• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman Adventures 12. Harley!
3 3

1,579 posts in this topic

I believe a board member sold a copy on here for $1600 like a month ago. Not going to get recorded by GPA but still counts. This book at the high end will fetch that kind of money now. Crazy but true

Someone "claimed" to do that. I believe the consensus at the time was that no one believed him.

-J.

My slab didn't have any mention of Harley on the label - only Catwoman. :grin:

It was a 9.4 - I bought it here on the boards for $25 shipped, I think. Couldn't sell it for a couple of years, and then let it go at $52 shipped. :D

GPA can be slow on the uptake as it has solf for more than $1400.

Actually, I got different results on my cell than on my laptop.

*Three* 9.8 copies have sold in the $1600 range, per ebay completed/sold auction search.

A 9.8 BA 12 paired with a 9.4 Harley Quinn 1994 1 shot (black Alex Ross cover, 1st print) sold for $2,0,50

The 1994 1-shot , slabbed in 9.4 trades for around $150-200.

So, that sale can be viewed as $1850 to $1900 for a BA 12 in 9.8.

Just be mindful, two of the sales you think went in the '$1600 range' did not.

This one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151546971810

Which shows as ending at $1600 was actually sold at a best offer of $1400

And this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141466670430

Which shows as ending at $1650 was actually sold at a best offer of $1300

The only sale to reach over $1600 was in October:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/311150248804

Thanks, that's what I get for using a "smart" phone to double check my numbers...

That still leave us with an outlier sale of $1690 for a 9.8, back in October, which is before (I believe) the news on her officially being casted in the Suicide Squad movie was released.

That was a mycomicshop "sale" and they are notorious for listing books on ebay as being "sold" (usually Copper Age books or thereabouts) at a full price that is very often significantly higher than multiple other listings on ebay. GPA still picks it up and records the sale but it almost always stands out as an outlier sale. There are recent sales of ASM 300 and 361, as well as NM 87 where they have done the same thing.

-J.

What do you mean exactly? MCS They are notorious. You make them sound shady. Is Comic connect notorious for selling Action Comics #1s? Just a poor choice of words or have you gone from bashing BA12 to now bashing sellers of as well?

Who's "bashing" anything ? Maybe you should check your own choice of words and save the hyperbole. Marking books as "sold" on ebay at prices they did not actually sell for is what mycomicshop does, usually when the book actually sold directly from their site at a lower price. The sheer volume of their sales almost guarantees some bad sales slip through. Pointing this out with regards to this (and other books) does not constitute "bashing".

-J.

I'm pretty sure most people are aware that you can actually buy the book and save a little bit going direct through MCS. Some buyers may elect to paymore and go through ebay and earn the ebay buck and often enough 4x ebay bucks. You can also use paypal on ebay. you can not on MCS. You must add 3% to a consigned book on the MCS site. Also I don't see how they would be able to show the sale was actually on ebay unless the sale was actually on ebay. Does it say the listing has ended or does it show sold and the price is in green. How is it possible without paying fees? why would they care to pay fees?

I don't sell comic books, so all I can do is throw a hypothetical question right back at you: would YOU pay $600 more for the an identical book just for the privilege of buying from MCS? On ebay, no less, not even direct ?

Probably not.

MCS is a very high volume seller on ebay no one knows what kind of arrangement they have as a result. But it is clearly unique.

-J.

if you've been tracking MCS sales for a certain length of time and had some hard facts to base the "Notorious" labeling, then I say you got something. However you select the hottest book today and undoubtably the largest comic book seller on eBay single sale to make your statement. We all know you missed the boat on BA12 and this thread is riddled with posts from you with nothing positive about it. Now you want to drag MCS down because one of their consigners sold a BA12 for a big price. What does MCS have to do with it? They don't set the price. The consigners do. MCS get 3% of the sale from the buyer and 8% from the seller. Sure they can have a special negotiated arrangement with ebay but that's all part of business, a the power to them if they earned that perk, but Imfamous rather than notorious is the adjective I'd be using.

Junk, you have an odd way of making assumptions about my collection and only regarding selective points from my posts. I'm pretty sure I mentioned three other "Copper Age" books that I have seen MCS mark listing as "sold" at exorbitant prices that are way out of whack with multiple other listing that are readily viewable on ebay. This has nothing to do with "missing the boat" on what you call "the hottest book" (it's not, you should really venture out from the CA and MA sections by the way), and everything to do with pointing out the obvious shilling and pumping that's going on with this book. :shy:

-J.

:grin:

It's sad when a person don't have any thing to do but to attack a book and when that

Don't work attack a honorable company. hm

hm

...so the high "sale" that triggered these outlandish asking prices and excessive ebay shilling in the first place turned out to be bogus after all.... kudos to MCS for working with GPA to screen out that sort of thing. Wonder what would have happened if that reporting error was caught sooner.... hm

-J.

huh. I always assumed that the $1690 price was realized (I'm the consigner)

I listed it at $1495.99 on the site and didn't really check it until a few days later when it was already marked as buyer paid. I was looking through ebay auctions after the fact and saw the $1690 one and assumed that was the sale that took place since there's no way to tell if it sold through mcs or ebay after it's been paid for on the mcs site. (I would be getting the same payment regardless of which site it sold from) I guess I failed to notice the date on that ebay listing. I was all proud of that $1690 that it had to be pumped up to to cover fees lol . Like I said though, it really didn't make any difference as far as what I got paid for it.

Also, I'm the proud non-seller of those Ama #361's and NM 87's. Some sad individual decided to purchase those through Ebay with no intention of paying. They were held up for quite a while because of it.

Thanks, that's what I get for using a "smart" phone to double check my numbers...

That still leave us with an outlier sale of $1690 for a 9.8, back in October, which is before (I believe) the news on her officially being casted in the Suicide Squad movie was released.

That was a mycomicshop "sale" and they are notorious for listing books on ebay as being "sold" (usually Copper Age books or thereabouts) at a full price that is very often significantly higher than multiple other listings on ebay. GPA still picks it up and records the sale but it almost always stands out as an outlier sale. There are recent sales of ASM 300 and 361, as well as NM 87 where they have done the same thing.

-J.

What do you mean exactly? MCS They are notorious. You make them sound shady. Is Comic connect notorious for selling Action Comics #1s? Just a poor choice of words or have you gone from bashing BA12 to now bashing sellers of as well?

Who's "bashing" anything ? Maybe you should check your own choice of words and save the hyperbole. Marking books as "sold" on ebay at prices they did not actually sell for is what mycomicshop does, usually when the book actually sold directly from their site at a lower price. The sheer volume of their sales almost guarantees some bad sales slip through. Pointing this out with regards to this (and other books) does not constitute "bashing".

-J.

This statement is not correct:

Marking books as "sold" on ebay at prices they did not actually sell for is what mycomicshop does, usually when the book actually sold directly from their site at a lower price.

If a buyer clicks the eBay Buy It Now button, eBay marks the listing as sold. If a book sells on mycomicshop.com, then we tell ebay to end the eBay listing, and the listing should show as ended, not sold.

Your language makes it sound like we are actively involved in creating false sales data, and that's not the case. The effect you are observing is a buyer clicking the Buy It Now on eBay and GPA collecting the sales data despite the sale not actually completing. We have no involvement in that process other than creating the initial eBay listing.

For sales that take place on eBay, GPA collects that data themselves. We are not involved in reporting those sales or confirming whether a sale did or did not actually take place. If you have a concern about any sales of NM 87, ASM 361, or anything else, please PM me with the sale you're concerned about, I'll confirm if the sale completed or not, and if not I will let GPA know to remove it.

For sales that take place on mycomicshop.com, we provide sales data to GPA, and we don't report sales until the book is paid for and shipped. I've PM'd George at GPA to ask if it would be possible for us to switch to reporting our own eBay sales, rather than GPA collecting them, so that we can report only the purchases that were successfully paid for and shipped.

Regarding the BA12 CGC 9.8 sale:

Oct-29-2014 $1690 0235918008

The ebay user never completed their purchase, so we never received an order from eBay. The item would have been automatically relisted on MCS and ebay after enough time had passed without payment. However, that same item did sell a couple months later December 30, through mycomicshop.com, for $1495.95, and that sale really happened and shipped to the buyer.

A 9.6 sold for $800 last night in the comiclink auctions. I think the demand is real.

Waiting for a certain somebody to come in and say that it was shilled and that comiclink is a bad barometer... :blahblah:

:hi:

Unfortunately the shilling is real too. ComicLink auctions are harder to shill though. As we have seen, bogus ebay sales are what largely spike GPA, and the market follows (for awhile at least).

And speaking of shilled ebay auctions....same bidder running up both auctions here:

hm

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=251801797684&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=141546795507&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

Buyer beware.

-J.

A 9.6 sold for $800 last night in the comiclink auctions. I think the demand is real.

Waiting for a certain somebody to come in and say that it was shilled and that comiclink is a bad barometer... :blahblah:

Unfortunately the shilling is real too. ComicLink auctions are harder to shill though. As we have seen, bogus ebay sales are what largely spike GPA, and the market follows (for awhile at least).

And speaking of shilled ebay auctions....same bidder running up both auctions here:

hm

How about you just come out and say the entire back issue market is driven by Shilling. That way it will save you the time of linking your suspicious auctions and everyone else won't have to wade through all your comments.

Your entitled to your opinion, but its gotten to the point of exhaustion and its driving me away from the boards in a negative way.

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=251801797684&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=141546795507&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

Buyer beware.

-J.

How about you just come out and say the entire back issue market is driven by Shilling. That way it will save you the time of linking your suspicious auctions and everyone else won't have to wade through all your comments.

Your entitled to your opinion, but its gotten to the point of exhaustion and its driving me away from the boards in a negative way.

Feel free to create your own thread about your suspicions. That way you don't thread *spoon* this one.

Edited by topnotchman

hm

Buyer beware.

-J.

Feel free to create your own thread about your suspicions. That way you don't thread *spoon* this one.

Nothing remotely out of the ordinary here. This section reserved for cheerleading only.

Got it. (thumbs u

-J.