• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman #1 Club
7 7

1,815 posts in this topic

Superman 1 has a lot of significance in my opinion and should not be deemed as just a reprint book from Action 1

I listed a number of things that Superman #1 has going for it content-wise in an earlier post:

*Expanded origin of Superman.

*1st app. of the Kents (unnamed).

*"Scientific" explanation of Superman's powers.

*1st book devoted entirely to a superhero.

All great things that make Superman #1 more than just a collection of reprints.

But content vs. content, it's nowhere near Batman #1.

Agreed, as it`s hard to beat the first appearance of both Joker and the Catwoman.

Plus Supes #1 is non-existent in 7.0 or above.

For collectors whose budgets can warrant purchasing unrestored Superman #1's in said condition, no doubt that the rarity factor plays a big role in the appeal there. I can see that for sure.

But I was discussing content vs. content so rarity in-grade isn't related there.

When I'm thinking about the importance of a book, scarcity in high grades isn't one of the first things that comes to mind. I feel the greater test is desirability in the low-grades because that often times illustrates a different kind of appreciation and it's centered around the importance of the book itself.

If a book is desirable because it's hard to find in a higher grade, than a lot of that desirability is coming from scarcity, not the content of the book. Again, there's no right or wrong answer when it comes to personal preference, I'm just saying that the value and desirability of Superman #1 is --in my opinion-- often driven by factors outside of content, whereas Batman #1 is highly content-driven.

Scarcity does make a book important. How big would would Adventure 40 be if it was not so hard to find. It's a nice book but the thin supply fuels the fire. All I'm saying is that Supes #1 supply is just another point not the only or most important point that makes it a bigger book than Batman #1.

That being said, I'll take a Batman 1 every day all day. It is in my top five.

Plus Supes #1 is non-existent in 7.0 or above.

For collectors whose budgets can warrant purchasing unrestored Superman #1's in said condition, no doubt that the rarity factor plays a big role in the appeal there. I can see that for sure.

But I was discussing content vs. content so rarity in-grade isn't related there.

When I'm thinking about the importance of a book, scarcity in high grades isn't one of the first things that comes to mind. I feel the greater test is desirability in the low-grades because that often times illustrates a different kind of appreciation and it's centered around the importance of the book itself.

If a book is desirable because it's hard to find in a higher grade, than a lot of that desirability is coming from scarcity, not the content of the book. Again, there's no right or wrong answer when it comes to personal preference, I'm just saying that the value and desirability of Superman #1 is --in my opinion-- often driven by factors outside of content, whereas Batman #1 is highly content-driven.

Scarcity does make a book important. How big would would Adventure 40 be if it was not so hard to find. It's a nice book but the thin supply fuels the fire. All I'm saying is that Supes #1 supply is just another point not the only or most important point that makes it a bigger book than Batman #1.

That being said, I'll take a Batman 1 every day all day. It is in my top five.

I hear ya. (thumbs u

I was just talking content vs. content.

Absolutely, scarcity drives up demand. But a lot of times with scarce books, that's really the primary factor driving its desirability, not the content.

Superman 1 has a lot of significance in my opinion and should not be deemed as just a reprint book from Action 1

I listed a number of things that Superman #1 has going for it content-wise in an earlier post:

Agreed, as it`s hard to beat the first appearance of both Joker and the Catwoman.

I would posit that the book would have the same or near the same value and be just as sought if there was no Joker first appearance in it (don't care at all about Catwoman anyway), and it was basically a collection of reprints (like Supes 1) from earlier Tecs, along with the reprinted origin from Tec 33 that's already in there, with maybe that last Pre Robin story thrown in there at the end for a little something new. (thumbs u

-J.

I would posit that the book would have the same or near the same value and be just as sought if there was no Joker first appearance in it (don't care at all about Catwoman anyway), and it was basically a collection of reprints (like Supes 1) from earlier Tecs, along with the reprinted origin from Tec 33 that's already in there, with maybe that last Pre Robin story thrown in there at the end for a little something new. (thumbs u

-J.

Hence the reason why I feel it stands to have some major room for growth.

Many of the collectors who can afford a copy of Batman #1 came before the Heath Ledger generation. The Joker of old was iconic to be sure, but the character has seen a considerable amount of development over the past decade -- both in respects to psychological development and popularity.

So I agree, many people would still treasure Batman #1 even without the vast amount of quality content that serves to make it incredibly relevant today. As the Heath Ledger generation continues to come of age, get older and gather increased spending power, it stands to reason that collectors will have a greater depth of motivation behind acquiring this iconic issue.

-J.

Many of the collectors who can afford a copy of Batman #1 came before the Heath Ledger generation. The Joker of old was iconic to be sure, but the character has seen a considerable amount of development over the past decade -- both in respects to psychological development and popularity.

So I agree, many people would still treasure Batman #1 even without the vast amount of quality content that serves to make it incredibly relevant today. As the Heath Ledger generation continues to come of age, get older and gather increased spending power, it stands to reason that collectors will have a greater depth of motivation behind acquiring this iconic issue.

-J.

The Joker's 1st appearance definitely makes the book for me. The Heath Ledger portrayal of him reminded me a bit of the Joker as presented in The Killing Joke. I would say that storyline represented more of a pivot point for his character development toward what we see today.

-J.

The Joker's 1st appearance definitely makes the book for me. The Heath Ledger portrayal of him reminded me a bit of the Joker as presented in The Killing Joke. I would say that storyline represented more of a pivot point for his character development toward what we see today.

-J.

The Killing Joke helped make Tim Burton's Batman possible. Nicholson nailed the role and Heath Ledger took it to another level. The Joker is as popular today as he ever has been, and that makes this issue that much cooler.

I love this book!
Bill loves it more lol. In fact, I think of Bill everytime I see a Bat 1. :insane:

And I get all warm and fuzzy everytime I see a Batman #1

The Joker as a character is disturbingly insane:

he seems to be a strange mix of: oldstyle missisippi riverboat gambler, psychopath, sociopath, transvestite, schizophrenic, terrorist, anarchist, anti-christ.

:banana:

I guess that why the Joker across decades seem to excercise a certain magnetism so that creative heads (like Nolan) keep returning back to him ... (shrug)

I love this book!
Bill loves it more lol. In fact, I think of Bill everytime I see a Bat 1. :insane:

I soo too actually! Everytime I look at my copy, I always wonder of Bill is looking at his copy too. Would be awesome if Joker was placed on the cover of Bat 1.. I wonder how it would look if he was in it.

Could someone possibly post this first glimpse of the clown prince of crime.
I'll do better. Here's my Joker/ Bat 1 splash recreation painting by our very own Ryan Heshka. This would have made a great Bat 1 cover--first joker app and on the FC--perhaps Bat 1 would be worth a bit more today? I think demand would be even higher.

D25A01FA-BF37-4DDE-BB31-E8472449D5AC-2944-000001F2A6C2F591_zps3c2aac26.jpg

Here's the original splash on the first joker story on bat 1

DB1FBFE8-A793-4C03-9A2D-317CAFA40AD2-302-000000544D693C3B_zps4fa4ba31.jpg

Sparkle City currently has a Universal CGC .5 copy of Batman #1 up for auction.

LINK

It will be interesting to see how much this entry-level copy goes for.

Batman1_zpsf5554947.jpg

8-10K? last 0.5 incomplete GPA sale was north of $7.5...I don't know what that book looked like though or what it was missing...just a guess...sparklecity seems to get get pretty good action on their bids so only time will tell...who knows I might be short with that guesstimate (shrug) I think 8 would be a fair price though for both buyer and seller

8-10K? last 0.5 incomplete GPA sale was north of $7.5...I don't know what that book looked like though or what it was missing...just a guess...sparklecity seems to get get pretty good action on their bids so only time will tell...who knows I might be short with that guesstimate (shrug) I think 8 would be a fair price though for both buyer and seller

Well, a coverless copy missing the entire first wrap, with brittle pages sold at auction a few months back for $5,923. This copy has everything except the back cover, with cream to off-white pages. 8-10K wouldn't be out of line at all. I wouldn't be shocked to see it exceed that.

Well, a coverless copy missing the entire first wrap, with brittle pages sold at auction a few months back for $5,923. This copy has everything except the back cover, with cream to off-white pages. 8-10K wouldn't be out of line at all. I wouldn't be shocked to see it exceed that.

I agree actually... it's so hard to predict with these lower grade entry level major keys bc the supply demand thing...this book besides the tape presents pretty nicely given the grade IMHO so I would say your prolly right and we all know is all it takes is two dogs in that fight and this book will maximize it's potential!! I did see a 1.5 sell for almost 19K so what are we thinking for this book about 14-15K a point? where is Bill...that man seems to have done his homework on Bats #1 I am sure his insight would be helpful as well