• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Okajima pedigree
25 25

1,544 posts in this topic

On 4/4/2021 at 10:19 PM, IronMan_Cave said:

Amazing story!!! Bravo all around to those who have contributed to this documentary thread, especially to @miraclemet  @path4play  @skypinkblu who have been the driving force of this thread

I actually went through most of the pages in this thread for several hours.

Are her family/descendants recognized that CGC actually recognized Okajima's collection? Did CGC ever contact her family? This is one collection I hope that can be brought together again someday for some sort of exhibition. I hope a rich collector buy up as many Okajimas out there as possible and gather and donate them all to a museum/library. 

It's Okajima's story that needs to be preserved more than just her books

One of her relatives (a cousin I believe?) commented and contacted the writer at the goodgirlcomics blog when they posted this article a while back. 

https://www.goodgirlcomics.com/okajima/

The article writer did mention to me that the relative was also aware of the inclusion of some of the Okajima comics in the 50 Object project a few years ago that documented (through objects) the Asian American experience of internment during WWII. Its a rotating online (and sometimes exhibited) exhibit, that can be seen here https://50objects.org/history/

There have been a few Okajima books included in various museum exhibits about Japanese Internment camp era over the years..

3 hours ago, miraclemet said:

The article writer did mention to me that the relative was also aware of the inclusion of some of the Okajima comics in the 50 Object project a few years ago that documented (through objects) the Asian American experience of internment during WWII. Its a rotating online (and sometimes exhibited) exhibit, that can be seen here https://50objects.org/history/

There have been a few Okajima books included in various museum exhibits about Japanese Internment camp era over the years..

Jpepx78 of this board was a driving force behind the attempt to get Okajima included in the 50objects project.  It has not happened yet because, I believe he told me, the project felt that there was too little information on the backstory on the collection.  The project has also been moving at a much much slower pace than originally projected, but the concept and resulting articles are incredible.  Worth checking out:  https://50objects.org/

3 hours ago, miraclemet said:

One of her relatives (a cousin I believe?) commented and contacted the writer at the goodgirlcomics blog when they posted this article a while back. 

Did the relative offer any information about the girl who purchased these books?

6 hours ago, miraclemet said:

Nice to know!!

Though I kinda wish that the relative provided a picture of her or at least more information about her....if she's in early 20s in 1944, she would be in the 70s when her collection was re-discovered, 80s in 2000s....

6 hours ago, miraclemet said:

I'm curious if this is actually true (the Okajima as part of 50objects is not yet true).  When and where?  Not any that I've been to.

4 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Did the relative offer any information about the girl who purchased these books?

The relative (Nephew) was interviewed by 50 Objects, so they are on the case.  Don't know when it will get published, but based on 50 Objects prior write ups I'm sure it will be the most through and detailed information yet.

I'm a noob to GA pedigree books but stumbled into this thread. I know the owner of the Wonder Woman 9 CGC 7.5 First Giganta. This appears to be a camp book with a code. Can anyone confirm if it is indeed a camp book? What would be the value of this book compared to other non-pedigree WW9s at this grade? What other info could you share? Thanks.

ww9.jpg

ww9bc.jpg

3 hours ago, solm4st3r said:

I'm a noob to GA pedigree books but stumbled into this thread. I know the owner of the Wonder Woman 9 CGC 7.5 First Giganta. This appears to be a camp book with a code. Can anyone confirm if it is indeed a camp book? What would be the value of this book compared to other non-pedigree WW9s at this grade? What other info could you share? Thanks.

ww9.jpg

Yes, an average around 10x guide for signed like this one imo.  Lower guide value books have gone to 20x, higher guide value tend to get smaller multiple.  WWII specific themes tend to garner higher multiples.

Fyi, it has the same date and code as Whiz Comics #55 5/16/44 3q

Thanks for posting!

Edited by path4play

5 hours ago, path4play said:

Yes, an average around 10x guide for signed like this one imo.  Lower guide value books have gone to 20x, higher guide value tend to get smaller multiple.  WWII specific themes tend to garner higher multiples.

Fyi, it has the same date and code as Whiz Comics #55 5/16/44 3q

Thanks for posting!

Thanks for the response. I saw a Youtube video in another thread and this specific book appears to make a cameo at 2:06. Pretty cool.

9 hours ago, solm4st3r said:

ww9.jpg

ww9bc.jpg

That book sold in a  Pedigree auction the day after I bought a plain non Okijama  one (same grade) on the boards. Price was about the same. A friend asked why I didn't buy that one instead and I answered,  I had not seen it, lol. Had I seen it, before the end of the auction, it would have gone for a lot more.

Please tell your friend, it's a wonderful book, I'm jealous and he got a super deal.

11 minutes ago, szav said:

Fast forward 2 years later and it's been flipped for $4800...not even a camp book.  I wonder if this can be seen as a sign that even the pedestrian Promise books will go for crazy money.  

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/rangers-comics-59-okajima-pedigree-fiction-house-1951-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122122-19478.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

image.png.559ed9b38ccb91a5dc72c9168323d3e7.png

Maybe it also shows that people aren't saving their pennies for the Promise books and there will be tons of deals! :insane:

16 hours ago, ComicartbyS said:

Hello all, 

I’m new to the boards, but have been enjoying this tread for a while now. I do know a few of you on here, and hope to meet a few more Okajima collectors! Here’s a picture of my Okajima collection. 

F8667565-9163-4306-8837-817FBFD8018A.jpeg

Welcome! :foryou:

On 5/31/2021 at 10:09 PM, ComicartbyS said:

Hello all, 

I’m new to the boards, but have been enjoying this tread for a while now. I do know a few of you on here, and hope to meet a few more Okajima collectors! Here’s a picture of my Okajima collection. 

Love the war bond covers especially!

On 5/31/2021 at 10:09 PM, ComicartbyS said:

Hello all, 

Welcome to the Boards.

Always happy to see another collector join us here.

BTW - Awesome books - Congrats.