• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Statue Collections
23 23

5,037 posts in this topic

Before Christmas I teased that I knew my wife was going to get me a statue for Christmas. I guess it's not technically a statue since it comes in 5 parts that you have to put together and there are lights on it (which are very cool). Regardless, for my first acquisition I was very pleased. I don't have pictures of it, but this is the one I received:

29841180.jpg

Before Christmas I teased that I knew my wife was going to get me a statue for Christmas. I guess it's not technically a statue since it comes in 5 parts that you have to put together and there are lights on it (which are very cool). Regardless, for my first acquisition I was very pleased. I don't have pictures of it, but this is the one I received:

Why would that not make it a statue? Every one of my statues come in at least a couple different parts.

Congrats!

Why would that not make it a statue? Every one of my statues come in at least a couple different parts.

Congrats!

It was my first, I'm a statue virgin, I don't know any better. :shy:

Congrats!

It was my first, I'm a statue virgin, I don't know any better. :shy:

They manufacture and package them in parts to make sure they can be shipped safely. (thumbs u

Man, I really, really, really want that new SS Red Sonja statue, but I think the wife will balk at the price and amount of exposed skin. I'd hate to get it and come home just to find that it was victim to an 'accident' like the lamp on A Christmas Story.

If the finished product turns out anywhere close to as nice as the production photos, that piece is going to be an all-time classic. I preordered the exclusive before it sold out. I too am already trying to formulate the excuses to give the wife once it shows up on our doorstep...but I couldn't resist. IT'S WORTH IT.

So, now, go buy it, so I'm not alone in being nagged. :baiting:

I think it's hilarious how scared guys are of their wives. :baiting:

Not scared, just resigned to the fact that the first words out of her mouth when it arrives will be "Sell this".

Actually, that's what she says every time she walks into my comic room. :(

Fortunately (for me), I don't actually listen to my wife.

I've always wondered how those Kotobukiya statues stack up against Bowen and Sideshow...

I love their styling

any thoughts?

They're comparable to Bowen in scale and price. I like the sculpts but don't like the fact that they're made out of PVC.

I've always wondered how those Kotobukiya statues stack up against Bowen and Sideshow...

I love their styling

any thoughts?

They're comparable to Bowen in scale and price. I like the sculpts but don't like the fact that they're made out of PVC.

does the PVC make them feel/look cheap?

I love their styling

any thoughts?

does the PVC make them feel/look cheap?

I wouldn't say cheap, but to my eyes they look a little too shiny/plasticy. Something about the texture bothers me.

Take it with a grain of salt though; I've only ever seen two of them in person, and many collectors swear by that company. And if Ebay prices are any indication, they are gaining lots of popularity. One thing that's for certain is, the (retail) price is right.

So I love the paint job and they're cheaper ($) than Hot Toys, but for Ironman, I go with Hot Toys. Money probably spent elsewhere, but I'm a fan. I also have the Hulk. Which I like the Sideshow statue better, but the 16" hulk is pretty badass next to Ironman. My 2cents.

I can't believe the prices on some Hot Toys. You could get full 1/4 scale Sideshow statues for what some of those figures go for. To each his own, I guess.

I love their styling

any thoughts?

The Venom is cold cast porcelain.

I love their styling

any thoughts?

Their more expensive fine arts line are made out of resin. The venom and spiderman are awesome, but 1/6 scale when you can spend a little more for a 1/5 or 1/4 SS. I'll give it to kotobukiya though, their paint apps are pretty close to the promos.