• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Preacher - AMC

1,535 posts in this topic

But but but how does it stack up to WD? Come on where is that comparison at peeps. :taptaptap:

Well for anyone buying Preacher 1 they want it to be at least as good as WD right? Prices are already in the stupid zone for CGC 9.8's.

Preacher is a top 10 show on Sunday nights that's good. Its not or never will be the cultural phenomenon that GOT or WD are.

How will that affect sales, for now probably 0 as people are going to prop up sales and shill for a good while but I imagine we will see $500 sales before end of the year on CGC 9.8's

Breaking bad always did this with flashbacks and flash forwards as a cold opener to the main episode and I think that was one of the best features of its storytelling.

I'm liking preacher a lot so far. I'm glad it's not a note for note interpretation of the comic. Otherwise there wouldn't be a surprise factor.

If the material is complex then it needs to be simplified to be accessible to the general audience

If it's not then people won't continue to watch it

WD delivers in the accessible area. Many different people can watch and enjoy it.

If you aren't a fan of the comic it's difficult material to digest and invest time etc the way it's being presented.

I'm not stating whether it's good or bad, that's an entire different discussion.

But but but how does it stack up to WD? Come on where is that comparison at peeps. :taptaptap:

Well for anyone buying Preacher 1 they want it to be at least as good as WD right? Prices are already in the stupid zone for CGC 9.8's.

Preacher is a top 10 show on Sunday nights that's good. Its not or never will be the cultural phenomenon that GOT or WD are.

How will that affect sales, for now probably 0 as people are going to prop up sales and shill for a good while but I imagine we will see $500 sales before end of the year on CGC 9.8's

I sold a 9.6 for $570 last Sunday. Buyer paid. Book is on fire.

If the material is complex then it needs to be simplified to be accessible to the general audience

WD delivers in the accessible area. Many different people can watch and enjoy it.

If you aren't a fan of the comic it's difficult material to digest and invest time etc the way it's being presented.

I'm not stating whether it's good or bad, that's an entire different discussion.

I think the general public in America is different than the general public in Canada if the first 2 episodes of Preacher are considered complex south of the 49th. I wonder what people in Alaska think?

I have enjoyed these 2 episodes more than season 6 of WD, which was essentially built on 2 gimmicks. Is Glen Dead? And Negan is coming.

Well, and the third gimmick where the cameraman got Luicilled.

I heard some gay kissing made WD inaccessible for some. Apparently, there is no place for gay smooching on a family program.

I think the general public in America is different than the general public in Canada if the first 2 episodes of Preacher are considered complex south of the 49th. I wonder what people in Alaska think?

Complex in the storytelling context

Non linear needs to be done right. Like I said I had time watching the first 30 mins. Still haven't gone back to watch episode 1 or 2. I will and give it a shot.

Episode 2 was an improvement for me. Of course that's not too hard since the pilot was pretty much a miss. My wife (who couldn't care less about comics) seemed to be enjoying it a little more too, right up to the part where she fell asleep anyway.

This is how I felt as well. After watching Episode 1, I felt meh:whatev: but Episode 2 felt much more entertaining and a better overall episode.

Both my parents said they thought it was Better than walking dead and they don't understand things very easy imo... I don't agree with that but I am loving preacher

They aren't complex....they are out of context...as in there's no context for them to be IN, yet. I don't have a problem with what I am being shown. So far they've laid little groundwork to what viewers are being shown beyond the basic motivations of the three mains.

That's been the issue mostly. Breaking Bad used all those methods of storytelling AFTER laying all the groundwork of the central characters. They got all viewers on the same page as to the Who's and Where's and What's and spent the rest of the time telling the How's and Why's.

Hit the audience, in the first episode or two, with who these people are and what road they are on....it would make all these little side vignettes carry more weight instantly instead of assuming everyone is along for the entire season ride.

I'm going to watch the entire season but i think they are stifling their viewer growth by being too cryptic for their own good.

They aren't complex....they are out of context...as in there's no context for them to be IN, yet. I don't have a problem with what I am being shown. So far they've laid little groundwork to what viewers are being shown beyond the basic motivations of the three mains.

That's been the issue mostly. Breaking Bad used all those methods of storytelling AFTER laying all the groundwork of the central characters. They got all viewers on the same page as to the Who's and Where's and What's and spent the rest of the time telling the How's and Why's.

Hit the audience, in the first episode or two, with who these people are and what road they are on....it would make all these little side vignettes carry more weight instantly instead of assuming everyone is along for the entire season ride.

I'm going to watch the entire season but i think they are stifling their viewer growth by being too cryptic for their own good.

this is what I meant. I'm not as good as explaining stuff as Comix and he hit my point exactly.

Stop being so damn cute about the story and tell it. It's a good story, it will work without all this other stuff

I never read the entire run but I read several issues and know most of the story genesis etc.

I have watched both episodes and have enjoyed thus far.

The one thing that I dislike is the goofy large letter dates and text on the screen from time to time. Gives it a camp feel like an old B Movie, which I am a huge fan of but not for the TV show.

Both my parents said they thought it was Better than walking dead and they don't understand things very easy imo... I don't agree with that but I am loving preacher

You still live with your parents? :baiting:

I never read the entire run but I read several issues and know most of the story genesis etc.

I have watched both episodes and have enjoyed thus far.

The one thing that I dislike is the goofy large letter dates and text on the screen from time to time. Gives it a camp feel like an old B Movie, which I am a huge fan of but not for the TV show.

That's the first thing I thought of during the opening sequence in outer space. The music, the way the film skipped, the sound. It was all 1950's B science fiction.