• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman #1 Club
7 7

1,815 posts in this topic

But my brain can wrap itself around the AF 15 prices a little bit more easily given that it's the first appearance of Marvel's all time biggest superhero. Bats 1 is definitely a pricey book considering that it's basically only the first appearance of a couple of villains. Even if one of them is the Joker.

This subject has come up before. I have a few thoughts on it.

While rarity no doubt can play a factor in driving up the prices of certain GA books, a book does not need to be incredibly rare by GA standards to maintain an extremely high value, with the potential to trend upwards.

Lets compare Batman #1 to Action #7 for instance.

Both are incredibly desirable, but Action #7 is considerably more rare. Content for content, there is no competition:

Batman #1

1st app. of the Joker.

1st app. of Catwoman.

2nd app. of the Joker.

2nd app. of Hugo Strange.

3rd app. of Robin.

Last Pre-Robin Tec story.

Action Comics #7

7th app. of Superman.

Circus story.

One book's content was used as reference material by Christopher Nolan for one of the most successful films in the history of modern cinema, the latter sports a really cool cover.

But my brain can wrap itself around the AF 15 prices a little bit more easily given that it's the first appearance of Marvel's all time biggest superhero. Bats 1 is definitely a pricey book considering that it's basically only the first appearance of a couple of villains. Even if one of them is the Joker.

While rarity no doubt can play a factor in driving up the prices of certain GA books, a book does not need to be incredibly rare by GA standards to maintain an extremely high value, with the potential to trend upwards.

Both are incredibly desirable, but Action #7 is considerably more rare. Content for content, there is no competition:

Batman #1

1st app. of the Joker.

1st app. of Catwoman.

2nd app. of the Joker.

3rd app. of Robin.

Action Comics #7

7th app. of Superman.

Circus story.

One book's content was used as reference material by Christopher Nolan for one of the most successful films in the history of modern cinema, the latter sports a really cool cover.

The first appearance of the Joker is the only thing that turns me on about the book, and for me, the price of it at its current levels just does not warrant that kind of investment, especially with a Tec 33 already in hand. I would rather just keep playing the lotto and wait for a Tec 27 lol. But that's just me and my little opinion. I give props to anyone that has a copy in any condition, as it is, without a doubt, a very highly sought after comic book. (thumbs u

-J.

I recently had another chance to thumb through a Batman 1 raw. One of the greatest GA books of them all. The Joker stories are still, in my little opinion, the consummate depiction of that character.

Ive turned down 55K for my 3.5 bat 1, mainly because I already sold it for 55K lol

would take 60K to buy it now

hm

Let's see a scan

:bump::taptaptap:

I think GAtor means he turned down an offer of $55K because he had already sold it for that, and it would take $60K to buy it back (or another one of similar eye appeal in grade).

-J.

I understood that. My post was to solicit a scan from him in case I am willing to pay his price

Maybe I'm the one misunderstanding? Didn't GAtor state that he no longer has that book/already sold? (shrug)

-J.

I sold book this summer for 55K on time payments...I still "own" book till it is paid off (will be next year lol )

owner says he would sell for a 10% profit, hence it would take 60K (or so) to purchase it (thumbs u

Gotcha. So it is technically available, via the new owner who is trying to flip it even though he is not actually the owner nor in possession of it.

Man I love this business. :insane:

-J.

that sums it up lol

Batman #1

1st app. of the Joker.

1st app. of Catwoman.

2nd app. of the Joker.

3rd app. of Robin.

Action Comics #7

7th app. of Superman.

Circus story.

Adding my .02. I think the Joker is DC's third biggest character behind Supes and Bats.

Batman #1

1st app. of the Joker.

1st app. of Catwoman.

2nd app. of the Joker.

3rd app. of Robin.

Action Comics #7

7th app. of Superman.

Circus story.

Adding my .02. I think the Joker is DC's third biggest character behind Supes and Bats.

I find this to be my stance on the Jokester as well

Batman #1

1st app. of the Joker.

1st app. of Catwoman.

2nd app. of the Joker.

3rd app. of Robin.

Action Comics #7

7th app. of Superman.

Circus story.

As a newbie, I feel the same way, I would buy the batman 1 to have the first appearance of the joker ( I don't have one of these but will join this club one day)

Batman #1

1st app. of the Joker.

1st app. of Catwoman.

2nd app. of the Joker.

3rd app. of Robin.

Action Comics #7

7th app. of Superman.

Circus story.

+1

The first appearance of the Joker is the only thing that turns me on about the book, and for me, the price of it at its current levels just does not warrant that kind of investment, especially with a Tec 33 already in hand. I would rather just keep playing the lotto and wait for a Tec 27 lol. But that's just me and my little opinion. I give props to anyone that has a copy in any condition, as it is, without a doubt, a very highly sought after comic book. (thumbs u

-J.

As others have mentioned, the Joker is arguably (if not likely) the 3rd biggest character in the DC Universe.

There is no wrong answer when it comes to personal preference. Personally, I feel Tec #33 to be a highly underrated book. The origin of Batman may be the most well known story in the history of comics.

But there are a great many factors contributing to Batman #1's extensive value and perpetual growth.

-J.

As others have mentioned, the Joker is arguably (if not likely) the 3rd biggest character in the DC Universe.

There is no wrong answer when it comes to personal preference. Personally, I feel Tec #33 to be a highly underrated book. The origin of Batman may be the most well known story in the history of comics.

But there are a great many factors contributing to Batman #1's extensive value and perpetual growth.

Hey there Wayne-Tec, you're definitely preaching to the choir about Tec 33 lol. While still clearly a highly sought and expensive book, Tecs 29 and 31 have surpassed it, at least in value, pretty much based on the "coolness" of their covers. I'm not so sure 35 has anymore, at least not after some of this past year's public auction results, and a seeming mini-resurgence of 33. I don't know if Tec 33 is "under rated", but it is probably under valued compared to those other pre-Robin Tecs. I think a lot of collectors have been fine with bypassing Tec 33 and going straight for the Bats 1 because it contains a reprint of that origin story, along with the first appearance of the Joker. But more importantly, I think people dig that #1 on the cover and the fact that it's Batman's first solo title. Put that together with the fact that the vast, vast majority of the collector base will never be able to afford an actual Tec 27, and you have the perfect storm for a highly sought and uber expensive book.

As for me, when I break it down, I do think it would be cool to have that first appearance of the Joker, but not at the low grade price points the book currently sits at, no matter how big of a villain he is. There is no Joker without Batman, and that's just a lot of money to me for a first villain appearance. I would probably feel A LOT differently about it if Tec 33 did not contain the origin story first, and Bats 1 did. Then I would probably gun for the book and might think its current price levels were right on target. But as it stands, Tec 33 contains that first told origin, and that book is really the turning point of the Batman character....where he actually became the Batman, and not just another rip off of the Shadow. The fact that Bats 1 reprints it so soon after the Tec 33 came out only highlights the significance of that. It was also his first 12 page story if I'm not mistaken. It is by this same logic, by the way, that I don't see any reason to spend big bucks on an ASM 1, when there's already an AF 15 in my collection, and I'm not going to want to spend $15K or some crazy amount (by SA standards) for the first appearance of the Green Goblin or the Vulture.

Like you said though, everybody has their preferences and priorities in their collection, and if I had unlimited funds I would gladly own both! :whee:

-J.

Hey there Wayne-Tec, you're definitely preaching to the choir about Tec 33 lol. While still clearly a highly sought and expensive book, Tecs 29 and 31 have surpassed it, at least in value, pretty much based on the "coolness" of their covers. I'm not so sure 35 has anymore, at least not after some of this past year's public auction results, and a seeming mini-resurgence of 33. I don't know if Tec 33 is "under rated", but it is probably under valued compared to those other pre-Robin Tecs. I think a lot of collectors have been fine with bypassing Tec 33 and going straight for the Bats 1 because it contains a reprint of that origin story, along with the first appearance of the Joker. But more importantly, I think people dig that #1 on the cover and the fact that it's Batman's first solo title. Put that together with the fact that the vast, vast majority of the collector base will never be able to afford an actual Tec 27, and you have the perfect storm for a highly sought and uber expensive book.

As for me, when I break it down, I do think it would be cool to have that first appearance of the Joker, but not at the low grade price points the book currently sits at, no matter how big of a villain he is. There is no Joker without Batman, and that's just a lot of money to me for a first villain appearance. I would probably feel A LOT differently about it if Tec 33 did not contain the origin story first, and Bats 1 did. Then I would probably gun for the book and might think its current price levels were right on target. But as it stands, Tec 33 contains that first told origin, and that book is really the turning point of the Batman character....where he actually became the Batman, and not just another rip off of the Shadow. The fact that Bats 1 reprints it so soon after the Tec 33 came out only highlights the significance of that. It was also his first 12 page story if I'm not mistaken. It is by this same logic, by the way, that I don't see any reason to spend big bucks on an ASM 1, when there's already an AF 15 in my collection, and I'm not going to want to spend $15K or some crazy amount (by SA standards) for the first appearance of the Green Goblin or the Vulture.

Like you said though, everybody has their preferences and priorities in their collection, and if I had unlimited funds I would gladly own both! :whee:

-J.

In terms of historical significance, Tec #33 easily eclipses Tec #29, 31, 35 and all others sans 27. I think the cover is nearly as cool as any other Pre-Robin out there, but obviously it is the origin that makes it special. I love the combination of the Tec #34 splash artwork with the reprinted origin story from Tec #33 found in Batman #1.

The comparison between the Joker's first appearance and the Green Goblin's though, is not equivalent. Unlike Batman, Spiderman does not have a clear-cut arch nemesis. The Green Goblin, Doc Ock and Venom can all be considered, as all have been the Spidey villain at various points in time.

The Joker has always been Batman's arch nemesis with no close second. Batman #1 would sell itself without the Joker even being present. Superman #1 is the third most valuable book in the hobby, and outside of a brief, unnamed cameo of "The Kents", there are no notable first appearances of any kind in Superman #1.

None of Spiderman's villains are as big in the Marvel Universe as the Joker is in the DC Universe. So the combination of factors: 1st Batman solo book, 1st app. of the Joker, 1st app. of Catwoman, last Pre-Robin Tec story, classic cover, etc. really drive Batman #1 to a special place. While there are a number of GA books that are currently treasured for factors the likes of rarity, cool covers, etc. -- I believe a day will come when collectors look at all of the content Batman #1 has to over and in turn, value it even more so for reasons beyond the "No. 1" on the cover. (thumbs u

Edited by Wayne-Tec

-J.

In terms of historical significance, Tec #33 easily eclipses Tec #29, 31, 35 and all others sans 27. I think the cover is nearly as cool as any other Pre-Robin out there, but obviously it is the origin that makes it special. I love the combination of the Tec #34 splash artwork with the reprinted origin story from Tec #33 found in Batman #1.

The comparison between the Joker's first appearance and the Green Goblin's though, is not equivalent. Unlike Batman, Spiderman does not have a clear-cut arch nemesis. The Green Goblin, Doc Ock and Venom can all be considered, as all have been the Spidey villain at various points in time.

The Joker has always been Batman's arch nemesis with no close second. Batman #1 would sell itself without the Joker even being present. Superman #1 is the third most valuable book in the hobby, and outside of a brief, unnamed cameo of "The Kents", there are no notable first appearances of any kind in Superman #1.

None of Spiderman's villains are as big in the Marvel Universe as the Joker is in the DC Universe. So the combination of factors: 1st Batman solo book, 1st app. of the Joker, 1st app. of Catwoman, last Pre-Robin Tec story, classic cover, etc. really drive Batman #1 to a special place. While there are a number of GA books that are currently treasured for factors the likes of rarity, cool covers, etc. -- I believe a day will come when collectors look at all of the content Batman #1 has to over and in turn, value it even more so for reasons beyond the "No. 1" on the cover. (thumbs u

well said !

all things considered Bat1 seem to "outshine" Supe1 ... even when you consider the rarity of supe1

-J.

well said !

all things considered Bat1 seem to "outshine" Supe1 ... even when you consider the rarity of supe1

Couldn't agree more about Tec 33. And you're spot on about Supes 1 as well. I would give the clear edge to Batman 1 over that one any day, night or weekend lol in terms of its overall greater intrinsic value. If ever there was a book that was sought just because of the #1 on the cover it is that one. Isn't it only a compilation of reprinted stories? Although, with that being said, I would own one of those in a heart beat at a "decent" price as well lol. And I only used the Spidey example as he is the SA king, and the Goblin is one of his first villains, but seeing what they are doing with the Superior title maybe Doc Ock would have been a better example. But in terms of overall villains, Doctor Doom would be the Marvel Universe's Joker, and I still would not spend a sick amount of money on an FF #5 just to get his first appearance. He's still just a villain. A main one yes, but just a villain, who exists only to be an agitator for the heroes and main characters. And let's be real, if the Joker first appeared in Batman #5, Batman #1 would still be worth a hell of a lot of money. It's that #1 mystique. People just gotta have it.

-J.

I'd rather have a Action 7/10/13 over a Supes #1 anyday, I just can't get over Supes #1 being just reprints of Action 1-4 and the cover is a reprint of the Action #10 splash art.

After TEC #27, I would want a Bat #1 over any other the pre-Robin TECS based on it being the first Joker, since he really is one of the most important DC characters.

-J.

well said !

In my opinion, Batman #1 outshines Superman #1 in many ways.

The significance of Superman #1 being the first comic book devoted entirely to a superhero cannot be overlooked. It includes an "expanded" origin, the inclusion of "The Kents" (who go nameless) and a "scientific" explanation of Clark's powers.

But still, it is mostly reprinted material, with the classic front cover image being a swipe from Action #10's splash page.

Batman #1 is a deep on a number of levels.

1) 1st app. of the Joker:

It's not just the first appearance of the most iconic villain --by far-- in the history of comics, but the story is remarkably deep by 1940's standards. By Batman #2, they had already began the gradual process of softening the Joker, so Batman #1 is really the only place to catch the character in his true essence. Many of the Batman parts are campy, but the depiction of the Joker was strong enough for Christopher Nolan to use the two stories in Batman #1 as source material for Heath Ledger's depiction of the character.

2) 1st app. of Catwoman:

She's the most iconic villainess in the history of comics. She's proven to be popular enough to warrant her own feature film. It was a major disappointment, but the character was still strong enough to at least get a shot at the big screen as the main character. That in and of itself was a remarkable feat.

3) First issue of the series devoted to DC's most popular character:

Superman #1 was so experimental that the cover didn't even bare the "No. 1" insignia. It's a NN issue that we now recognize as the first. It's an obscure fact perhaps, that Batman #1 is the first title to include both the superhero's name, and the "No. 1" designation on the front cover. The series is still running today, though re-numbered as a volume two.

4) Final Pre-Robin Tec story:

Pre-Robin Tecs are revered for the dark, gothic feel that existed before Robin was introduced into the DC Universe. Batman #1 sports that very last story. He used a gun, violated his "one rule" and was nothing like the corporate-Batman to come.

5) 3rd app. of Robin, 2nd app. of Hugo Strange:

While people don't generally covet the "third appearance" of anyone, Batman #1 still featured Robin in his infancy. Hugo Strange was one of the main characters in the critically acclaimed Arkham City video game, so now an entirely new generation of comic book fans know who he is -- which is more than we can say for most GA villains.

6) Classic cover:

The image of Batman and Robin swinging through the streets is now immortal. There are certainly more artistically elaborate covers and there are certainly "cooler" covers -- but few outside of Action #1 are more iconic than this one.

As a new generation of collectors enter the hobby, I personally believe that there will be more thought behind why one chooses to spend five-figures plus on a comic book. There are no right or wrong choices when it comes to collecting what you like, but with that being said, there are a lot of books that sell for top-dollar without a lot of relevant content.

A decade from now, I believe collectors will see a greater depth of reasons to acquire a book the likes of Batman #1 vs. others that as of today, can be had at a similar price point.

Edited by Wayne-Tec

Here's my copy. I had to go purple to get a nice looking one.Not that I mind,I actually like restored comics. :screwy: Mid to high grade blue labels are out of reach for me,and even if I built a war chest by selling off part of my collection I don't think I'd be comfortable putting so much into one funny book.

2013-12-12083809_zps78ec870d.jpg

:takeit: