• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman #1 Club
7 7

1,815 posts in this topic

Alton

I remember at the Cincinnati Comic Expo in 2012 I had my Bat 1 on my wall display just as an attention grabber. Several people asked how much including you and I said $10K knowing nobody would pay that amount.

You told me later that you were seriously thinking about buying it. :o

I would have crapped my pants if you tried to buy it.

I plan on being at the show this year so we should hook up.

Leroy

Hmm .... this particular .5 copy it could shiff 12Kish regions. Just a poor mans guesstimate .... :sorry:

It won't be sniffing my 12K regions.

Well one never knows lol: this particular book is the poor man's tec 27

More like "moderately well-to-do man's" Tec 27. :D

With a low grade copy such as this, there's always the potential to see bids from collectors who view this as their holy grail comic book, especially since Tec #27 is out of most people's price ranges. But no "poor man" is getting close to a Batman #1, the prices are exceedingly strong.

I'm with you Wayne-Tec. This book could fetch more than it normally fetches because of the "out-of-reach" Tec 27 prices. (thumbs u

To whoever ends up winning this copy, it's hard to go wrong with a blue label Batman #1. :headbang:

It is hideous. A very ugly copy in my opinion.

Hmm .... this particular .5 copy it could shiff 12Kish regions. Just a poor mans guesstimate .... :sorry:

It won't be sniffing my 12K regions.

Well one never knows lol: this particular book is the poor man's tec 27

More like "moderately well-to-do man's" Tec 27. :D

With a low grade copy such as this, there's always the potential to see bids from collectors who view this as their holy grail comic book, especially since Tec #27 is out of most people's price ranges. But no "poor man" is getting close to a Batman #1, the prices are exceedingly strong.

I'm with you Wayne-Tec. This book could fetch more than it normally fetches because of the "out-of-reach" Tec 27 prices. (thumbs u

To whoever ends up winning this copy, it's hard to go wrong with a blue label Batman #1. :headbang:

It is hideous. A very ugly copy in my opinion.

Agreed. I'm definitely passing on it as well. There comes a point where a book is so ugly to look at and/or too incomplete, there is just no pride or point in even owning it. Especially at an exaggerated or exorbitant price point. Sometimes "just having one" isn't enough. There was a low grade cap 1 on ebay a while ago that I felt the same way about. Guess I'll just have to keep waiting...

-J.

Agreed. I'm definitely passing on it as well. There comes a point where a book is so ugly to look at and/or too incomplete, there is just no pride or point in even owning it. Especially at an exaggerated or exorbitant price point. Sometimes "just having one" isn't enough. There was a low grade cap 1 on ebay a while ago that I felt the same way about. Guess I'll just have to keep waiting...

There's really no right or wrong when it comes to preference. I mentioned this in a thread not too long ago, but I believe in situations like this, it really comes down to what you value more as a collector...

Historical significance/content --or--- condition/preservation.

It's certainly not definitvely black or while, for anyone really. I can only speak for myself by saying that naturally, the higher the grade the better. But when it comes to expensive books, that's just not practical. With books like Batman #1 --and we're now talking the 4th most valuable book on the planet-- most can't afford to be picky. If 10K or so is the entry level price to acquire a copy with at least the front cover, a collector has to decide if they want to own a copy of one of the greatest comics of all time, or if they want several higher graded copies of forgettable issues.

I find that a lot of non-key GA books are mostly appreciated for their artwork and/or the desire to complete a run. You probably won't hear comic book historians talking about Batman #5 in any documentaries. So the value of the book to most collectors is not related to the content of what's in between the pages.

We collect whatever we enjoy, so again, it's all subjective. But a lot of collectors really treasure the content and historical significance of books like Batman #1 so much so that it easily overshadows the sacrifice in grade usually needed to obtain a copy.

There's really no right or wrong when it comes to preference. I mentioned this in a thread not too long ago, but I believe in situations like this, it really comes down to what you value more as a collector...

Historical significance/content --or--- condition/preservation.

It's certainly not definitvely black or while, for anyone really. I can only speak for myself by saying that naturally, the higher the grade the better. But when it comes to expensive books, that's just not practical. With books like Batman #1 --and we're now talking the 4th most valuable book on the planet-- most can't afford to be picky. If 10K or so is the entry level price to acquire a copy with at least the front cover, a collector has to decide if they want to own a copy of one of the greatest comics of all time, or if they want several higher graded copies of forgettable issues.

I find that a lot of non-key GA books are mostly appreciated for their artwork and/or the desire to complete a run. You probably won't hear comic book historians talking about Batman #5 in any documentaries. So the value of the book to most collectors is not related to the content of what's in between the pages.

We collect whatever we enjoy, so again, it's all subjective. But a lot of collectors really treasure the content and historical significance of books like Batman #1 so much so that it easily overshadows the sacrifice in grade usually needed to obtain a copy.

I don't know if a .5 batman 1 is a 10k book, but I would be surprised if "that" .5 goes for 10k. But who knows, stranger things have happened. It just won't be my 10k. I'll gladly wait for one that doesn't make me angry whenever I look at it. :insane:

-J.

Alton

I remember at the Cincinnati Comic Expo in 2012 I had my Bat 1 on my wall display just as an attention grabber. Several people asked how much including you and I said $10K knowing nobody would pay that amount.

You told me later that you were seriously thinking about buying it. :o

I would have crapped my pants if you tried to buy it.

I plan on being at the show this year so we should hook up.

Leroy

Leroy, I also plan on being at the show this year, and we will definitely talk, I was serious about buying your copy, but could tell you didn't want to let it go, rightfully so, great book. but I found another copy anyway. ;)

Well if someone feel they need an affordable 'blue chip' Bat #1, complete with a frontcover. 10K could very well be the entry level figure for the ground floor ...

Pepole always talk about first Joker. But hey guys dont forget Bat 1 has first Catwoman as well. She is a great character. Michelle Pfeiffer did her in one of Burtons movies: fantastic ... :cloud9:

Edited by Marvel Zombie

Well if someone feel they need an affordable 'blue chip' Bat #1, complete with a frontcover. 10K could very well be the entry level figure for the ground floor ...

Pepole always talk about first Joker. But hey guys dont forget Bat 1 has first Catwoman as well. She is a great character. Michelle Pfeiffer did her in one of Burtons movies: fantastic ... :cloud9:

I've said many times that from a content perspective, Batman #1 has no peers.

The historical significance of Action Comics #1 trumps it, but Batman #1 has the best collection of content you'll ever find in a Golden Age comic book.

*1st Batman solo book.

*1st app. of the Joker.

*1st app. of Catwoman.

*Classic cover.

*Final Pre-Robin Tec story.

*2nd app. of Hugo Strange (made famous in Arkham City).

*3rd app. of Robin.

*Origin of Batman reprinted.

When you add the fact that Christopher Nolan used the two Joker stories from the book to help derive his interpretation of Heath Ledger's Joker, you're adding a modern, extremely relevant, extremely cool factor into the mix.

It's tough to top all that.

The historical significance of Action Comics #1 trumps it, but Batman #1 has the best collection of content you'll ever find in a Golden Age comic book.

*1st Batman solo book.

*1st app. of the Joker.

*1st app. of Catwoman.

*Classic cover.

*3rd app. of Robin.

When you add the fact that Christopher Nolan used the two Joker stories from the book to help derive his interpretation of Heath Ledger's Joker, you're adding a modern, extremely relevant, extremely cool factor into the mix.

^^

Could someone possibly post this first glimpse of the clown prince of crime.
I'll do better. Here's my Joker/ Bat 1 splash recreation painting by our very own Ryan Heshka. This would have made a great Bat 1 cover--first joker app and on the FC--perhaps Bat 1 would be worth a bit more today? I think demand would be even higher.

D25A01FA-BF37-4DDE-BB31-E8472449D5AC-2944-000001F2A6C2F591_zps3c2aac26.jpg

Here's the original splash on the first joker story on bat 1

DB1FBFE8-A793-4C03-9A2D-317CAFA40AD2-302-000000544D693C3B_zps4fa4ba31.jpg

Love it Ben! Yeah, that might have made for an even more iconic cover. BTW: Yours truly may or may not be talking with Mr. Heshka regarding a couple GA cover recreations! The more I looked at his work, the more I realized I had to get something.

Heshka... :cloud9:

*1st Batman solo book.

*1st app. of the Joker.

*1st app. of Catwoman.

*Classic cover.

*3rd app. of Robin.

^^

What he said ...

Well the Sparkle City .5 didn't hit $10,000

Did anyone honestly think it would?

-J.

to be honest I wouldn't have been surprised...I said earlier I though 8-10K being the ballpark with 10 being a bid that should be able to take the book home and 8K being pretty fair to both buyer and seller...let's not forget this is a BATMAN #1!!!...everyone is knocking this book I just don't think it that bad for the grade...BTW I was not the winner or even bidding just my 2c congrats to the buyer if he is boardie I think it is a darn cool book

-J.

I am actually amazed at how high it did close. It was a beyond ugly copy and incomplete to boot.

+1. It petered out at just under the highest I thought it might go for, though I am a bit surprised it even broke 8k with such poor eye appeal. Looking forward to that 4 on comic link now. Any thoughts on FMV on that one?

-J.

-J.

I am actually amazed at how high it did close. It was a beyond ugly copy and incomplete to boot.

+1. It petered out at just under the highest I thought it might go for, though I am a bit surprised it even broke 8k with such poor eye appeal. Looking forward to that 4 on comic link now. Any thoughts on FMV on that one?

-J.

I would guess in the $35k to $40k but given how high prices have been, maybe I am low (shrug)

-J.

-J.

I would guess in the $35k to $40k but given how high prices have been, maybe I am low (shrug)

(thumbs u That's the range I'm figuring as well.

-J.