• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tecs 1-26 In Grade -- The Quest Is Finally Over

546 posts in this topic

11 is very cool (thumbs u

Peter's copy is amazing but really has to be seen in person. Flessel's art is impressive enough that I think it's worth interrupting the thread flow to post a scan of a raw book that lacks the glare and moiré effects of the scan of the slabbed copy.

Detective11.jpg

Now, back to our regularly scheduled thread posting...

Here is the #12, raw but at least a 7.0 ( :foryou: to Mr. Carey):

It sure is purdy - for those of you who know Dave Kapelka, I obtained this book from him at SDCC. Very happy that it found a home with RHG (and as a part of his magnificent run)!

If Mr. Carey graded it a 7.0, that means it's probably an 8.0.

Funny you should say that - the last two Detectives I moved (one to Andre Z. and the other to Jamie G.) I called 7.0 and they each came back 8.0 from CGC.

Oh well, everyone was happy with the deals so that's what counts.

Every time I look at the scan (about a dozen times today already), I do miss this 'Tec 12 more and more, however.

Tec #13 has always been one of my favorite Flessel covers. But it's a tough book to find in grade and unrestored. I'd love to upgrade if anyone has a better copy than this CGC 6.5, which is second in the census behind the 9.2 Church copy: 137004.jpg

One of my favorites as well. I liked it so much I bought a Flessel recreation of the cover for me back in the early 90s

Apologies for the lousy picture.

flesselcommission_zps0ffacab3.jpg

11 is very cool (thumbs u

Peter's copy is amazing but really has to be seen in person. Flessel's art is impressive enough that I think it's worth interrupting the thread flow to post a scan of a raw book that lacks the glare and moiré effects of the scan of the slabbed copy.

Detective11.jpg

Now, back to our regularly scheduled thread posting...

Detective 11 was one of the first golden age books I ever bought. I think I was 16 when I got it. I remember staring at it for hours and hours. Sadly, I had to sell it a few years later to help pay for college tuition (but it was worth it!).

Since the 26-book run took 20 years to acquire, I'm posting it over 20 days. The second half of the run starts today. With one exception, the last 13 issues are all in the vf range or better. 10 of them are pedigrees.

The #14 is one of the first two Church Tecs I acquired more than two decades ago. Once again, Flessel's attention to detail was impressive. He pain-stakingly drew the grain in the wood flooring and the patterns in the G-Man's wing tip shoes.

137009.jpg.c39a6d2e87075771ee0a05d84fb33021.jpg

137010.jpg.a527e21e567a32d084f9db4f740dbaf3.jpg

Since the 26-book run took 20 years to acquire, I'm posting it over 20 days. The second half of the run starts today. With one exception, the last 13 issues are all in the vf range or better. 10 of them are pedigrees.

The #14 is one of the first two Church Tecs I acquired more than two decades ago. Once again, Flessel's attention to detail was impressive. He pain-stakingly drew the grain in the wood flooring and the patterns in the G-Man's wing tip shoes.

Oh, that is VERY nice. I wanted the Billy Wright copy pretty badly, but got sidetracked. An excellent cover, one of my favorites from the early run. Is there anything better in comicland than an over-sized early DC in pristine shape? I think not.