• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Okajima pedigree
25 25

1,544 posts in this topic

Picked this up last week. I have been looking for an entry level Okajima book for a while. These books and their owner's story is so interesting. This book has two date stamps of Mar 2 1945. The second stamp is on the inside of the back cover. Is an interior back cover date stamp common with Okajimas?

okajima300_1.jpgokajima1bc300.jpgokajima300_2.jpg

Picked this up last week. I have been looking for an entry level Okajima book for a while. These books and their owner's story is so interesting. This book has two date stamps of Mar 2 1945. The second stamp is on the inside of the back cover. Is an interior back cover date stamp common with Okajimas?

Great purchase, lovely copy, congrat's. :applause:

Nice. Don't know about the date stamps. The Okajimas I have are slabbed.

Congrats. March 2, 1945 is an interesting date vis-a-vis the pedigree because the battle for Iwo Jima was raging with thousands of American and Japanese casualties.

On 1/15/2017 at 9:59 PM, deadleg said:

Had this reholdered and got it back shortly before Christmas.

deAbwMEl.jpg

05oxw6ul.jpg

Thanks for sharing this! We didn't have any record of the cover notations on this issue! (We knew it existed in the pedigree, but had not seen images to get the date and code). 

Can you tell us what the alpha numeric code is on the book? It looks like 3D, but I wanted to check. 

I'll update the camp census to include the notes

All-American Comics #59 "Okajima""5-9-44" "3D"

9 hours ago, Comicdey said:

What was the grade?

thats almost 2x  the top graded 9.0 sale in 2012.

So a 7.0 Okajima #41 goes for $6300

vs a 9.0 going for $3800 back in 2012....

An 8.0 of #40 went for $2900, so a regular 

A 7.5 of #39 went for $2500

So yeah it looks like a 7.0 on the market would go for maybe a little north of $2k, and the Okajima went for triple market (of a similarly graded book), which seems to fall in line with the 2-5x multiplier for books vs non ped versions (outliers exist of course)

Considering that target went for over $400 in the open market (where all the value is in the pedigree, considering a raw copy of that book can be had for cheap), that's a pretty strong established "floor"for a camp book. 

4 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

So a 7.0 Okajima #41 goes for $6300

vs a 9.0 going for $3800 back in 2012....

An 8.0 of #40 went for $2900, so a regular 

A 7.5 of #39 went for $2500

So yeah it looks like a 7.0 on the market would go for maybe a little north of $2k, and the Okajima went for triple market (of a similarly graded book), which seems to fall in line with the 2-5x multiplier for books vs non ped versions (outliers exist of course)

Considering that target went for over $400 in the open market (where all the value is in the pedigree, considering a raw copy of that book can be had for cheap), that's a pretty strong established "floor"for a camp book. 

I was going to do my best to bring it home if it was under 3k, but I got blown out of the water.