• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

Except he also looked like a hippie in the convenience store when it was getting robbed. Same as in the dream sequence. If the the dream sequence shows an older Barry (hippie) and the convenience store shows a younger Barry (hippie), then what period does the Justice League movie show?

I'm not of the camp Ezra Miller was a hippie in the BvS dream sequence. Especially since in going back to the scene and reviewing images of that dream sequence, it is clear Ezra Miller was wearing extensive armor most probably to help make it through the time boom in order to reach Bruce Wayne and deliver his message.

And although at first it looks like a mustache on Miller, as you watch the video you notice it comes and goes. It is waves from the time boom as he is being forcefully pushed back, which has to be causing him pain as he fights to stay in Bruce's time.

Batman v Superman Flash Cameo & Knightmare Scene Are Not a Dream?

But Jay Oliva, who served as a concept artist on Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and has directed several DC animated movies like Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox, has now shed some light on this sequence during an appearance on the Hall of Justice Podcast. Here's what he had to say below, revealing that the Knightmare scenes weren't just a "dream sequence," but rather a Time Boom.

"You want to know the answer? Okay... you've watched Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox, my movie, right? In the DC Universe in the comics, there's this thing where- it's a little different than the Back to The Future thing where you can go back in time and change your threads and stuff, but in DC, when you go back in time you create this kind of 'Time Boom' kind of thing where lots of things change. Okay, so let me just tell you this. Again... I don't know if this is Zack (Snyder)'s thinking, but this is mine: what if that isn't a dream sequence? What if what you saw was a Time Boom, a latent memory from the future when The Flash comes back? If you look at the cut, he doesn't go to sleep! He's waiting for the [Lexcorp file decryption] and suddenly this [Knightmare sequence] comes in, and he's jogged out of it seeing his own death. And what does he see? He sees Flash. And if you're a DC fan, you know what's happening. You know that Flash going back in time, that memory is now coming back to him... mind you, it's jumbled."

And what's more interesting - and being lost on trying to force a hippy image - is who Barry Allen was referring to.

Part of this scene shows Barry Allen telling Bruce that he was "right about him." While this character's identity has not been revealed, Jay Oliva teased that it's not Superman, contrary to what some fans may think.

"The thing is that, it's meant to be so kind of subtle, most audiences just think of it as a dream. And it's meant to be that way. It's just like in the comics when there might be some shadowy figure standing in the background, you don't know who that character is until five issues down the line. The main purpose of that in the film - because people will probably say 'why even have it, if it's not going to be followed through?' - I'm going to say: 'Well, it's there because it actually adds to... Bruce Wayne's kind of mania. Because he sees this memory. He doesn't quite know exactly what he saw, all it does is tell him is that Superman is bad. And remember, when Flash goes back in time, he tells him 'you were right about him.' He doesn't say exactly who 'him' is. The average audience member, and even Bruce Wayne, is going to think that he's right about Superman, when in fact he's referring to someone else."

Don't forget Luthor. He sucked bull wiener.

Is there an extended "Martha" scene in the new version. That had to be the single worst piece of acting/-script writing I have seen in recent memory.

I heard on the grapevine Mod 6 is planning to introduce a Martha Scene complaint tax...

They really "Nuked the Fridge" with that one. meh

That'll be $2 please... :taptaptap:

The Martha scene is arguably the most plausible scene in the whole movie, yet has received the most criticism. The big armoured Bat-guy stops fighting the irradiated super-alien, the fantasy halts and they bond over something as everyday as a shared name. It just goes to show the general audience doesn't want realism, just fantasy. In actual fact, that scene is a masterpiece. I was always curious about both their mothers being called "Martha" and now I realise why. That scene has been 75 years in the making... ;)

No, it's a walk-out-of-the-theater moment and one of the dumbest things ever filmed.

That's your opinion. I provided a different perspective on the scene. Do I think it was really a masterpiece 75 years in the making? No... See the ;) But I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as people keep saying it is. It's just a scene in a movie providing a means to an end. Something had to stop Bats killing Supes. What was the alternative? Lois taking the bullet? Etc...

Suicide Squad is out this week... Save your energy for that ;)

Except he also looked like a hippie in the convenience store when it was getting robbed. Same as in the dream sequence. If the the dream sequence shows an older Barry (hippie) and the convenience store shows a younger Barry (hippie), then what period does the Justice League movie show?

I'm not of the camp Ezra Miller was a hippie in the BvS dream sequence. Especially since in going back to the scene and reviewing images of that dream sequence, it is clear Ezra Miller was wearing extensive armor most probably to help make it through the time boom in order to reach Bruce Wayne and deliver his message.

And although at first it looks like a mustache on Miller, as you watch the video you notice it comes and goes. It is waves from the time boom as he is being forcefully pushed back, which has to be causing him pain as he fights to stay in Bruce's time.

Batman v Superman Flash Cameo & Knightmare Scene Are Not a Dream?

But Jay Oliva, who served as a concept artist on Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and has directed several DC animated movies like Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox, has now shed some light on this sequence during an appearance on the Hall of Justice Podcast. Here's what he had to say below, revealing that the Knightmare scenes weren't just a "dream sequence," but rather a Time Boom.

"You want to know the answer? Okay... you've watched Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox, my movie, right? In the DC Universe in the comics, there's this thing where- it's a little different than the Back to The Future thing where you can go back in time and change your threads and stuff, but in DC, when you go back in time you create this kind of 'Time Boom' kind of thing where lots of things change. Okay, so let me just tell you this. Again... I don't know if this is Zack (Snyder)'s thinking, but this is mine: what if that isn't a dream sequence? What if what you saw was a Time Boom, a latent memory from the future when The Flash comes back? If you look at the cut, he doesn't go to sleep! He's waiting for the [Lexcorp file decryption] and suddenly this [Knightmare sequence] comes in, and he's jogged out of it seeing his own death. And what does he see? He sees Flash. And if you're a DC fan, you know what's happening. You know that Flash going back in time, that memory is now coming back to him... mind you, it's jumbled."

And what's more interesting - and being lost on trying to force a hippy image - is who Barry Allen was referring to.

Part of this scene shows Barry Allen telling Bruce that he was "right about him." While this character's identity has not been revealed, Jay Oliva teased that it's not Superman, contrary to what some fans may think.

"The thing is that, it's meant to be so kind of subtle, most audiences just think of it as a dream. And it's meant to be that way. It's just like in the comics when there might be some shadowy figure standing in the background, you don't know who that character is until five issues down the line. The main purpose of that in the film - because people will probably say 'why even have it, if it's not going to be followed through?' - I'm going to say: 'Well, it's there because it actually adds to... Bruce Wayne's kind of mania. Because he sees this memory. He doesn't quite know exactly what he saw, all it does is tell him is that Superman is bad. And remember, when Flash goes back in time, he tells him 'you were right about him.' He doesn't say exactly who 'him' is. The average audience member, and even Bruce Wayne, is going to think that he's right about Superman, when in fact he's referring to someone else."

Ok that's kinda neat, but who would Flash be referring to then? Luthor?

That was my thought.

I think that is where this is going.

Isn't there an Elseworld story where Luthor becomes President of the United States? Since they are already using Injustice Gods as an alternate future, they could be blending this one in as well.

But I do like that there is a mystery that may float for a few movies before we figure it out.

I just finished the Ultimate Edition. It took us 3 nights because of the length and life.

I enjoyed it. I went into it with very few preconceived notions. It wasn't outstanding but I saw the direction Snyder was trying to go. I'm just not sure that I like Snyder's direction, at all.

I didn't mind Affleck as Batman. He seemed a little pointless at the end. The character was just way outclassed once WW and Superman took over.

Justice League might have hope without Snyder. I liked the trailer and I won't let Suicide Squad taint it, if it is as bad as they are saying.

I just finished the Ultimate Edition. It took us 3 nights because of the length and life.

I enjoyed it. I went into it with very few preconceived notions. It wasn't outstanding but I saw the direction Snyder was trying to go. I'm just not sure that I like Snyder's direction, at all.

I didn't mind Affleck as Batman. He seemed a little pointless at the end. The character was just way outclassed once WW and Superman took over.

Justice League might have hope without Snyder. I liked the trailer and I won't let Suicide Squad taint it, if it is as bad as they are saying.

I think they should be changing up writers and directors for Justice League. Snyder has just not been able to do a good job of portraying these characters and stories as did both Nolan and Burton. A fresh start may be positive. If Suicide Squad tanks, then we may have another problem within DC altogether, just not a one franchise problem. Instead of trying to follow Marvel, they should be setting their own path. It's interesting that DC's animated division is doing a lot better financially and reception wise than their live action film division.

I think they should be changing up writers and directors for Justice League. Snyder has just not been able to do a good job of portraying these characters and stories as did both Nolan and Burton. A fresh start may be positive. If Suicide Squad tanks, then we may have another problem within DC altogether, just not a one franchise problem. Instead of trying to follow Marvel, they should be setting their own path. It's interesting that DC's animated division is doing a lot better financially and reception wise than their live action film division.

Let's not forget their TV shows. They are pretty good as well.

Let's not forget their TV shows. They are pretty good as well.

I like Flash & Super Girl, not a fan of Gotham, legends of Tomorrow and Arrow. Used to like Arrow, but it has changed and lost its appeal. I find Legends similar to Agents of Shield and both suffer from bad writing and bad plots.

It's interesting that DC's animated division is doing a lot better financially and reception wise than their live action film division.

It's expected. Bruce Timm should have been put in charge of the film division as he understands the characters better than anyone at WB/DC.