• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2013 May 16 - 17 Vintage Comics & Comic Art Signature Auction

348 posts in this topic

Yeah, I'm down to two lots left that I am winning (one is a "low" end lot, the other a "mid" level lot) and 3 others that I may live bid on if the internet price stays relatively close to where it is now... otherwise, I am out of the rest and am happy to be a spectator. I honestly expect to walk away with having won nothing... and this was an auction that I was going hard at 4-5 pieces. And by that I mean 20-25% higher than I would have thought the pieces would go for.

Well, apparently many are employing the wait-it-out strategy. I attempted some price discovery on several items, only to find myself high bidder on 4 items - all at bids way below where these items will likely end up.

Since generally speaking, nobody buys "a piece of 3oz paper" for hundreds, if not thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars just because it looks pretty... Like it or not, it is an investment and if something bad happened to your art, you'd probably have issue with the money you've sunk into it or the value you perceive it was worth, more than the aesthetics that you've lost.

Do active buyers of art in one breath feel conflicted in when they see artwork sell for astronomically high prices that they want, so not simply coming in 2nd place and getting outbid, but more like seeing their let's say maximum $5k bid get trumped by a $25k sales price, feel positive or negative about that?

In one breath, as art collectors, it is extremely comforting to see similar (since art is one of a kind) possessions we own (so, if you own a Byrne X-Men, Miller Daredevil, Ditko Spider-Man, Kirby Fantastic Four, etc.) attain high sales prices beyond belief, validating in sort, the value of our own collections.

In another breath, to get out priced from the market and seem in able to secure artwork you like, could be extremely frustrating, especially if you hold no positions by a specific artist or title that you're eyeing but can no longer afford.

I don't own any of the high end stuff I listed, but just to see high sales prices and what seems to be recovering economy or somewhat more recession proof investment within the hobby is assuring to me. So, I personally enjoy seeing high prices, even if that means I am being out priced from potential ownership, maybe because I am thankful for what I do own, and in part also hope one day whatever I have becomes "the next popular artist/title" as well, be it for ego, sales or trade purposes.

Good luck to all biding on the Heritage auctions today!

Given the current state of affairs, I'm expecting some very impressive results today. Stocks, real estate, fine art, and the USD are all roaring now, so why wouldn't comic art follow suit?

Just a piece of friendly advice to all: I've seen a lot of collectors lose money in this hobby, so don't get pressured into getting out of your depth today. Someday (perhaps soon) stocks will cool, another currency will get "cleanest dirty shirt" status, and comic art will come to auction more cheaply. But, of course, if something comes up that you absolutely have to have, I hope you get it!

Best of luck to today's bidders. May we all land a grail!

Given the current state of affairs, I'm expecting some very impressive results today. Stocks, real estate, fine art, and the USD are all roaring now, so why wouldn't comic art follow suit?

Just a piece of friendly advice to all: I've seen a lot of collectors lose money in this hobby, so don't get pressured into getting out of your depth today. Someday (perhaps soon) stocks will cool, another currency will get "cleanest dirty shirt" status, and comic art will come to auction more cheaply. But, of course, if something comes up that you absolutely have to have, I hope you get it!

Best of luck to today's bidders. May we all land a grail!

The strong USD is a negative, as it doesn't affect US collectors (who transact everything in USD anyway), but makes prices more expensive for foreign collectors. Everything else I agree with, though. I'm expecting a strong auction given the abundant liquidity, record stock prices and rebounding real estate prices. I do expect people to ignore your advice, though, and get carried away on bidding. Rising prices make everyone feel richer, smarter and more confident, whether any of those are actually true or not. :insane:

All I know is there were two pieces of questionable quality, but high in camp/nostalgia (for me), that no one in the world but be would have been willing to pay more than $500 for and they each ended the internet bidding at 4-7 times that amount. lol

All I know is there were two pieces of questionable quality, but high in camp/nostalgia (for me), that no one in the world but be would have been willing to pay more than $500 for and they each ended the internet bidding at 4-7 times that amount. lol

I wonder if I'm the high bidder on one of those. lol The Marvel art in this auction that I was interested in is already priced too high/nutty for my tastes (aside from a couple of low-rent pieces, though I'll probably get outbid on those in the live session); everything left that I'm going after is stuff that nobody here would ever guess I'd be interested in. hm

NUts. I lost out again.

Bid higher next time. :gossip:

I could have. But I'm going to save up for something better. Neither of the New Warriors covers really appealed to me.

I wonder if I'm the high bidder on one of those. lol The Marvel art in this auction that I was interested in is already priced too high/nutty for my tastes (aside from a couple of low-rent pieces, though I'll probably get outbid on those in the live session); everything left that I'm going after is stuff that nobody here would ever guess I'd be interested in. hm

Good head fake Gene! (thumbs u

Scott

Since generally speaking, nobody buys "a piece of 3oz paper" for hundreds, if not thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars just because it looks pretty... Like it or not, it is an investment and if something bad happened to your art, you'd probably have issue with the money you've sunk into it or the value you perceive it was worth, more than the aesthetics that you've lost.

Do active buyers of art in one breath feel conflicted in when they see artwork sell for astronomically high prices that they want, so not simply coming in 2nd place and getting outbid, but more like seeing their let's say maximum $5k bid get trumped by a $25k sales price, feel positive or negative about that?

In one breath, as art collectors, it is extremely comforting to see similar (since art is one of a kind) possessions we own (so, if you own a Byrne X-Men, Miller Daredevil, Ditko Spider-Man, Kirby Fantastic Four, etc.) attain high sales prices beyond belief, validating in sort, the value of our own collections.

In another breath, to get out priced from the market and seem in able to secure artwork you like, could be extremely frustrating, especially if you hold no positions by a specific artist or title that you're eyeing but can no longer afford.

I don't own any of the high end stuff I listed, but just to see high sales prices and what seems to be recovering economy or somewhat more recession proof investment within the hobby is assuring to me. So, I personally enjoy seeing high prices, even if that means I am being out priced from potential ownership, maybe because I am thankful for what I do own, and in part also hope one day whatever I have becomes "the next popular artist/title" as well, be it for ego, sales or trade purposes.

Good luck to all biding on the Heritage auctions today!

I don't like high prices. They make me want to sell and make me not want to buy. I'm not a bsd by any stretch of the imagination and I can't have most of my financial net worth invested in OA. That being said, I might go a little crazy today... :(

I'm after one thing and one thing only. I am praying no one else has my obsession level on this piece, because my resources are limited to right around rational market value- a nerve racking position to be in!