• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tecs 1-26 In Grade -- The Quest Is Finally Over

546 posts in this topic

Not surprisingly, in my efforts to acquire the run in as high grade as possible, I ended up with several duplicates as I upgraded books over time. Here are some of them:

That 5.5 Tec 22 looks dreamy :cloud9::luhv::baiting:

It is. It has white pages, whereas my 6.5 copy is cr/ow. This is a quandary I find myself in frequently, where the higher graded book has lower quality pages or doesn't present as well. It makes it tough to decide which one is the keeper.

Not surprisingly, in my efforts to acquire the run in as high grade as possible, I ended up with several duplicates as I upgraded books over time. Here are some of them:

It is. It has white pages, whereas my 6.5 copy is cr/ow. This is a quandary I find myself in frequently, where the higher graded book has lower quality pages or doesn't present as well. It makes it tough to decide which one is the keeper.

Well, both of them, of course.

Well, both of them, of course.

Don't tell him that!! (tsk)

137503.jpg

Wow...

CGC are so erratic with their PQ ratings that I wouldn't get too wrapped up about the c-ow designation of the 6.5 copy.

I love this pic!

I can't believe a single collector actually owns a set of Detective 1-26 ... much less in high grade. I've never even seen some of these covers. This is just utterly mindblowing.

This is the most important comic book of the 1937-38 period. It established a market for something besides funny animals and newspaper reprints in comic books.

It leaves me to wonder ... why did the Batman take off when the Crimson Avenger didn't?

Finally managed to take a couple of group shots:

why did the Batman take off when the Crimson Avenger didn't?

Much better visual design for the costume has to be a key part of it and stories by Bill Finger are likely the other part. Crimson Avenger was one of many also-rans created in the wake of the success of Superman.

why did the Batman take off when the Crimson Avenger didn't?

Much better visual design for the costume has to be a key part of it and stories by Bill Finger are likely the other part. Crimson Avenger was one of many also-rans created in the wake of the success of Superman.

Also, the Crimson Avenger wasn't really a superhero at first, he was a masked crime-fighter in the tradition of pulp heroes like The Spider, The Bat, and The Phantom Detective, radio's The Green Hornet and in comics The Clock, all of whom predate Superman.

The Sandman was also initially in this vein, although his gas gun was a specific gimmick that helped give him a more distinct identity. If the character hadn't been revamped by Simon & Kirby I'm not sure he would be all that more remembered than the Crimson Avenger.

What sets Batman apart from these earlier characters, even though he doesn't have any super powers, and was clearly inspired more by the pulp mystery men than by Superman, is the circus performer costume with a logo on the chest, which was the Superman inspired template for most costumed characters that followed. Even there Superman wasn't exactly the first, as the Phantom had been running around in purple long johns since 1936.

One thing I love about these and other DC comics covers from this early period is the lack of captions or balloons on so many of them. It makes more sense from a commercial point of view to say something about the characters on the cover, but fortunately in this early period DC hadn't figured that out yet. That is also what makes Action #1's cover so great -- you are not told who this guy in a costume is who is hoisting a car over his head. I wish DC had continued this into the '40s.

Has anyone done a book of prewar DC covers?

33ol5bo.jpg

:o(worship)

I must have missed the Tec #22. I hadn't seen it until now. That cover is just amazing.

I really wish that they'd reprint these.

+1

It is a real pleasure to see what 20 years of true comic book collecting can do.

I do not think it could be ever be duplicated in those conditions in the next 100 years.

Someday, a museum is gonna come knocking on your door ( George Lucus) and they are gonna say put your price on the check....you probably wont do it, but I take my hat off to you.