• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Okajima pedigree
25 25

1,544 posts in this topic

Picked up my first Okajima the other day. Not a "camp" book but nice to have one from the pedigree anyway.

Nice. There are some intriguing pedigrees. Someone should write a book about them! :D

Picked up my first Okajima the other day. Not a "camp" book but nice to have one from the pedigree anyway.

Nice. There are some intriguing pedigrees. Someone should write a book about them! :D

Now, that's a novel idea! (thumbs u

I am just surprised no one has ever thought of doing one after all these years. :P:devil:

Well since it's flown past my wallet capacity, lets at least have a picture of the latest Okajima to hit the marketplace (seems like there's no more than 1-2 of them a year).

front

TvhtCy7.jpg

and the back

DgNl9HZ.jpg

With a couple days left it's up near $1300. This 6.5 copy is a bargain (of sorts) at the moment since a 7.5 sold for twice that ($2868) back in 2014. 10 on census. 5 higher in grade, and 3 in CGC 6.5.

There are multiple things that make this book so interesting...

1. It's one of the few pre-camp books. I think I've documented no more than 3-4 books from 1943 (and nothing before that). I call it pre-camp, but I dont know for sure when the owner was initially interred. I just think of it as "pre-camp" because it is before '44 and doesn't include the typical 1944 era camp markings (handwritten date of purchase, "Okajima", and an alphanumeric code).

2. Beyond just being a pre-camp book, it has to be one of the oldest Okajimas, if not the oldest. I'll have to check my records at home tonight, but with a "news stand" date of March 30, 1943 (based on MAW), and a cover date of July 1943, I cant think of an older copy. As I said, I'll check my records tonight.

3. Subject matter. All Okajimas are interesting and historical, but to me the "war" comics are particularly interesting since the owner probably had a conflicted relationship to the war. By conflicted I merely mean being American and assumedly supporting America in the war effort, but simultaneously having to deal with what America was doing to her and her family through the relocation to an internment camp after the Pearl Harbor attack. Furthermore, this isn't just any war comic, it's a major anti-Japanese subject cover. So it's always interesting to think about this Japanese-American girl buying a book with such an anti-Japanese sentiment right on the cover.

So much to love about this book for sure...

Oh man I was hoping this wouldn't be brought up until after the auction finished.

That's why I waited until it was past my budget... I hope it goes to a boardie obviously!

Remember when that Boy Comics 16 Okajima went for 6x market ? This is a BARGAIN! (yet still to expensive for me :sorry:

One Okajima went relatively cheap (1-2 year ago when I had no job and zero funds) but that was because CLINK didnt say a single word about the pedigree (outside of the one line mention in the book description). They did devote a huge paragraph with lots of caps to JAMIE GRAHAM CRACKERS AWESOME COLLECTION WOO-HOO!!! (can you hear my sarcasm?)

The post-camp books still can be had for a fair price (market or 1.5x). The early ones are a whole 'nother matter.

problem is nobody is selling so there are far more buyers out there than sellers so up go the prices...

Well since it's flown past my wallet capacity, lets at least have a picture of the latest Okajima to hit the marketplace (seems like there's no more than 1-2 of them a year).

front

TvhtCy7.jpg

and the back

DgNl9HZ.jpg

With a couple days left it's up near $1300. This 6.5 copy is a bargain (of sorts) at the moment since a 7.5 sold for twice that ($2868) back in 2014. 10 on census. 5 higher in grade, and 3 in CGC 6.5.

1. It's one of the few pre-camp books. I think I've documented no more than 3-4 books from 1943 (and nothing before that). I call it pre-camp, but I dont know for sure when the owner was initially interred. I just think of it as "pre-camp" because it is before '44 and doesn't include the typical 1944 era camp markings (handwritten date of purchase, "Okajima", and an alphanumeric code).

2. Beyond just being a pre-camp book, it has to be one of the oldest Okajimas, if not the oldest. I'll have to check my records at home tonight, but with a "news stand" date of March 30, 1943 (based on MAW), and a cover date of July 1943, I cant think of an older copy. As I said, I'll check my records tonight.

3. Subject matter. All Okajimas are interesting and historical, but to me the "war" comics are particularly interesting since the owner probably had a conflicted relationship to the war. By conflicted I merely mean being American and assumedly supporting America in the war effort, but simultaneously having to deal with what America was doing to her and her family through the relocation to an internment camp after the Pearl Harbor attack. Furthermore, this isn't just any war comic, it's a major anti-Japanese subject cover. So it's always interesting to think about this Japanese-American girl buying a book with such an anti-Japanese sentiment right on the cover.

Very interesting stuff. Thanks for posting this :applause:

front

TvhtCy7.jpg

and the back

DgNl9HZ.jpg

Didn't see this! Your eloquence has convinced me to bid aggressively. :sumo:

Great classic...

Any pedigree without obvious notation are always a little suspect for me but hey, does it come with an original cert...

I wish I had a cert with my Okajima but the name on the cover is good enough for me.

I'm sure its on the list. Just an amazing book.