• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Statue Collections
23 23

5,037 posts in this topic

Quick question. Been looking at statues online. Most of the time, the size in a fraction. It's kinda frustrating to gauge the actual height of the piece. Is there a conversion chart for this or does it depend on the characters original size?

The exact specs on a piece are usually out there somewhere.

Scale can give you a general idea. 1/4 means that the piece is a quarter of the size that character would be in real life. My 1/4 Sideshow Colossus for example is 24" standing on a flat base; the character is over 7 feet tall, but his posture is not 100% upright, so 7 feet is about right. 1/4 of 7 feet = 22 inches, plus a couple of inches for the base, which = 24 inches. But obviously, a lot depends on the size of the base, the posture the character is in, etc...

Just out of curiosity, are there any 'investor' interest with statues? If so, is there a guide somewhere for this sub-market of the comic collecting community?

Not really. Great pieces sell-out, become less and less available, and eventually start commanding a premium.

That said, I think "investing" in these things would be a logistical nightmare. To make a significant amount of money at it, you'd need a lot of space for storage (which obviously costs money too), and you'd have to factor stuff in like breakages, shipping, insurance, etc...

Also, the best time to buy would be pre-ordering (especially with Sideshow exclusives) and there's a lot of risk with pre-ordering, including significant delays and the product not meeting expectations or having a significant problem. Not to mention that there are usually restrictions on the best stuff (usually one per customer) so speculating on multiples of the same piece would be very time and cash intensive.

Overall, there are much easier ways to make a buck. But if you collect what you like, and get in on the right pieces at the right time, you'll eventually end up with a collection that's worth more than you paid, and probably significantly so.

1-Some more sought-after statues and busts go up a bit, but I think many can be had for much less than regular price, just due to the fact that I think a lot of people tend to get rid of at least some of their statues after a while (money, space, etc.).

2-Initial price vs profit on them isn't nearly as much as say a valuable comic (plus a lot bigger buy-in per item vs a comic or even a toy). I can't think of many that would double in price ever, just due to the fact that they're expensive enough as it is. A lot of them, like someone else mentioned, for the rarer/highly desired ones, they tend to go up in price, then plateau for a long, long time. Pretty much they stay at that price for good.

3- Like COI said, it's just more of a hassle than anything to deal with these en-mass.

Points 1 and 2 are salient and interconnected. There are a couple of pieces available for pre-order right now from Sideshow that I would be my house will eventually double and maybe even triple in price. But as you said, how many are you gonna buy? You can only pre-order one, unless you get friends and family to make dummy accounts, and even then you'll have to shell out a lot of money to get them and store them for a relatively significant amount of time. Then, when it's time to sell, you'll have to put the pieces out for a decent amount of time if you want to get maximum FMV. Yeah, not worth it.

Do the Sideshows go up that much? (i.e. $500 statue worth $1,000- $1,500)???

It's more practical for an actual store to do this, I guess. Buy like 4 or 5 of something, sell a couple initially, and hold the others for a while. But again, they still couldn't do that for tones of statues, maybe a piece here or there. And then you get into popular characters vs the "oddball" characters (which I usually love). Have to decide which is the wiser investment. Most people are much more likely to buy a Hulk than an Apocalypse, but then the oddballs are going to be rarer, less statues around of them, etc., so might be more valuable, but harder to sell possibly. (shrug)

They can.

The original Doom PF retailed at around $300, now it goes for $2.5K; the Hulk PF goes for $2K; Captain American and Thor $1K+; Gambit $1K+; and there's more. And many of these pieces retailed originally for $300 or less.

I think this guy wins.......

That Hulk and Thor are obvious recasts of Sideshow's Hulk movie maquettes. I'm pretty sure the Iron Man and War Machine are also recasts. These are looked down upon by collectors, and rightfully so.

sideshow-collectibles-hulk-maquette-low.jpg

I love when the size of statues is discussed. It is SO difficult not to say something that will end up being quoted in the Out-of-Context Thread. lol

My piece is 12".

Man, I really, really, really want that new SS Red Sonja statue, but I think the wife will balk at the price and amount of exposed skin. I'd hate to get it and come home just to find that it was victim to an 'accident' like the lamp on A Christmas Story.

Man, I really, really, really want that new SS Red Sonja statue, but I think the wife will balk at the price and amount of exposed skin. I'd hate to get it and come home just to find that it was victim to an 'accident' like the lamp on A Christmas Story.

If the finished product turns out anywhere close to as nice as the production photos, that piece is going to be an all-time classic. I preordered the exclusive before it sold out. I too am already trying to formulate the excuses to give the wife once it shows up on our doorstep...but I couldn't resist. IT'S WORTH IT.

So, now, go buy it, so I'm not alone in being nagged. :baiting:

If you want the sold-out exclusive with the severed head, you better jump on the wait-list from now. By the time it actually comes out, the exclusive will be selling for a premium.

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/collectibles/red-sonja-red-sonja-sideshow-collectibles-2002581/

If the finished product turns out anywhere close to as nice as the production photos, that piece is going to be an all-time classic. I preordered the exclusive before it sold out. I too am already trying to formulate the excuses to give the wife once it shows up on our doorstep...but I couldn't resist. IT'S WORTH IT.

So, now, go buy it, so I'm not alone in being nagged. :baiting:

I think it's hilarious how scared guys are of their wives. :baiting: