• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Okajima pedigree
25 25

1,544 posts in this topic

Here's two more camp era books for posterity sake from the most recent CLink auction. I bid on the Police but bowed out when it went over $600.

YUo47vC.jpg

gfCmKSh.jpg

The Shadow Comic (v4issue7) is from near the end of the camp era markings, it has a "4" marking and what looks like a check mark. It has a date of 9-?-44 and if you look in the upper left you can see the "Okajima" -script but it is VERY faded. The book is slabbed, just not CGC.

Here's two more camp era books for posterity sake from the most recent CLink auction. I bid on the Police but bowed out when it went over $600.

YUo47vC.jpg

gfCmKSh.jpg

The Shadow Comic (v4issue7) is from near the end of the camp era markings, it has a "4" marking and what looks like a check mark. It has a date of 9-?-44 and if you look in the upper left you can see the "Okajima" -script but it is VERY faded. The book is slabbed, just not CGC.

CLink sure doesn't do too good a job highlighting pedigree copies -- or else I don't do too good a job searching for them -- because I blew right through those listings without noticing.

The Shadow looks very familiar...I think it was on WorldWide a year or so ago, but sold before I saw it.

Looks familiar but you never saw it? :baiting:

Who knows what comics lurk on dealers' web sites? The Sha knows!

The Shadow looks very familiar...I think it was on WorldWide a year or so ago, but sold before I saw it.

I think it's the one that was on Jamie Graham's wall at WonderCon.

CLink sure doesn't do too good a job highlighting pedigree copies -- or else I don't do too good a job searching for them -- because I blew right through those listings without noticing.

You cant search for them from what I recall. All you can do is CTRL+F "Oka" each page of the auction.

The annoying thing to me is the column inches they give to the JAMIE GRAHAM COLLECTION while the actual pedigree got 1-2 sentences up until this most recent auction.

If I had been selling this book I would have been pissed that CLINK gave NO mention in the description of the pedigree:

The Overstreet Price Guide lists this issue in the condition offered for $130.

This item comes from the personal collection of Jamie Graham, founder and owner of Graham Crackers Comics, one of the nation's largest comic book retailers. Assembled over decades, the collection includes examples from many of the most significant and desirable runs of the Golden Age, as well as select material from the Silver Age and beyond. Graham acquired examples not just for their individual quality, but also as a completist, building impressive runs of major superhero titles like Action Comics, Detective Comics, and Marvel Mystery Comics. Another collecting focus was on stand-out covers and esoteric genre titles from the 1940s and 50s. ComicLink is thrilled to have been selected as the auction house of Jamie Graham's collection, and items from the collection will be offered throughout this and other upcoming auctions.

at least they gave the actual pedigree equal space in this most recent auction...

The offered CGC 8.5 VF+ for Police Comics #30 is from the Okajima Pedigree collection, is 1 of just 2 in grade, and ranks overall in the Top 4 highest graded that CGC has ever certified. The fascinating story of the Okajima Pedigree centers on a young Japanese American girl. Forced with her family into a Japanese internment camp in California after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, the imprisoned girl read and amassed a collection of books that today are recongizable for their cover notations. The Okajima books generally have a high degree of page preservation, and the offered example was assigned near perfect Off-White to White Pages. The Overstreet Price Guide lists this issue in the condition offered for $504.

This item comes from the personal collection of Jamie Graham, founder and owner of Graham Crackers Comics, one of the nation's largest comic book retailers. Assembled over decades, the collection includes examples from many of the most significant and desirable runs of the Golden Age, as well as select material from the Silver Age and beyond. Graham acquired examples not just for their individual quality, but also as a completist, building impressive runs of major superhero titles like Action Comics, Detective Comics, and Marvel Mystery Comics. Another collecting focus was on stand-out covers and esoteric genre titles from the 1940s and 50s. ComicLink is thrilled to have been selected as the auction house of Jamie Graham's collection, and items from the collection will be offered throughout this and other upcoming auctions.

I think it's the one that was on Jamie Graham's wall at WonderCon.

it was; it started out in a little stack ricky bought at the store several years ago. it was just about the only g.a. book in said stack, and he called me knowing i liked the ped. i sold it to jamie a few years ago here on the boards, along with the okajima boy 16. the latter book went crazy in an auction a year or so ago.

i bought back the skull cover okajima in the recent auction. glad to have it back, as i've sorta become interested in shadows since i sold it to jamie.

Interestingly, there are three 9.2s listed on the census. The Okajima, the Crowley, and ... I assume the Church? That's out of only six graded copies.

There may only be 5 at this point. I believe Billy's copy used to be slabbed.

Great Sensation Hoarder!

Can you confirm the pedigree info on the cover (hard to read in your pic)

Is it 6-1-44 or is it a different day (like 11, 16 or something)?

And is there a camp code on the cover?

Im guessing its either:

3V, 3X or 3Y

thanks for helping with the info!

I think I can make out a "5" in the black area next to the "1".

The top of it is sticking out slightly, and theres a bit of a bump in the black lower down.

This would jive with the 3X code we were talking about.

PS I think its super cool having a female hero comic, from the lone female collector pedigree.