• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Canadian Newsstand Cover Price V****** Thread
18 18

2,874 posts in this topic

I use to collect these because I thought the newsstand comics near my home were the original comics, so I stuck to them. These variations bring back sweet memories

I use to fish at the Salmon river (more like a creek), on the way back home from the corner store and catching 10 -14 inch trout, I kept the books in a back pack with a strong board, I remember one time my books got wet. I had 171 x-men 242, 241 of Amazing spider-man, I was so mad that I bought them again, lol. Sorry to bore you, lol

What I think a person should collect (if rarity and potential is the goal) are final issues of the Canadian newsstand variants. Like marvel two-in-one, the Thing, etc... The reason for this is the over all print runs would have been a lot lower given the fact that the sales aren't supporting these issues hence low print runs. Having said this, this would make those (cover price variants) last issues even rarer in the Canadian price variants.

If they decided to print a half or a third of the normal production run (market pending at the time) these variations will soon see the market of today as defined by Overstreet as scarce Today these Canadian variants are a lot easier to sell, and this is why I decided to hold on to them. Future potential is big.

We have to remember that these were not intended to be Cover price variations of a comic.

If you disagree then I ask, do you have any for sale for me to buy? and thank you. lol

Happy collecting,

Edited by wolverine94

I almost forgot, the other comics that would have a low print run is the last newsstand issues 95 cent variants. There was only 7 issues per series issued (marvel only).

I remember this bumming me out, that I could no longer go to the local country store, and the 5 and dime to get my comics from. Sad, because the spirit of comics had come to an end.

Edited by wolverine94

I use to collect these because I thought the newsstand comics near my home were the original comics, so I stuck to them. These variations bring back sweet memories

I use to fish at the Salmon river (more like a creek), on the way back home from the corner store and catching 10 -14 inch trout, I kept the books in a back pack with a strong board, I remember one time my books got wet. I had 171 x-men 242, 241 of Amazing spider-man, I was so mad that I bought them again, lol. Sorry to bore you, lol

What I think a person should collect (if rarity and potential is the goal) are final issues of the Canadian newsstand variants. Like marvel two-in-one, the Thing, etc... The reason for this is the over all print runs would have been a lot lower given the fact that the sales aren't supporting these issues hence low print runs. Having said this, this would make those (cover price variants) last issues even rarer in the Canadian price variants.

If they decided to print a half or a third of the normal production run (market pending at the time) these variations will soon see the market of today as defined by Overstreet as scarce Today these Canadian variants are a lot easier to sell, and this is why I decided to hold on to them. Future potential is big.

We have to remember that these were not intended to be Cover price variations of a comic.

If you disagree then I ask, do you have any for sale for me to buy? and thank you. lol

Happy collecting,

The 95 cent issues are legitimately tough to find, and the last ones in each set are really tough. The Thor 370 is probably the hardest of all of them to find.

The last issues of any series for all publishers would have had a much lower print run than normal I believe. Titles that ended with little to no warning to readers were due to poor and declining sales. I find the scarcest newsstand Canadian price variant dated from 9/82 on to be Josie #106 in my opinion. The only Canadian price variant of that series and the indicia states in that final issue that the book was down to an amazing low publication of just 2 times a year!. I have seen only 2 copies of that newsstand Canadian price variant surface so far.

I have collected Canadian newsstand over the years as I collect Canadian comic books. My observations so far.

Easy to Find

Archie Comics

75 cent (1982-1985)

95 Cent (1984-1986) DC Comics only

Hard to Find

Star Comics

95 cent (1984-1986) Marvel Comics only

Annuals

Still researching DC & Marvel Comics $1.00 or higher. DC Comics are hard to find & Marvel Comics are extremely hard to find.

I have collected Canadian newsstand over the years as I collect Canadian comic books. My observations so far.

Easy to Find

Archie Comics

75 cent (1982-1985)

95 Cent (1984-1986) DC Comics only

Hard to Find

Star Comics

95 cent (1984-1986) Marvel Comics only

Annuals

Still researching DC & Marvel Comics $1.00 or higher. DC Comics are hard to find & Marvel Comics are extremely hard to find.

I have found that most Canadian Newsstand Variants are easy to find, but not in high grade. I sold a bunch of them to Dan and others a few years back from a LCS that had tons of them in their dollar boxes. Most were in decent FN to VF shape, but true 9.0+ copes are harder to find.

I did land a bunch of HG copies in a collection last summer, but sold most of the common/non-popular books to a LCS as I needed to recycle the $$$ fast for another purchase.

Edited by kimik