• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Okajima pedigree
25 25

1,544 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

I was going to do my best to bring it home if it was under 3k, but I got blown out of the water.

scarcity is really affecting the market. The Target on eBay and the one on CLink are the first two camp books I've seen on the open market in a while, maybe one last year? 

38 minutes ago, telerites said:

I don't have time to look back in this thread but I thought miraclemet or someone found some records of possibly who she was.

Yep. And we even had Alan drop by and share some of his interactins with the family when he was doing his own research years ago when he bought part of the collection.

6 hours ago, miraclemet said:

So a 7.0 Okajima #41 goes for $6300

vs a 9.0 going for $3800 back in 2012....

An 8.0 of #40 went for $2900, so a regular 

A 7.5 of #39 went for $2500

So yeah it looks like a 7.0 on the market would go for maybe a little north of $2k, and the Okajima went for triple market (of a similarly graded book), which seems to fall in line with the 2-5x multiplier for books vs non ped versions (outliers exist of course)

Considering that target went for over $400 in the open market (where all the value is in the pedigree, considering a raw copy of that book can be had for cheap), that's a pretty strong established "floor"for a camp book. 

By extrapolating the data we arrive at a value of $23,760 for this...

cap40.jpg

Sorry for the noob question, but can anybody explain the difference between a regular Okajima book, and a "camp" book. I know it relates to the Japanese internment in WWII, but that's about the extent of my knowledge. Was the girl who compiled the collection interned for a period, and the books she acquired in the camp are "camp" books.

Are the pencil notations different on the camp covers? I appreciate any reply, even if it just links to more info I can read up on myself. :foryou:

2 minutes ago, Foley said:

Sorry for the noob question, but can anybody explain the difference between a regular Okajima book, and a "camp" book. I know it relates to the Japanese internment in WWII, but that's about the extent of my knowledge. Was the girl who compiled the collection interned for a period, and the books she acquired in the camp are "camp" books.

Are the pencil notations different on the camp covers? I appreciate any reply, even if it just links to more info I can read up on myself. :foryou:

@Foley

If you scroll up, to the book Comicdey is showing, there is some info on the back cover. 

Edited by skypinkblu

1 minute ago, skypinkblu said:

If you scroll up, to the book Comicdey is showing, there is some info on the back cover. 

Thanks Sharon :smile: 

I plan on going back and reading the thread from the start, but was curious as to the camp vs non camp references in the past couple pages.

1 minute ago, Foley said:

Thanks Sharon :smile: 

I plan on going back and reading the thread from the start, but was curious as to the camp vs non camp references in the past couple pages.

There is so much info in this thread, I'm no expert at all, but Miraclemet has written some terrific stuff.

Here is a list he was compiling, it's earlier in the thread. ..(not that I want MORE competition collecting these;)

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6888640

10 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

There is so much info in this thread, I'm no expert at all, but Miraclemet has written some terrific stuff.

Here is a list he was compiling, it's earlier in the thread. ..(not that I want MORE competition collecting these;)

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=6888640

Thanks again, some great reading in here for sure.

You don't have to worry too much, my pockets aren't very deep lol When it comes to Gold, I mostly lurk from afar and drool on my keyboard. Some day.

44 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

cap40.jpg

That's some fancy ciphering, Professor Evans.  Personally I have to take my shoes off and count my toes for anything greater than a 10-spot and since I don't have any book worth over a Jackson, I'm good.

1 hour ago, MrBedrock said:

cap40.jpg

Not a Schomburg cover, so you probably need to cut the price by 80%. hm