• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rat Queens - Kurtis J. Wiebe, Meg Dejmal, John Upchurch
2 2

1,617 posts in this topic

That's a beauty :applause:

I'm not going to candy coat it. I'm going to miss Roc. He was/is a superstar imo. I hope things work out for him and his family. On the other hand, I can't imagine another replacement who understands how this book should look better than Stjepan. He gets it. I was going to continue to buy the book no matter because the writing is fantastic AND Kurtis is A++++ in my book. I was prepared for the worst in the art department and I couldn't have been more wrong. :banana:

At first glance, I love the RQ #10 cover.

But it looks like Violet has thunder thighs.

Overall, I'm excited for the new issue and upset to see RQ missing from:

Paste Magazine's top 25 comics of 2014

The books on there that I've read, of which there are a few... hard to argue with their inclusion. I agree Rat Queens could be on the list, and Manhattan Projects, my favorite, doesn't surprise me in it's absence since it never gets much love.

I honestly can't understand the Sex Criminals / Pretty Deadly / Wake appeal though. Everyone's taste is different I guess.

"Critics" seem to love Sex Criminals...

Seems that way - I'm glad it has an audience. Creating these books is a lot of work, so I'm glad people enjoy even the ones that I don't "get." I can always make my own list and put Rat Queens and Manhattan Projects and Lazarus on it. I'm sure people would be wondering what I see in some of them within an hour of it going up :)

Anyway, to get back on track, I'm really interested to see Sejic's work here. Before it was 'official' I was commenting that I've followed his work, including some of his recent work (Aphrodite IX), and it has mostly been dark in palette and tone. Is it just me, or is this a big departure for him? I can't find much in his catalog that has much in common with RQs, so I'm interested to see how it plays out.

Actual artist...? Yeah, it's Stjepan Sejic (which is what everyone has been talking about all day today).

Oh that's cool, I misunderstood the conversation and thought people were just saying they wish he would be the artist. Yeah, stuff looks good, and a good fit for the series.

Kurtis has posted the upcoming publication schedule on the Rat Queens Facebook page:

"Rat Queens Braga One Shot: January 14

Rat Queens #9 (Sejic): February 26

Rat Queens #10 (Sejic): March 26

April Break

Rat Queens #12 (Sejic): May

(The Braga issue is technically #11, but is now being called a Special One Shot)

What's important to note is that beginning in January, you will have a Rat Queens issue every month (with only the April break) from now on. No more delays."

The Braga story was originally scheduled to be issue #11. It seems as though they have moved it up from April to January to fill the hole in the release schedule caused by the change in artists.

At first glance, I love the RQ #10 cover.

But it looks like Violet has thunder thighs.

Overall, I'm excited for the new issue and upset to see RQ missing from:

Paste Magazine's top 25 comics of 2014

The books on there that I've read, of which there are a few... hard to argue with their inclusion. I agree Rat Queens could be on the list, and Manhattan Projects, my favorite, doesn't surprise me in it's absence since it never gets much love.

I honestly can't understand the Sex Criminals / Pretty Deadly / Wake appeal though. Everyone's taste is different I guess.

Your last sentence pretty much is what I was going to write. Those three are why I likely won't check out some of the interesting unknowns on his list.

Pretty Deadly was Pretty awful.

Patrick

Your last sentence pretty much is what I was going to write. Those three are why I likely won't check out some of the interesting unknowns on his list.

Pretty Deadly was Pretty awful.

Patrick

Pretty Deadly has story of Life, Death, Death's love and Death's daughter.

The story tries to be grandiose like Sandman and East of West. But they crammed way too much story into its first five issues; the cramming led to an utter lack of anticipation & build-up -- it was too hurried.

It seems as though the first story arc is the build up of the character Ginni who was to be a bit of a super-hero like the Crow -- avenging the wrong-doing against those too weak to fight.

All efforts are for not because we won't see any more issues starring Ginni.

I couldn't stand Sex Criminals. Just comes off like two guys who are obnoxiously self-impressed about how clever they can be with sex jokes. So incredibly juvenile. (shrug)

I couldn't have worded it any better myself.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

The Xmas deals continued last night (all comics listed below are CGC 9.8 blue).

TWD #48 (first Eugene, Rosita, Abraham): $122

TWD #27 (first Governor): $167

And the one I won: Rat Queens 1A, 2B, 3B: $77