• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

I was hoping that the Ultimate Edition 3D would have the Ultimate Edition with 30 additional minutes in 3D, but no. Seems the Theatrical Version is in 3D and the Ultimate Edition is not in 3D. Seems the 4K set includes the Ultimate Edition in 4K, but the Theatrical Version on regular blu-ray, so it's not advantageous to get the 4K blu-ray if you want to watch the Ultimate Edition but haven't gotten a 4K UHD player. I'm waiting for the PS4K Neo or the Panasonic UB900 players to come out around September, so I guess I'll have to wait if I want to watch the Ultimate Edition in true uncompressed HD and not on digital copy compression HD.

Yes, but with the Panasonic UB900 4K UHD blu-ray player and the Epson 5040UBe 4K HDR projector, it'll be a really amazing and impressive picture quality, so it won't be as bad as it really was... And you can admire the HD picture quality for an extra 1/2 hour.

Yeah but the movie will still be terrible, just 4k HD terrible.

Yes, but with the Panasonic UB900 4K UHD blu-ray player and the Epson 5040UBe 4K HDR projector, it'll be a really amazing and impressive picture quality, so it won't be as bad as it really was... And you can admire the HD picture quality for an extra 1/2 hour.

I think how you react to the Ultimate Edition depends on if you can appreciate the Elseworld take on these characters or not. Professional reviewers which were very displeased with the Theatrical Cut are seeing the film in a different light with the added 30 minutes that wasn't there for them before. Though that doesn't mean they now state it is perfect.

MOVIEPILOT: 'Batman V Superman: Ultimate Edition' — Does It Improve The Film?

But according to Forbes' Scott Mendelson, that's not the case in the Ultimate Edition. The reviewer, who said the theatrical release would "hurt your brain and break your heart," felt the new version was much more balanced:

"It does feel more like a Superman/Batman two-hander, as opposed to a Batman movie with Superman supporting characters filling out the cast. I would go so far as to say that I 'liked' this version of 'Batman V Superman.'"

Collider's Steve "Frosty" Weintraub wasn't a huge fan of the theatrical release, but thinks fans should definitely give the extended cut a chance:

"I can honestly say the three hour cut of 'Batman V Superman' is such an improvement that I strongly suggest giving the film another chance."

Screenrant's Ben Kendrick also saw major improvements:

"There are still moments of clumsy storytelling, a significant amount of shared universe setup, and an overall dour tone but the 'Ultimate Edition' injects a considerable amount of quality character drama and plot development back into the experience – putting more distance between the clunky parts while also providing a much more comprehensible set of side arcs that elevate every character, every narrative beat, and every thematic through-line in the process."

If someone has a strong view on what their character portrayals should be, or that taking three hours to tell a story isn't the best approach, you'll probably still not enjoy this film.

Well, after months of putting it off I finally went to see it at our local "dollar" theater before it was gone.

Eh, I agree with just about everybody. It was OK at best. Eisnenberg was horrible as Luthor. Seems like every other scene was in slow-mo. Story felt hacked up. It is good to hear the extended version improves it but I doubt I will make the effort to see it for a while.

I thought all three heroes were pretty well done and Wonder Woman was awesome.

Interesting theory who that character really was at the beginning of the movie that though he introduced himself as Jimmy Olsen, the CIA chatter after he is shot is, "Talon is down!"

Was Jimmy Olsen Really A Court Of Owls Assassin In 'Batman Vs Superman' Ultimate Edition?

At first glance this is just a cool moniker for a cool secret agent. But, as with pretty much everything in DC, this name matches up with a character from the comics. And that character is far from heroic.

In the comics, Talon is a brutal assassin for the Court of Owls, raised from birth to be a killer. He's a bit nuts, obsessed with birds and absolutely vicious. The Court of Owls is one of Batman's most dangerous nemeses — this secret society has existed since Gotham was founded. Infiltrating even the highest levels of government, the Court of Owls manipulate everything from behind the scenes. In some storylines, they've even been connected to the death of Bruce Wayne's parents, as the Court of Owls sends out assassins like Talon to do their dirty work.

The Court of Owls could have infiltrated the CIA, placing Talon a.k.a. Jimmy Olsen among their ranks. What business they had in Nairomi is difficult to guess at, but the return of Jimmy in a later DCEU film could bring this all together.

now i would have to go back and watch... but didn't he say he was jimmy olsen... and lois said something to the effect... uhhh yea i've got one of those that takes picture for me all the time... or something along those lines?

Um wut?!?!?!

Why can't Jimmy Olsen just be a dorky photographer? Now he's a possible assassin?!?!?!

(insert facepalm emoticon here)

***Yes, I also had issues with Jimmy Olsen being a male stud in the Supergirl show

This is probably a clear example where Zack Snyder was attempting to rapidly develop the DCEU leading to confusion versus intrigue.

If this wasn't the real Jimmy Olsen, where was the real one?

- If this was the first assignment for the real Jimmy Olsen, and that is why Lois Lane didn't know any better, when she returned back to the Daily Planet wouldn't the real one be waiting?

or

- Was the real one hired for his first assignment, and the Court of Owls kidnapped him so Talon could replace him and later on they will release him (or meant to kill him), and the real Jimmy Olsen escapes or is released?

:ohnoez:

If this wasn't the real Jimmy Olsen, where was the real one?

Oh! Oh! I know the answer to this one!

Wherever Supergirl tells him to be?

wpid-Screen-Shot-2015-10-27-at-0954192.png

:grin:

That wasn't the answer I was thinking of... :whistle:

Knightmare Batman Finally Gets His Own BATMAN v SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE Hot Toys Figure

Hot Toys has today revealed a Toy Fair exclusive which features the Dark Knight sporting that unique look. Equipped with desert gear and guns, the dream saw Batman battle Superman’s minions and monsters in an apocalyptic world.

The movie-accurate collectable figure is specially crafted based on the image of Ben Affleck as Knightmare Batman in Batman v Superman and features a masked head sculpt with 3 interchangeable lower faces, specially developed body which can naturally portray Batman’s muscular body, sophisticated tailored Batsuit, Knightmare Batman’s desert gear, detailed weapons, and a specially designed Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice themed figure stand. It's an extremely detailed piece.

CIBQGj1.jpg

Knightmare Batman Finally Gets His Own BATMAN v SUPERMAN: DAWN OF JUSTICE Hot Toys Figure

Hot Toys has today revealed a Toy Fair exclusive which features the Dark Knight sporting that unique look. Equipped with desert gear and guns, the dream saw Batman battle Supermans minions and monsters in an apocalyptic world.

The movie-accurate collectable figure is specially crafted based on the image of Ben Affleck as Knightmare Batman in Batman v Superman and features a masked head sculpt with 3 interchangeable lower faces, specially developed body which can naturally portray Batmans muscular body, sophisticated tailored Batsuit, Knightmare Batmans desert gear, detailed weapons, and a specially designed Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice themed figure stand. It's an extremely detailed piece.

CIBQGj1.jpg

Or as I like to call it, Fantasy Dream Batman.

Hot Toys has today revealed a Toy Fair exclusive which features the Dark Knight sporting that unique look. Equipped with desert gear and guns, the dream saw Batman battle Supermans minions and monsters in an apocalyptic world.

The movie-accurate collectable figure is specially crafted based on the image of Ben Affleck as Knightmare Batman in Batman v Superman and features a masked head sculpt with 3 interchangeable lower faces, specially developed body which can naturally portray Batmans muscular body, sophisticated tailored Batsuit, Knightmare Batmans desert gear, detailed weapons, and a specially designed Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice themed figure stand. It's an extremely detailed piece.

CIBQGj1.jpg

Y'know... that Knightmare dream sequence isn't what I'd call a fantasy dream ;)

Hot Toys has today revealed a Toy Fair exclusive which features the Dark Knight sporting that unique look. Equipped with desert gear and guns, the dream saw Batman battle Superman’s minions and monsters in an apocalyptic world.

The movie-accurate collectable figure is specially crafted based on the image of Ben Affleck as Knightmare Batman in Batman v Superman and features a masked head sculpt with 3 interchangeable lower faces, specially developed body which can naturally portray Batman’s muscular body, sophisticated tailored Batsuit, Knightmare Batman’s desert gear, detailed weapons, and a specially designed Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice themed figure stand. It's an extremely detailed piece.

CIBQGj1.jpg

:o

I want one!

CIBQGj1.jpg

I guess it depends on what you are into. In his case, we know a favorite movie scene high on his list.

200_s.gif

(:

CIBQGj1.jpg

I guess it depends on what you are into. In his case, we know a favorite movie scene high on his list.

200_s.gif

(:

I think I would have very much preferred watching a whole movie about Batman leading a desert guerrilla rebellion against an authoritarian Superman regime. Probably would need a few other metas or Justice League characters as back up to make it marginally more fair, but I'd be into it for sure. Let the Mad Max dude direct it, and we've got a winner!