• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Canadian Newsstand Cover Price V****** Thread
18 18

2,874 posts in this topic

The direct versions of 370 are plentiful, but the newsstand not so much.

Not for those of us that grew up in the sticks and collected books. The direct editions were the variants for us. lol

That being said, the two Bronze & Copper Thor runs I landed last year both had newsstand copies of #337, #344, and #370, plus almost all of the others. These were collections from Edmonton and Calgary but the collectors still picked up the books from their local 7-11 or other drug store rather than LCSs. (thumbs u

It was like that when I was growing up, but in the late 80's, the comic shops started taking over. I used to get mine at the local Mac's but eventually ended up buying at the LCS as they had better selection and got the books two weeks before the newsstand. That being said, I find way more Thor 337/338 as Canadian Newsstands than I find direct. Wonder what it is about that book ?

The direct versions of 370 are plentiful, but the newsstand not so much.

Not for those of us that grew up in the sticks and collected books. The direct editions were the variants for us. lol

That being said, the two Bronze & Copper Thor runs I landed last year both had newsstand copies of #337, #344, and #370, plus almost all of the others. These were collections from Edmonton and Calgary but the collectors still picked up the books from their local 7-11 or other drug store rather than LCSs. (thumbs u

:hi:

It was like that when I was growing up, but in the late 80's, the comic shops started taking over. I used to get mine at the local Mac's but eventually ended up buying at the LCS as they had better selection and got the books two weeks before the newsstand. That being said, I find way more Thor 337/338 as Canadian Newsstands than I find direct. Wonder what it is about that book ?

It depends on where you look. At the LCSs in town, it is primarily direct except when they land a collection as those tend to hold a lot of newsstand copies of Marvels and DCs.

A great source in the past for newsstand variants was a small time seller that left town a few years ago (Ron from Leading Comics). He landed a huge hoard of books from a collector/hoarder and was selling them at $0.50 or $1.00 apiece. There were multiples of almost every Marvel and DC as newsstand variants in the mix. I only cherry picked the CA keys or #1s that were CDN newsstand copies, but I can recall seeing multiples of Thor #370 and that FF issue Donut posted earlier that are tougher to find. Back then I was not aware of their relative scarcity and missed out.

Edited by kimik

IF it is the same up there in the Great White North as it was here, the answer is easy. All the comic shops in the DC area sold out of Thor 337 nearly instantly. Two or three weeks later, everybody bought all the newsstand ones. Around here, same thing - you can find 337 and 338 newsstands all over the place. I'll bet there were sell throughs at all the 7-11s. I know that my friend Cris and I drove around northern Virginia and hit every place.

What would the most valuable Canadian Newsstand cover price variant be? Is it Swamp Thing #37 (1st Constantine)? Or, ASM #238 (1st Hobgoblin)? I can't think of any more significant price variants off the top of my head. ASM #252 or Secret Wars #8 are significant as well, but more plentiful than the other two.

What would the most valuable Canadian Newsstand cover price variant be? Is it Swamp Thing #37 (1st Constantine)? Or, ASM #238 (1st Hobgoblin)? I can't think of any more significant price variants off the top of my head. ASM #252 or Secret Wars #8 are significant as well, but more plentiful than the other two.

Spidey #238 75 cents is the clear winner (for the moment.)

I don't know about that - a Swamp Thing 37 95 center would do extremely well in this market right now, as would a 75 cent New Teen Titans 2.

I don't know about that - a Swamp Thing 37 95 center would do extremely well in this market right now, as would a 75 cent New Teen Titans 2.

Yeah, ST #37 makes a pretty fair answer, but there is no 75 cent NTT #2. The Canadian versions didn't come about (for DC) until 1982.

Yeah, ST #37 makes a pretty fair answer, but there is no 75 cent NTT #2. The Canadian versions didn't come about (for DC) until 1982.

I wish that NTT #2 had a CDN newsstand variant as the 9.8 I just got back would have been one as it was from the same collection as all of the other newsstand variants I posted....... :cry:

I am curious to see what a 9.8 newsstand WT #37 would fetch. My copy is only a 9.0, but it should be a $150+ book. The copy from the collection I picked up the other newsstand variants in was a stinking direct edition...... :tonofbricks:

Edited by kimik