• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,222 posts in this topic

On 10/14/2022 at 11:18 AM, Robot Man said:

The “CDL” below the issue number is the first giveaway. Poor printing is another. Ad on the back cover as well. 

That's good to know.  I see that there are only 9 copies of this on the census.  Did they have a lower print run than the US edition or are they just not slabbed?

On 10/14/2022 at 1:21 PM, WolverineX said:

That's good to know.  I see that there are only 9 copies of this on the census.  Did they have a lower print run than the US edition or are they just not slabbed?

Lower print run. Intended for Canada only. But often much lower quality and often different contents than the US originals.

I have a few but have upgraded them all to a US copy as well. 

On 10/14/2022 at 1:21 PM, WolverineX said:

Probably both, I believe Canadian EC print runs were in the 20 to 30,000 and US EC's were in the 300 to 400,000.

On 10/14/2022 at 8:52 AM, Paul © ® ™ said:

I remember many years ago when I first got into EC, and was a bit of a rookie to the GA.

I bought a copy of HOF 16 at what I thought was a good price. When I got it and started to read it, I was disgusted by the quality of the artwork and interior, and I thought, 'what's all this fuss about EC?' This really does suck.

Eventually the penny dropped and I realised it was a canuck copy. Never bothered buying another CDL after that.

It's strange when you consider that SUPERIOR are printed in Canada and yet there's nothing wrong with those books.

I once read that the plates EC gave to Superior to use were cardboard, and thus didn't strike as well as metal plates would.  Although IDK if that was true, I have copies of some American books re-published in Canada, that seemed to have interiors every bit as good as their American printed counterparts.  Here's the FC and BC of a Canadian reprint of Mystic #1 Mystic 1 Canadian.jpg

Mystic 1 Cndn BC.jpg

Edited by fifties

On 10/20/2022 at 11:51 PM, sartrexpress said:

Here are three newer additions ...

mens adventure 25 8.5.jpg

Mystery tales 15 9.jpg

marvel tales 112 9.4.jpg

Extremely nice books! Any info or link to the Black Cat Collection? I forget about where that came from and the origin of the stickers. Applied by OO or the auction house.

On 10/21/2022 at 8:34 AM, Jayman said:

Extremely nice books! Any info or link to the Black Cat Collection? I forget about where that came from and the origin of the stickers. Applied by OO or the auction house.

Weren’t they Illmannered’s books?

On 10/21/2022 at 8:35 AM, bronze johnny said:

Weren’t they Illmannered’s books?

Yes they were