Book: The Treasure of Peg-Leg Wilson, The Muppet Show Comic Book and The Muppets titles. I enjoyed the random issues I sampled over the last year. Seemed to be all ages, while still having some intelligent humor as well.

4. Spider-Man by Roger Stern Omnibus. I loved Stern's run on Spidey, cause that's when I got into comics. I have a trade of the Hobgoblin saga, but will love to own the whole run in a nice format. 1200 pages, Im betting this has Stern's ASM work as well as some of his PParker work.

5. Uncanny X-Force Omnibus (Remender) I read these in HC about 6 months ago and then sold them. May end up rebuying them as Im remembering the stories fondly.

6. The Uncanny X-Men Omnibus Volume 2. Finally! Volume 1 stopped at #131. This one will pick up there and go for 35-40 issues. So glad they finally got around to this since the first volume ends mid-story!

That's pretty cool that they're putting Kelly's Deadpool into an omnibus. That would make for fun reading and a lot of nostalgia for me.

I think we're only a few more weeks away from the new printings of the Ditko Spiderman and Cockrum X-Men Omni's. :banana:

That's actually a very interesting range of material. For me, much more so than the DC 2014 preview.

A few new Omnibuses tomorrow.

Avengers: West Coast Avengers Vol. 2

and new printuing of Daredevil by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson :whee:

I'm still semi-cheesed Marvel decided to reprint a bunch of these. I had First Printings of all of them )except the DD one) and paid GOOD money for them when it was believed they weren't going to be reprinted.

But I guess on the other hand I can finally get my DD one :)

I'm still semi-cheesed Marvel decided to reprint a bunch of these. I had First Printings of all of them )except the DD one) and paid GOOD money for them when it was believed they weren't going to be reprinted.

I've had some of the 1st editions and some of the 2nd editions.

Dont be cheesed about having the first editions. Most of them have better binding and ALL of them have much higher quality paper.

The new editions are more readable (cause they are lighter) but use thinner, lighter paper for production, and I dont really like the feel of it vs my 1st editions.

The Amazing Spider-Man Vol 1 is almost an inch less thick! Which is good in some ways, and bad in others.

I've had some of the 1st editions and some of the 2nd editions.

Dont be cheesed about having the first editions. Most of them have better binding and ALL of them have much higher quality paper.

The new editions are more readable (cause they are lighter) but use thinner, lighter paper for production, and I dont really like the feel of it vs my 1st editions.

The Amazing Spider-Man Vol 1 is almost an inch less thick! Which is good in some ways, and bad in others.

I did not know that.

I guess it's good on one hand and bad on the other. I was hoping for things to be consistent. I love how they look on my shelves!

Either way, I'll be gabbing the DD one. I still do actually need a *few* first editions still. Namely just the Silver Surfer, Women of Marvel and the Tomb of Dracula ones.

Totally forgot about this thread, but now that its here, let me share some shots of the DC Archive I finally found an affordable copy of (the case was dinged up, but the book inside was mint!, yes I said the CASE. This book comes in its own suitcase with a handle).

Here's the box (the book inside is about 10% smaller than the box)

IMG_0676_zpsa8059828.jpg

Here's a comic on it for comparison. Yes this thing is GIANT

IMG_0677_zps2a17b64a.jpg

Lovely Superman embossing on the cover

IMG_0680_zpsf8611659.jpg

Book is filled with great writeups of people, books, events, and anecdotes thru DC's history.

IMG_0681_zpse9a02303.jpg

The book is like a museum. Levitz found some of the rarest books and art in the hobby and included them:

IMG_0684_zps24147468.jpg

IMG_0686_zps26584a75.jpg

Some fun stuff I hadnt seen before:

IMG_0685_zps3cd5800e.jpg

IMG_0682_zps03ff9845.jpg

One of the best things was pictures of Julie Schwartz's meticulous record keeping, part of why we know who did what on so many stories that went uncredited.

442bb1ad-b6c6-4aa0-bde2-f85b2c2e8f0c_zpsf09691d1.jpg

Each era was divided by metalic pages (here's the start of the Silver Age)

IMG_0687_zpsbffaec44.jpg

And there were gatefold pages

IMG_0688_zpsfd846104.jpg

that would flip out to show the decade's timeline.

IMG_0683_zpse31e53b5.jpg

A book that should be on any comic historian's shelf.

Totally forgot about this thread, but now that its here, let me share some shots of the DC Archive I finally found an affordable copy of (the case was dinged up, but the book inside was mint!, yes I said the CASE. This book comes in its own suitcase with a handle).

Here's the box (the book inside is about 10% smaller than the box)

IMG_0676_zpsa8059828.jpg

Here's a comic on it for comparison. Yes this thing is GIANT

IMG_0677_zps2a17b64a.jpg

Lovely Superman embossing on the cover

IMG_0680_zpsf8611659.jpg

Book is filled with great writeups of people, books, events, and anecdotes thru DC's history.

IMG_0681_zpse9a02303.jpg

The book is like a museum. Levitz found some of the rarest books and art in the hobby and included them:

IMG_0684_zps24147468.jpg

IMG_0686_zps26584a75.jpg

Some fun stuff I hadnt seen before:

IMG_0685_zps3cd5800e.jpg

IMG_0682_zps03ff9845.jpg

One of the best things was pictures of Julie Schwartz's meticulous record keeping, part of why we know who did what on so many stories that went uncredited.

442bb1ad-b6c6-4aa0-bde2-f85b2c2e8f0c_zpsf09691d1.jpg

Each era was divided by metalic pages (here's the start of the Silver Age)

IMG_0687_zpsbffaec44.jpg

And there were gatefold pages

IMG_0688_zpsfd846104.jpg

that would flip out to show the decade's timeline.

IMG_0683_zpse31e53b5.jpg

A book that should be on any comic historian's shelf.

Want.

That book looks great, I need to find me a copy of that, thanks for sharing :grin:

It retailed for $200

Amazon has copies at $130

If you can find an ebay auction and win it for under $100, do it!

Its published by Taschen. They make AMAZING books/collections.

If you are leery of the size, or just interested in one era they are publishing separate era versions of the book (basically breaking the big book up into the eras)

There's a Golden Age of DC comics, and a Silver Age of DC Comics (both by Paul Levitz) out so far for about $40 each, new thru amazon.

canadasucks.png

I think Chapters has it too now that I think of it. I remember seeing this monster lol I'll check their price.

I'll probably have to cave with amazon though :facepalm:

canadasucks.png

I think Chapters has it too now that I think of it. I remember seeing this monster lol I'll check their price.

I'll probably have to cave with amazon though :facepalm:

I made a video of this book which I posted in this very thread about 6 months ago, if you want a look at the inside, plus a size comparison with other large books.

It's a few pages back, or alternatively you can just click on the link

Here's a little look into DC's massive "75 years of Comics

I bought it when it was released, about three years ago and paid less than $100 delivered to Belgium using Amazon.