• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Okajima pedigree
25 25

1,544 posts in this topic

beautiful win on that Timely Okajima ... only 5% of the pedigree (known) are Timelys so they are few and far between...

I unfortunately woke up and got to my computer 1 minute too late to bid on the '44 Military Comics 34, which I'll post for posterity's sake in case the owner isnt a board member...

It's an interesting late '44 book.

No "Okajima"... no purchase date.... but it does have her code (of sorts) with a 4 xv (though the V kinda' looks more like a check mark so it might be 4X and a check mark). This comic was on the newstand September 6th of '44 (not sure how delayed the camps were in getting papers/comics) but other books from around the same time in the pedigree:

Sensation Comics 35 (Aprox. On Sale Date: September 7, 1944) [4x note]

So it would make sense if those two books had the same code, since she coded them by purchase group (it would seem)

The odd thing is that beyond the code, the two books were marked differently. Senation getting an "Okajima" -script, which the Military Comic did not. Neither got a date noted.

I was interested in this book because it marks (along with the Sensation) her transition to a very thin time in the pedigree. Late '44 to early 45. Some of the camps started closing and those in the camps were moved more often so her opportunity to buy (or maybe even to earn money) might have been tough here in the late part of 44 into '45. Remember just a month earlier she had noted on her copy of Mystery Comics 2 "Camp 3" maybe because she was changing camps.

4X is the latest camp code I've seen, and the next know books have a store date stamp on the front cover (and no -script, no code, no hand written dates). Once we get to August of '46 we will start to see the recognizable F or T distributor code on the covers (with a number, usually written in side one of the letters of the title of the book)

So I'm a little bummed about missing the book, but maybe it'll show up at some point in the future.. or another book will reveal itself (a 4Y? 4Z?)

Okajimas are still rare to market, so having two in this auction was a very nice surprise, and Straw selling his Police copy is super awesome (just wish I wasnt so poor!)

here's the scan of Military Comics #34, which I also believe was not on Alan Barr's list (one of the three original purchases of the pedigree).

sq39tZP.jpg

Oh and I'll post my winner from last month...

QT93Hzr.jpg

paid a premium for it, but I really like it. It's an early camp book (Feb '44), and a Captain Marvel Jr, who she seemed to really like (lots of his books in the collection) so it felt like a great one to have. I'd still like to add a "war" comic.

Oh and I'll post my winner from last month...

QT93Hzr.jpg

paid a premium for it, but I really like it. It's an early camp book (Feb '44), and a Captain Marvel Jr, who she seemed to really like (lots of his books in the collection) so it felt like a great one to have. I'd still like to add a "war" comic.

Apart from its being a ped, that is such a great cover. (thumbs u

beautiful win on that Timely Okajima ... only 5% of the pedigree (known) are Timelys so they are few and far between...

I unfortunately woke up and got to my computer 1 minute too late to bid on the '44 Military Comics 34, which I'll post for posterity's sake in case the owner isnt a board member...

It's an interesting late '44 book.

No "Okajima"... no purchase date.... but it does have her code (of sorts) with a 4 xv (though the V kinda' looks more like a check mark so it might be 4X and a check mark). This comic was on the newstand September 6th of '44 (not sure how delayed the camps were in getting papers/comics) but other books from around the same time in the pedigree:

Sensation Comics 35 (Aprox. On Sale Date: September 7, 1944) [4x note]

So it would make sense if those two books had the same code, since she coded them by purchase group (it would seem)

The odd thing is that beyond the code, the two books were marked differently. Senation getting an "Okajima" -script, which the Military Comic did not. Neither got a date noted.

I was interested in this book because it marks (along with the Sensation) her transition to a very thin time in the pedigree. Late '44 to early 45. Some of the camps started closing and those in the camps were moved more often so her opportunity to buy (or maybe even to earn money) might have been tough here in the late part of 44 into '45. Remember just a month earlier she had noted on her copy of Mystery Comics 2 "Camp 3" maybe because she was changing camps.

4X is the latest camp code I've seen, and the next know books have a store date stamp on the front cover (and no -script, no code, no hand written dates). Once we get to August of '46 we will start to see the recognizable F or T distributor code on the covers (with a number, usually written in side one of the letters of the title of the book)

So I'm a little bummed about missing the book, but maybe it'll show up at some point in the future.. or another book will reveal itself (a 4Y? 4Z?)

Okajimas are still rare to market, so having two in this auction was a very nice surprise, and Straw selling his Police copy is super awesome (just wish I wasnt so poor!)

here's the scan of Military Comics #34, which I also believe was not on Alan Barr's list (one of the three original purchases of the pedigree).

sq39tZP.jpg

Surprised how low that one went. I just didn't notice it or I would have bid on it.

i had no idea i'd win it, as i bid only about 25% over guide. remember what jamie's 7.0 boy comics did a few months ago? it went wild, and i sold it to him a few years ago for peanuts.

I'm thinking that the lack of a catalog for CLink auctions makes it more likely that ped books -- or other books with particular distinctions -- are going to be missed. When scrolling through 30 pages or whatever it was, I'm not spending time looking closely at most listings. With catalogs, I usually at least glance at the write up on every book.

I suspect both books would have sold for significantly more on either CC (leaving aside their technical problems) or Heritage. Or if their consignor(s) had subtly nudged the board about their availability.

agreed. the fact that you cant search for pedigrees hurts the site and the sales.

throw in the fact that the pedigree wasnt more than a passing mention versus the paragraph about Jamie and the fact that these books came from his collection (did anyone really care?)...

agreed. the fact that you cant search for pedigrees hurts the site and the sales.

throw in the fact that the pedigree wasnt more than a passing mention versus the paragraph about Jamie and the fact that these books came from his collection (did anyone really care?)...

Okajimas have built up quite a following here on the boards. I think there's less enthusiasm for the pedigree outside of our little community.

Okajimas have built up quite a following here on the boards. I think there's less enthusiasm for the pedigree outside of our little community.

i don't necessarily disagree, but when that 7.0 boy comics sold at mulitple multiples, i don't recall a boardie posting it as a win.

As the owner of only 2 Okajima books I'm not really an Okajima groupie...and one of the books is questionable...so I want to show a scan of it and see if anyone can tell me how I can prove this is a real Okajima. It was sold to me as an Okajima (abeit very cheap) from a comic shop in Fresno. It has no markings, however it is strange that the shop (not known for it's GA books) would have a book from this era at the same time as the Okajima purchases...any thoughts? I guess i should go look at the back cover too...

2r2rfc1.jpg

Edited by tricolorbrian

As the owner of only 2 Okajima books I'm not really an Okajima groupie...and one of the books is questionable...so I want to show a scan of it and see if anyone can tell me how I can prove this is a real Okajima. It was sold to me as an Okajima (abeit very cheap) from a comic shop in Fresno. It has no markings, however it is strange that the shop (not known for it's GA books) would have a book from this era at the same time as the Okajima purchases...

2r2rfc1.jpg

As a Schomburg Japanese war cover, this one would be particularly desirable ... assuming you're not just making up the Okajima part. :baiting:

No, not making it up. I bought it from Dave at Heroes Comics in Fresno and he said it was from "that Okajima group". I didn't know what he was talking about (I was kinda out of the loop), so I asked him what the group was. He explained the find briefly, but didn't mention the camp or anything, just that the books were owned by a Japanese lady. I can think of many books in better condition that i could pass off as Okajimas if I wanted to be a scumbag... :makepoint:

Edited by tricolorbrian

No, not making it up. I bought it from Dave at Heroes Comics in Fresno and he said it was from "that Okajima group". I didn't know what he was talking about (I was kinda out of the loop), so I asked him what the group was. He explained the find briefly, but didn't mention the camp or anything, just that the books were owned by a Japanese lady. I can think of many books in better condition that i could pass off as Okajimas if I wanted to be a scumbag... :makepoint:

Just kiddin' ya. A man of your sterling reputation among those what scurry and slink should not be questioned! :foryou:

Question now is how to go about establishing the pedigree? hm

All New Comics #11, newstand date of March 1945, publisher Harvey.

Some thoughts:

1. This book isnt on the list of known Okajima books. Though that list only has about 50% of the pedigree recorded.

2. Im not aware of any Harvey comics in the pedigree, but Im still going through the list. It's not popping up on the "top publishers" chart (Fiction House (36%), Fawcett, DC, Fox, Nedor, Timely/Atlas(5%)...

3. Action/Adventure (and War) were certainly in her wheelhouse of subject mater interests for books. So that's right. (As opposed to say funny animal books)

3. Condition-wise this would be an outlier. There are a few VG graded books in the Pedigree from the early era but we're talking like 2-3 out of 50 graded books (so like 5% of the pedigree's census from this era, '43-45)

4. During this time (early '45) the books in the pedigree typically (I'd say exclusively but I havent seen all of the pedigree) were marked with a store stamp with a date on the front cover (this one would have something like "Mar 6 1945")

I dont know for sure if it is or isnt, but the evidence doesnt support it. It doesnt exclude it either, but it doesnt line up with what I'd expect from an Okajima book of this timeframe. Any other markings on the book? Back cover?