• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Okajima pedigree
25 25

1,544 posts in this topic

The Red Dragon has been on my radar, great book.

I should have posted this here a while back, my lone Okajima:

dde3816e-9976-40aa-bc48-37e542b234b4_zpsk5i746ub.jpg

very nice! gotta love camp-coded timely okajimas!

torch15.jpg

Funny given the date, that Schomburg didn't put some swastikas on those hooded guys. hm

The Red Dragon has been on my radar, great book.

I should have posted this here a while back, my lone Okajima:

dde3816e-9976-40aa-bc48-37e542b234b4_zpsk5i746ub.jpg

cap40.jpg

e58b413b-fd6b-4390-9545-a1f4ed32ab8a_zpskeq5mh1c.jpg

Just noticed what seems to be a little heart she drew above the K in Crack. Did she do that often?

It's not a heart. It's the letter M in the 2M code.

Here you can see the M for the 3M coded book

7rb76de.jpg

Well since it's flown past my wallet capacity, lets at least have a picture of the latest Okajima to hit the marketplace (seems like there's no more than 1-2 of them a year).

front

TvhtCy7.jpg

and the back

DgNl9HZ.jpg

With a couple days left it's up near $1300. This 6.5 copy is a bargain (of sorts) at the moment since a 7.5 sold for twice that ($2868) back in 2014. 10 on census. 5 higher in grade, and 3 in CGC 6.5.

There are multiple things that make this book so interesting...

1. It's one of the few pre-camp books. I think I've documented no more than 3-4 books from 1943 (and nothing before that). I call it pre-camp, but I dont know for sure when the owner was initially interred. I just think of it as "pre-camp" because it is before '44 and doesn't include the typical 1944 era camp markings (handwritten date of purchase, "Okajima", and an alphanumeric code).

2. Beyond just being a pre-camp book, it has to be one of the oldest Okajimas, if not the oldest. I'll have to check my records at home tonight, but with a "news stand" date of March 30, 1943 (based on MAW), and a cover date of July 1943, I cant think of an older copy. As I said, I'll check my records tonight.

3. Subject matter. All Okajimas are interesting and historical, but to me the "war" comics are particularly interesting since the owner probably had a conflicted relationship to the war. By conflicted I merely mean being American and assumedly supporting America in the war effort, but simultaneously having to deal with what America was doing to her and her family through the relocation to an internment camp after the Pearl Harbor attack. Furthermore, this isn't just any war comic, it's a major anti-Japanese subject cover. So it's always interesting to think about this Japanese-American girl buying a book with such an anti-Japanese sentiment right on the cover.

So much to love about this book for sure...

Beautiful book, and good price.. Congrats to the buyer.

Man, that Red Dragon has been on my want list for decades it seems. And to get an Okajima copy. What a score. Congrats!

Interesting that it is an un-coded copy. Obviously earlier than this Capt Marvel #28. Steve Ritter told me this was the earliest he had seen. He photographed it for "that book".

comcaptmarvel28okajima_zpsjs8swktk.jpg

Well since it's flown past my wallet capacity, lets at least have a picture of the latest Okajima to hit the marketplace (seems like there's no more than 1-2 of them a year).

front

TvhtCy7.jpg

and the back

DgNl9HZ.jpg

With a couple days left it's up near $1300. This 6.5 copy is a bargain (of sorts) at the moment since a 7.5 sold for twice that ($2868) back in 2014. 10 on census. 5 higher in grade, and 3 in CGC 6.5.

There are multiple things that make this book so interesting...

1. It's one of the few pre-camp books. I think I've documented no more than 3-4 books from 1943 (and nothing before that). I call it pre-camp, but I dont know for sure when the owner was initially interred. I just think of it as "pre-camp" because it is before '44 and doesn't include the typical 1944 era camp markings (handwritten date of purchase, "Okajima", and an alphanumeric code).

2. Beyond just being a pre-camp book, it has to be one of the oldest Okajimas, if not the oldest. I'll have to check my records at home tonight, but with a "news stand" date of March 30, 1943 (based on MAW), and a cover date of July 1943, I cant think of an older copy. As I said, I'll check my records tonight.

3. Subject matter. All Okajimas are interesting and historical, but to me the "war" comics are particularly interesting since the owner probably had a conflicted relationship to the war. By conflicted I merely mean being American and assumedly supporting America in the war effort, but simultaneously having to deal with what America was doing to her and her family through the relocation to an internment camp after the Pearl Harbor attack. Furthermore, this isn't just any war comic, it's a major anti-Japanese subject cover. So it's always interesting to think about this Japanese-American girl buying a book with such an anti-Japanese sentiment right on the cover.

So much to love about this book for sure...

Beautiful book, and good price.. Congrats to the buyer.

That is a great book. A higher grade and "Okajima" written on the cover and I think it could easily have sold for twice what it did.

Man, that Red Dragon has been on my want list for decades it seems. And to get an Okajima copy. What a score. Congrats!

Interesting that it is an un-coded copy. Obviously earlier than this Capt Marvel #28. Steve Ritter told me this was the earliest he had seen. He photographed it for "that book".

Nice Book Robotman, the books from '43 are super interesting in their markings...

Startling Comics #24 "Okajima" (no code)

Captain Marvel Adventures #28 "Okajima"

Captain Midnight #13 "Okajmia" (no code)

Captain Marvel #31 ("1-26-43") "1H", "Okajima"

Catman #21 "Okajima"

Catman #22 "Okajima 1D"

Human Torch #14 (1-1-?) "1F" or "1J" or "1Y" (most likely)

I've only found 7 books from '43 (compared to 47 from '44), and the Red Dragon #7 makes the eighth book...

That is a great book. A higher grade and "Okajima" written on the cover and I think it could easily have sold for twice what it did.

Agreed. a 7.5 of the book sold for what $2600?

So a 6.5 would probably be a $1800+ book, so it basically went for ($3800) a little more than twice GPA...

remember when that Boy comic went for 6x?

Seems like cheaper books go for a higher multiplier (so basicly there's a "floor" for camp Okajimas)

I pad about 4x GPA for my Master Comics, but higher price books seem to only get a 2x multipler or so... (based on very very sparse data)

Agreed. a 7.5 of the book sold for what $2600?

So a 6.5 would probably be a $1800+ book, so it basically went for ($3800) a little more than twice GPA...

remember when that Boy comic went for 6x?

Seems like cheaper books go for a higher multiplier (so basicly there's a "floor" for camp Okajimas)

I pad about 4x GPA for my Master Comics, but higher price books seem to only get a 2x multipler or so... (based on very very sparse data)

An 8.0 RD 7 sold for 4033 a few months later in Nov, which I think would make a 6.5 copy worth quite a bit more than that.

Nice Book Robotman, the books from '43 are super interesting in their markings...

Startling Comics #24 "Okajima" (no code)

Captain Marvel Adventures #28 "Okajima"

Captain Midnight #13 "Okajmia" (no code)

Captain Marvel #31 ("1-26-43") "1H", "Okajima"

Catman #21 "Okajima"

Catman #22 "Okajima 1D"

Human Torch #14 (1-1-?) "1F" or "1J" or "1Y" (most likely)

I've only found 7 books from '43 (compared to 47 from '44), and the Red Dragon #7 makes the eighth book...

Here's my #31

comcaptmarvel31okajima_zpssggzr4lp.jpg

Edited by Robot Man