• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lazarus - New Image book by Greg Rucka and Michael Lark

696 posts in this topic

The preview didn't thrill me on lazarus, and Greg isn't someone that I follow....

and beige I'm not sure how you missed black beetle, noir masterpiece....

Black mask seems to be comming out with some interesting things, and they have top writers and artists....ghostface seems to want to do this right and seems to be willing to throw the right amount of money out....

Personally I would look at brandon graham and james stokoe's stuff...I've been getting good amounts on their stuff and it's pretty rare

but speculating I think we need to start moving in a new direction.

What direction would that be?

Every time a book comes out it's the new Walking Dead and speculators start buying up multiples or 100's of copies. Then people complain that there's too many variants that are driven by sales of the #1 issue?

Or a movie/TV rumour is started that never eventuates (like the MAJORITY of them) or is total garbage ...Rinse and repeat.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/06/05/x-men-and-the-wake-top-the-advance-reorders-chart/

I posted this earlier today in The Wake thread. And I'm sure 99% of the forum checks Bleeding Cool already, but Lazarus #1 is going to be EVERYWHERE. I am looking forward to the title and I have #1 and #2 on my Previews orders, but speculating I think we need to start moving in a new direction.

Who saw Polarity from Boom coming? I knew it was going to be a good title (huge Say Anything fan), but I did not think to order huge on it like EoW. The Wake is one of the best new releases I read, but the combo of artist and writer won't have a high secondary because there are plenty to go around. We need to start looking at Boom, Vertigo, and whatever else there is. Titles like Black Beetle, 12 Reasons to Die, even Uber fly under the radar because of the publisher. I think things will be changing very soon with titles like Collider and Sixth Gun Gorilla.

Thoughts?

Hello fellow Say Anything fan :hi: I didn't order big on Polarity either. Too much of a risk for me, even as a fan of Max's music.

I've ordered Collider but I don't think Vertigo titles are good to speculate on these days. I've ordered a bunch of other small tittles like the stuff on Black Mask but just one of each, just for myself cos I like what Black Mask are doing. Can't really afford to speculate on every #1.

The preview didn't thrill me on lazarus, and Greg isn't someone that I follow....

Black mask seems to be comming out with some interesting things, and they have top writers and artists....ghostface seems to want to do this right and seems to be willing to throw the right amount of money out....

Personally I would look at brandon graham and james stokoe's stuff...I've been getting good amounts on their stuff and it's pretty rare

Dunno mate - I just did!

Looked at Collider - seems to be 'quirky' - like Physics police advice lines, 'a wormhole took my cat' etc.

It's from Vertigo - anyone know anything more about it?

For some reason this book looks like Epic Kill to me..

I thought this until I read the preview and then a few interviews with Rucka. He created the book with a "What if..." scenario in mind. I guess the idea came about during the depths of the recession. Basically, it's what if the economy never gets better. What happens then? Sounds like it will be a multi-dimensional story...unlike Epic Kill.

That only found different dimensions when it was crumbled up and thrown away.

Dunno mate - I just did!

Looked at Collider - seems to be 'quirky' - like Physics police advice lines, 'a wormhole took my cat' etc.

Collider looks pretty cool to me. I dig science books like Think Tank and Nowhere Men. Hopefully this can be a more reliable/on time Nowhere Men.

Edited by awakeintheashes

For some reason this book looks like Epic Kill to me..

I thought this until I read the preview and then a few interviews with Rucka. He created the book with a "What if..." scenario in mind. I guess the idea came about during the depths of the recession. Basically, it's what if the economy never gets better. What happens then? Sounds like it will be a multi-dimensional story...unlike Epic Kill.

That only found different dimensions when it was crumbled up and thrown away.

lol

Edited by Katchoo

Dunno mate - I just did!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=38323

It's an ongoing. And with recent success of The Wake (being a mini) and the hype now around Fables (Happy Potter production) I think it might go over to Collider. Maybe throw a white cover on it and it will sky rocket like NWM hah? Vertigo does it right with regular cover and an order incentive. No Phantom, Ghost, and if a RRP comes around they don't go back to #1 (Like Fables #6 RRP). I'm putting my money on non-Image titles from now on. 2013.

But back to Lazarus. We'll see later this month. I'm skeptical on the preview also.

Thoughts?

2012 > 2013

i'll finally agree with you on this, the paradigm has shifted. I was a big time seller Jan-Mar of 2012 books, into the run up. Mar/Apr I would quick flip any of the "flavor of the week" books i could find for cover and get on ebay quick.

May-June haven't bought anything except to read. I'm really happy with how well I did with my sales, and I am not looking to lower my average margin. I have a lot of quality books I still want to slab, but no desire to sell into the down time.

I have lazarus coming to read because I love Rucka. I'm not spending any money on flipping for the time being. I see inflection points in the comic market, and in the economy as a whole. It's a good time to hold what you believe in long term, dump anything you are on the fence about, and sit back with the old :popcorn:

We're just having a bit of down time during the summer. It'll pick up again (thumbs u

There are seasonal trends that I am sure are overlaid on top, but don't kid yourself about what else is going on. 2013 books, especially Image ones, are being massively overprinted due to speculators. Even if they are quality, and rise someday, there have been far to many books that have risen too far too fast.

I am not saying the modern market bubble has burst, but the irrational exuberance from early 2013 has past and people are realizing/learning. Lots of 2012 books are stabilizing to more realistic prices and that's a good thing long term.

Lot's of people post on these forums trying to talk up 2013 books, cause they bought tons of them and are trying to manufacture hype. Those shenanigans are becoming less and less effective as enough people have been burned to realize they dont need to rush in, and that the "easy" money has passed by already. Too many people are all trying to do the same thing at the same time.

I stand by my advice, anything you personally believe in long term, buy it during the dip but be conservative. If you are hanging on to something, not fully convinced, and can sell to break even or for a small profit, free that capital up. It's a good time to be on the sidelines and lock in profits.

I posted this earlier today in The Wake thread. And I'm sure 99% of the forum checks Bleeding Cool already, but Lazarus #1 is going to be EVERYWHERE. I am looking forward to the title and I have #1 and #2 on my Previews orders, but speculating I think we need to start moving in a new direction.

Who saw Polarity from Boom coming? I knew it was going to be a good title (huge Say Anything fan), but I did not think to order huge on it like EoW. The Wake is one of the best new releases I read, but the combo of artist and writer won't have a high secondary because there are plenty to go around. We need to start looking at Boom, Vertigo, and whatever else there is. Titles like Black Beetle, 12 Reasons to Die, even Uber fly under the radar because of the publisher. I think things will be changing very soon with titles like Collider and Sixth Gun Gorilla.

Thoughts?

Agree.

The best books going forward will be initially under the radar, like Injustice.

We're just having a bit of down time during the summer. It'll pick up again (thumbs u

There are seasonal trends that I am sure are overlaid on top, but don't kid yourself about what else is going on. 2013 books, especially Image ones, are being massively overprinted due to speculators. Even if they are quality, and rise someday, there have been far to many books that have risen too far too fast.

I am not saying the modern market bubble has burst, but the irrational exuberance from early 2013 has past and people are realizing/learning. Lots of 2012 books are stabilizing to more realistic prices and that's a good thing long term.

Lot's of people post on these forums trying to talk up 2013 books, cause they bought tons of them and are trying to manufacture hype. Those shenanigans are becoming less and less effective as enough people have been burned to realize they dont need to rush in, and that the "easy" money has passed by already. Too many people are all trying to do the same thing at the same time.

I stand by my advice, anything you personally believe in long term, buy it during the dip but be conservative. If you are hanging on to something, not fully convinced, and can sell to break even or for a small profit, free that capital up. It's a good time to be on the sidelines and lock in profits.

Image is no more for now. I agree with that. I feel like Sheltered might have a lower print, but nothing will have a lot of hype until Pretty Deadly in my opinion.

People want to speculate every month and you can't. I think people are learning that now. I've also seen sales on the boads drop since TWD season ended. I don't know if it was timing or what, but it happened. Maybe after con season it will pick back up.

And A LOT of people got burned on NWM. If you weren't one of the people who pre-ordered in bulk. The craze on the boards was from a small group of people until more people got involved. Just go back in the pages and read.

But I'm actually making more money now than I was in February-April (Peter Panzerfaust #9, Batman Inc. #8, East of West #1) and I am not speculating on any Image titles.

Lot of common-sense being spoken.

Finally the penny seems to have dropped that its not about being the first to buy a 9.8 slab of a book, or Jizz yer strides because some shonky writer comes on here flogging 'limited' releases - limited being to the general public, not to his 'mates' who flog them on the side on ebay and share profits.

Its about being pre-ordering:

Always has, always will.

Buy 100 of something @ $1.40 and it flops is a drop in the Ocean. At $1.40 you should break-even somewhere.

Spend $850 on NWM #1 variant #6295 - then, that's a hammer-blow which ever way you look at it.

I can guarantee you there are little groups keeping little secrets.

The days of:

"Quick, someone's offering NM #87 at 5 for $30" are long gone.

It's now "Thank-you insufficiently_thoughtful_person" :whistle: and I will have them myself.

Lurkers ain't getting much from here, TWD, most people have collected their runs, only the keys or the difficult to get (#26 for some reason) are holding value, and the new books are over speculated.

Now is the time to think for yourselves, as The Free Money Train isn't running this year.

I agree with CBT (again :ohnoez: ) Hold what you think will grow long-term, flip your drek, even for a loss and don't buy unless you really know what you are doing.

At the end of August it will be my first full year of flipping moderns.

I'll pop up a list of what Keys I have bought, starting from a balance of $2000.

You will be surprised - (except Ryan because he already knows - and done equally as well) what not following the herd can bring you.

Lot of common-sense being spoken.

Finally the penny seems to have dropped that its not about being the first to buy a 9.8 slab of a book, or Jizz yer strides because some shonky writer comes on here flogging 'limited' releases - limited being to the general public, not to his 'mates' who flog them on the side on ebay and share profits.

Its about being pre-ordering:

Always has, always will.

Buy 100 of something @ $1.40 and it flops is a drop in the Ocean. At $1.40 you should break-even somewhere.

Spend $850 on NWM #1 variant #6295 - then, that's a hammer-blow which ever way you look at it.

I can guarantee you there are little groups keeping little secrets.

The days of:

"Quick, someone's offering NM #87 at 5 for $30" are long gone.

It's now "Thank-you insufficiently_thoughtful_person" :whistle: and I will have them myself.

Lurkers ain't getting much from here, TWD, most people have collected their runs, only the keys or the difficult to get (#26 for some reason) are holding value, and the new books are over speculated.

Now is the time to think for yourselves, as The Free Money Train isn't running this year.

I agree with CBT (again :ohnoez: ) Hold what you think will grow long-term, flip your drek, even for a loss and don't buy unless you really know what you are doing.

At the end of August it will be my first full year of flipping moderns.

I'll pop up a list of what Keys I have bought, starting from a balance of $2000.

You will be surprised - (except Ryan because he already knows - and done equally as well) what not following the herd can bring you.

VERY good post...