• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tecs 1-26 In Grade -- The Quest Is Finally Over

546 posts in this topic

Some have asked about reprints - have any of these been reprinted? Where?

Sarg - you make a really great point & I think that is something that greatly adds to the appeal for me.

This collection is so beautiful it makes me want to cry...

Sarg - you make a really great point & I think that is something that greatly adds to the appeal for me.

There was a Millenium comic edition of Tec 1 (I think I have a copy lying around somewhere). Very little of the other interiors has been reprinted at this point.

The covers of all the early DCs are reprinted in the Gerber Guide.

Gerber_frontcover.jpg

I meant a book where the covers are reproduced at 100% or larger than their actual size.

There was a Millenium comic edition of Tec 1 (I think I have a copy lying around somewhere). Very little of the other interiors has been reprinted at this point.

The covers of all the early DCs are reprinted in the Gerber Guide.

Gerber_frontcover.jpg

I'm not aware of full size reproductions. There are very few books that have even a few full size reproductions on any comics.

I'm not aware of full size reproductions. There are very few books that have even a few full size reproductions on any comics.

For real. I'd love to buy many full size color reproductions... can't say I've ever seen any though.

For real. I'd love to buy many full size color reproductions... can't say I've ever seen any though.

Here are a couple that are close to real size.

These are cleaned up images of the covers and printed on a high quality press/paper.

http://www.amazon.com/Action-Mystery-Thrills-Covers-1933-45/dp/1606994948/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1376716033&sr=8-2&keywords=greg+sadowski

These are pictures of actual comics, not always in nice shape and not always reproduced accurately.

http://www.amazon.com/golden-age-comic-books-1937-1945/dp/0345255356/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1376716169&sr=1-1&keywords=richard+o%27brien+comic

33ol5bo.jpg

smiley-twothumbs.gif>>> [font:Times New Roman]Awesome!!![/font]

It is a real pleasure to see what 20 years of true comic book collecting can do.

I do not think it could be ever be duplicated in those conditions in the next 100 years.

Someday, a museum is gonna come knocking on your door ( George Lucus) and they are gonna say put your price on the check....you probably wont do it, but I take my hat off to you.

:applause:

[font:Times New Roman](Sometimes less is more.) :gossip:

[/font]

33ol5bo.jpg

Peter, I loved the back story behind the acquisitions. I, for one, would buy a book that reprinted these covers in full with your detailed annotations for the story behind getting each and every one of them as well as the respective provenance of each item for as long as you were able to trace.

My focus isn't in league with pre-hero golden age in grade, but I know a thing or two about 20+ years of collecting something. . .and the patience of getting 1 or 2 books a year. Admittedly, most years are more like 6-8 issues for me, but I've had a few dry spells where I've been lucky to get a single war book.

My hats off to you, buddy. Looking forward to your next thread.

Peter, I loved the back story behind the acquisitions. I, for one, would buy a book that reprinted these covers in full with your detailed annotations for the story behind getting each and every one of them as well as the respective provenance of each item for as long as you were able to trace.

My focus isn't in league with pre-hero golden age in grade, but I know a thing or two about 20+ years of collecting something. . .and the patience of getting 1 or 2 books a year. Admittedly, most years are more like 6-8 issues for me, but I've had a few dry spells where I've been lucky to get a single war book.

My hats off to you, buddy. Looking forward to your next thread.

Thanks Mick. Unfortunately, the rarity of the few books I need to start the next similar thread make it unlikely there will be a next thread.

Btw, your war books collection is exceptional. (worship)

I picked up a low grade #9 and #23(my 2nd 0.5!!) but I had the privilege of seeing an ungraded #15 which I think would grade 7.5 or an 8.0. The person was going to submit it to CGC at the Pitts show last weekend so Im curious to see the grade when he gets it back. Was the #15 Mile High not graded yet? I was just as curious to see what the consensus would be on that book.

Many of the early Detective Comics have fascinating covers, but #15 has got to have the most beautiful image among them, followed by #8 and #18. I like the raw covers a lot, but 15 is really well composed.

Detective #22 is the first masked hero cover in the title, showcasing Jim Chambers' classic depiction of the Crimson Avenger.

My non-pedigree copy is a CGC 6.5:

Iconic book.

More Flessel trivia: Because of the confusion over who drew the cover of #18, along with the fact that many collectors believed that the last cover signed by Flessel was #17, there was uncertainty regarding the artist on #19. Early CGC labels did not attribute the #19 cover to Flessel. In fact, however, Flessel did initial the cover (with a "cf" similar to his initials on Tec #3), but the initials were cut off on most of the printed copies. The initials can be seen on a very few copies. For example, you can just make out half of the initials in the lower right corner of the Church copy.

Interesting stuff! (thumbs u

Yes it is! :)

Here's an illustrative comparison of the Flessel monogram.

First the full initials from DC#3, then the half-cut DC#19 Church example, and finally to an almost fully intact monogram from an uncertified copy.

CF-COMPARE.jpg

I just noticed that the CGC label on the newly (over)pressed Church copy of Tec #18 (which can be found in the current Heritage auction) states "Last Craig Flessel cover in Detective." The graders obviously don't read these boards or they would have learned that Flessel did the cover of #19 (see above). To make matters worse, they misspelled "Creig" !