• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Okajima pedigree
25 25

1,544 posts in this topic

On 12/24/2021 at 9:14 AM, path4play said:

I saw that and I know I have been out of the game for a while but I cannot imagine that is a 20K book.  I guess it got CPRed from an 8.0 to this. I wonder what offer would be considered.

On 12/24/2021 at 3:00 PM, telerites said:

I saw that and I know I have been out of the game for a while but I cannot imagine that is a 20K book.  I guess it got CPRed from an 8.0 to this. I wonder what offer would be considered.

Ah yea, your right.  Originally slabbed as an 8.0 to boot.  Good catch.  "Squeezed" out one full point.  I'd have to assume its a pie in the sky number tossed out there as some type of marketing strategy.  No doubt (at least I have to assume) seller would accept significantly less.

Edited by path4play

On 12/24/2021 at 12:03 PM, path4play said:
On 12/24/2021 at 12:00 PM, telerites said:

I guess it got CPRed from an 8.0 to this. I wonder what offer would be considered.

Ah yea, your right.  Originally slabbed as an 8.0 to boot.  Good catch.  "Squeezed" out one full point.  I'd have to assume its a pie in the sky number tossed out there as some type of marketing strategy.  No doubt (at least I have to assume) seller would accept significantly less.

Well, let's hope so as I am going to take a big risk here and step right out of my comfort zone by making him a generous offer of $343 or full OPG condition guide value for this book.  lol  :takeit:

On 3/17/2022 at 8:54 AM, skypinkblu said:

I don't know, the Jungle 157 ending on ComicConnect tonight seems pretty low in comparison to the recent books posted, maybe things are changing?

I don't get the extra demand for any of the books post-WWII.  The camp era books have the unfortunate historical appeal.  The later books are just nice copies.  

On 3/17/2022 at 11:04 AM, buttock said:

I don't get the extra demand for any of the books post-WWII.  The camp era books have the unfortunate historical appeal.  The later books are just nice copies.  

I have a bunch of non camp books..when I started buying them, I didn't even know the difference, just liked the story. I'm sure I'm not the only one. I even have some "Camp" era books with no writing on the outside, but CGC certified them as "Okajima" books. To me, it's about her, not the years...but I agree that the "Camp" ones are different...in an almost creepy kind of way...I kind of like the fact that she was free later.

On 5/7/2022 at 11:39 AM, alexgross.com said:

a really cool okajima catman 24 is coming in the next CL auction~ i love this cover!

The Cat-Man Comics #21 Okajima Pedigree (Continental, 1943) is coming up for sale on HA.com

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/cat-man-comics-21-okajima-pedigree-continental-1943-cgc-vg-fn-50-off-white-pages/p/7274-47001.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515#

On 5/7/2022 at 1:40 PM, path4play said:

Guess I better get someone lined up for a kidney…

On 5/7/2022 at 1:40 PM, path4play said:

Nice that same book sold 9/21 for $5,760. It will be interesting to see how the market shifted since then 

Screenshot_20220514-162808~2.png

On 6/3/2022 at 3:06 PM, jpepx78 said:

The Okajima article has been published!

https://50objects.org/

It took much longer than expected and there are still unanswered questions but we have a little more information about Bette Okajima.

Thank you to all of you who shared information and those who gave permission to share their scans of their Okajima books.

Jeff

Jpep,

Just read it.  An interesting read!  I'm glad your contributions were recognized.

My main takeaway is that It is sad that no asked Bette about the books before she sustained her memory loss.  We'll all have to speculate on what the true story was.  

One thing lept out at me: "On Oct. 17, 1943, she left George and her mother behind to reunite with Frances, who had gotten married in camp to Frank Kataoka and been released to Chicago."

Are there any books with so-called camp markings which post-date October 1943?  I've always thought that the collection likely included books bought by or for her brother.  If there are "camp markings" after that date, this may prove it.

Edited by sfcityduck