• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

Anybody else think it's Doomsday who they're gonna be fighting in this film? The trailer said a lot to me....heat vision destroying the building, paths of destruction, etc, etc

I think it will be at the end of the film, which will then lead into the heroes having to come together as the Justice League. It just seems to fit the motivation why these powerful being would pull together despite any differences in philosophy.

Watching the trailer, this looks like it'll be an unwatchable mess except if they can get a decent DKR style fight in.

Again, it looks dark and lots of mass, generic destruction happening. The worst is that Batman had to explain his feelings about Superman...which was quite unnecessary in DKR. I know it's a different medium, so I guess they gotta dumb it down for the civilians. Still...

Watching the trailer, this looks like it'll be an unwatchable mess except if they can get a decent DKR style fight in.

Again, it looks dark and lots of mass, generic destruction happening. The worst is that Batman had to explain his feelings about Superman...which was quite unnecessary in DKR. I know it's a different medium, so I guess they gotta dumb it down for the civilians. Still...

When was the last time you read DKR? In the traditional DCU canon, Superman is the first superhero, already established before Batman comes on the scene, and Superman was clearly a government stooge of the Reagan administration in DKR. Here, Batman's been running around for 20 years, and Superman is a relative unknown who was just at the epicenter of a near extinction-level event. What are his motives? Can he be left unchecked? The source of their conflict may be clear to me and most comic readers, but some exposition couldn't hurt.

They would be so much better keeping this guy from reporters, as he can't help but make statements like this.

Jesse Eisenberg Compares Comic-Con To 'Genocide' - Umm, What?

At a red carpet event for his upcoming film End of the Tour in which he plays a journalist, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice actor Jesse Eisenberg compared his experience at Comic-Con International: San Diego this past weekend to "genocide."

"It is like being screamed at by thousands of people," Eisenberg told the AP (via Yahoo). "I don't know what the experience is throughout history, probably some kind of genocide. I can't think of anything that's equivalent.”

When was the last time you read DKR? In the traditional DCU canon, Superman is the first superhero, already established before Batman comes on the scene, and Superman was clearly a government stooge of the Reagan administration in DKR. Here, Batman's been running around for 20 years, and Superman is a relative unknown who was just at the epicenter of a near extinction-level event. What are his motives? Can he be left unchecked? The source of their conflict may be clear to me and most comic readers, but some exposition couldn't hurt.

This is why I wonder whether or not they were leaving the Nolan movies up as being setup for this new universe. Wayne was the only superhero in Nolan's universe, and he retired at the end. That's not from any comic version I can recall, yet this film appears to pick up from exactly that point with Wayne getting back into it to deal with what he sees as a new threat. Neither version fits directly with the comics, yet they fit together like two puzzle pieces...tough to see that as unintentional.

Obviously what doesn't fit is Nolan's style, his focus on dialogue, character psychology, and subtly realistic situations. Snyder is all about highly stylized visuals and fanfare--as most superhero directors tend to be because they think that's what the fans want--and that seems to clash with the Nolan films.

Who the hell are those goofy Supertroopers?

Every single one of those scenes makes me uneasy. They give a sense, along with that Senator, that the're going to associate Superman with the worst humanity has to offer.

One glance at their helmets and uniform patches and it's obvious they're not being subtle about it. And you have to assume since Clark was raised on Earth he's well aware of world history. So where they're going with it, who the hell knows.

And it might just be me. I have zero trust in how they'll handle Superman. I'm convinced Warner Bros and Hollywood hates Superman, his origin and everything he's symbolized. He's their flagship character but they seem absolutely clueless as to why that is.

bvsuptroop.jpg

Who the hell are those goofy Supertroopers?

Every single one of those scenes makes me uneasy. They give a sense, along with that Senator, that the're going to associate Superman with the worst humanity has to offer.

One glance at their helmets and uniform patches and it's obvious they're not being subtle about it. And you have to assume since Clark was raised on Earth he's well aware of world history. So where they're going with it, who the hell knows.

And it might just be me. I have zero trust in how they'll handle Superman. I'm convinced Warner Bros and Hollywood hates Superman, his origin and everything he's symbolized. He's their flagship character but they seem absolutely clueless as to why that is.

bvsuptroop.jpg

I've been thinking along the same lines. I watch the trailer and I'm concerned about Supes' character. What I'm hoping is the trailer's been cut in such a way as to promote this sense that Superman has gone bad to emphasise "Batman vs Superman". Maybe what we'll see in the movie will be a different perspective. I wouldn't mind betting Luthor is behind the Supertroopers (nice tag (thumbs u ) and Supes will have been set up.

Still looks like a great movie though!

I agree (speculating) that Luthor is behind the Supertroopers. And (more speculating) Luthor's using that Senator to do it.

That's how my mind flashed when the Trailer opened. (really speculating now...)

There's Holly Hunter (Southern lady, Col Sanders ice cream suit, probably an ultra-conservative evagelical law & order Senator bought and paid for by evil corporate profiteering special interests, ie; Luthor) holding a hearing to get to the 'truth'.

Then we see Superman descending for the Senate hearing. Lots of those disgusting 'Westboro'-style placards in the crowd to represent her constituency.

And we get the nazi-esque supertroopers.

All these little subliminal connections are being served up as the Trailer unfolds. All in relation to Superman. The worst humanity has to offer and Superman, essentially being one and the same.

A twist on the old superhero versus superhero battle.

SPOILERS: Here's Why BATMAN And SUPERMAN End Up Fighting In DAWN OF JUSTICE

Badass Digest have spoilers which may shed some light on how the fight between these two iconic DC Comics superheroes ends up playing out on the big screen.

Batman v Superman is inspired - not based on - The Dark Knight Returns, but this version of the Man of Steel won't be some sort of government lackey. In fact, as was evident at the conclusion of his 2013 movie, Superman still isn't trusted by politicians and the military. Instead, it will be Lex Luthor who sends the hero to Gotham City to take down The Dark Knight! Why would he do that?

Well, the site [isn]'t saying, but do reveal that "it is Superman who goes to Gotham and starts the confrontation… at the behest of Lex Luthor. And unlike The Dark Knight Returns, Superman comes out swinging, pulverizing the Batmobile with one punch. Why would Superman do Lex Luthor’s bidding? What is Lex hoping to accomplish? That would be spoiling. But know that when the fight is over, Batman will be able to point to Superman and say, "He started it!"

:bump:

A few months back it was brought up how Luthor is pulling the strings behind the scenes.

I agree (speculating) that Luthor is behind the Supertroopers. And (more speculating) Luthor's using that Senator to do it.

That's how my mind flashed when the Trailer opened. (really speculating now...)

There's Holly Hunter (Southern lady, Col Sanders ice cream suit, probably an ultra-conservative evagelical law & order Senator bought and paid for by evil corporate profiteering special interests, ie; Luthor) holding a hearing to get to the 'truth'.

Then we see Superman descending for the Senate hearing. Lots of those disgusting 'Westboro'-style placards in the crowd to represent her constituency.

And we get the nazi-esque supertroopers.

All these little subliminal connections are being served up as the Trailer unfolds. All in relation to Superman. The worst humanity has to offer and Superman, essentially being one and the same.

The same thing occurred in the animated "Dark Knight Returns" movie. Where Superman was made out to be critical of Batman's aggressive war on street crime, but completely oblivious to how the Prez (Regan?) was having Sups' do much worse and with less reason.

It looks like they are somehow driving Superman to be a cog in the machine in this movie. Unlike the cartoon where basically Regan just told Superman to wage war and he did it without question or any hint of self reflection.

I hope the movie version sort of builds it up into a way that it seems understandable that Sups is sort of dragged unwillingly into his circumstances through manipulation that we just can't see yet. But one that makes you go "Oh. That's why he's willing to be a puppet."

The animated movie makes you scratch your head and go "Why is the President treating Sups like he's an illegal farm hand being threatened with deportation if he doesn't pick the pineapples faster, and why is Sups putting up with it?"

Anyhow, after the SDCC trailer, I'm very motivated to see this.

-T

The animated movie makes you scratch your head and go "Why is the President treating Sups like he's an illegal farm hand being threatened with deportation if he doesn't pick the pineapples faster, and why is Sups putting up with it?"

I loved how the DCAU reproduced the excitement of The Dark Knight Returns in an animated setting.

Kal-El/Clark Kent/Superman: Superman is now an agent of the U.S. government and his secret identity as the former Daily Planet reporter Clark Kent is publicly known. In his inner thoughts he despises being a government tool, but he believes it is the only way he can save lives in this day and age, therefore serving as the story's final antagonist. In the final climax, Superman battles Batman in a final attempt to rid the government of his opposition, but is weakened by a Kryptonite arrow fired by Queen, allowing an armored Batman to stand up to him.

Superman feels his role serving the government keeps the peace between super-powered citizens and regulars. Otherwise, the latter could feel so threatened they take drastic actions to protect themselves.

They would be so much better keeping this guy from reporters, as he can't help but make statements like this.

Jesse Eisenberg Compares Comic-Con To 'Genocide' - Umm, What?

At a red carpet event for his upcoming film End of the Tour in which he plays a journalist, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice actor Jesse Eisenberg compared his experience at Comic-Con International: San Diego this past weekend to "genocide."

"It is like being screamed at by thousands of people," Eisenberg told the AP (via Yahoo). "I don't know what the experience is throughout history, probably some kind of genocide. I can't think of anything that's equivalent.”

Just wait until the inevitable outcry over his poor performance