• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any further info on Daredevil Netflix show?
6 6

2,037 posts in this topic

if you want to nit pick something, concentrate on Karen (who looks like Olive O from the Robin Williams Popeye Movie). The costume works fine

Really? I thought Karen was great. Decent acting and just... :luhv:

I had a harder time embracing Vincent D'onofrio's Kingpin with his gravely "I'm Christian Bale as Batman" voice.

I think I'm on episode 7 or 8. Not sure. watching them in pairs. Have to agree about Donofrio's Kingpin. Too much struggle when he speaks. The girl who plays Karen is giving me fits. In one shot she is very attractive. In others, she looks like a heroin addict. (shrug)

The guy at the end of the Stick episode. Is he the blind martial arts guy from Iron Fist? I can't think of his name.

That's what my husband said, he thinks they fix her up in some episodes and not in others. She just looks like a generic tall thin blonde to me. I keep focussing on the mole on her face and wonder if she should have it looked at.

I love D'onofrio's performance, it's nuanced and I think Vanessa is perfectly evil...but our favorite was Wesley. He could be Loki's evil twin.

I binge watched this over the weekend and have a couple thoughts.

1. If this had been a weekly show i would have dropped it after the second or third episode.

2. I did not like the king pin nor the actors portrayal of him. Every line of dialogue about "the city" reminded me of arrow instead of focusing my attention on Fisk.

3. I loved the sloppiness of the fight scenes. The fights felt grounded and plausible (more so than the one pu ch instant ko) i like that the thugs got back up!

4. The actor that played daredevil took some warming up to when not in costume.

5. Loved Foggy.

6. By the end I enjoyed it and would like to see a second season, the beginning was rough though.

7. This is the kind of universe building the punisher could succeed in.

I haven't seen Arrow, but otherwise these were my sentiments as well. I'm only 5 episodes in, and will finish out the season, but I'm pretty picky about TV shows I watch, and only watch them on Netflix or via DVD/Blueray binge watching. There have been plenty of "good" shows I only got through the first 3 or 6 episodes of before losing interest - like House of Cards or Sherlock. I didn't think they were a waste of time, but there are too many other choices to dedicate myself to keeping up. D'Onofrio's Kingpin is a bit of a disappointment, he's not really menacing enough when he needs to be, and the whole courtship of Vanessa feels clumsy and poorly written.

I feel like Kingpin is on the autistic spectrum perhaps Aspergers...

if you want to nit pick something, concentrate on Karen (who looks like Olive O from the Robin Williams Popeye Movie). The costume works fine

I had a harder time embracing Vincent D'onofrio's Kingpin with his gravely "I'm Christian Bale as Batman" voice.

I think I'm on episode 7 or 8. Not sure. watching them in pairs. Have to agree about Donofrio's Kingpin. Too much struggle when he speaks. The girl who plays Karen is giving me fits. In one shot she is very attractive. In others, she looks like a heroin addict. (shrug)

The guy at the end of the Stick episode. Is he the blind martial arts guy from Iron Fist? I can't think of his name.

That's what my husband said, he thinks they fix her up in some episodes and not in others. She just looks like a generic tall thin blonde to me. I keep focussing on the mole on her face and wonder if she should have it looked at.

Not to mention the small trail of them down her neck. Will this Vanessa get the white streak or not?

Edited by kdoginohio

I binge watched this over the weekend and have a couple thoughts.

1. If this had been a weekly show i would have dropped it after the second or third episode.

2. I did not like the king pin nor the actors portrayal of him. Every line of dialogue about "the city" reminded me of arrow instead of focusing my attention on Fisk.

3. I loved the sloppiness of the fight scenes. The fights felt grounded and plausible (more so than the one pu ch instant ko) i like that the thugs got back up!

4. The actor that played daredevil took some warming up to when not in costume.

5. Loved Foggy.

6. By the end I enjoyed it and would like to see a second season, the beginning was rough though.

7. This is the kind of universe building the punisher could succeed in.

I haven't seen Arrow, but otherwise these were my sentiments as well. I'm only 5 episodes in, and will finish out the season, but I'm pretty picky about TV shows I watch, and only watch them on Netflix or via DVD/Blueray binge watching. There have been plenty of "good" shows I only got through the first 3 or 6 episodes of before losing interest - like House of Cards or Sherlock. I didn't think they were a waste of time, but there are too many other choices to dedicate myself to keeping up. D'Onofrio's Kingpin is a bit of a disappointment, he's not really menacing enough when he needs to be, and the whole courtship of Vanessa feels clumsy and poorly written.

I feel like Kingpin is on the autistic spectrum perhaps Aspergers...

D'Onofrio is certainly playing him as having some sort of mental/anxiety disorder at the least, if not several; avoidant or anti-social personality disorder, mild OCD, narcissism, PTSD from childhood trauma, anger management, etc. I expect the Kingpin to be pathological and have a grandiose image of himself, but the show lays it all on a little thick.

A child screwed up by his father who ended up killing his father and having his mother help him get away with it. Also, from the environment depicted, a not so educated child with little but a Hell's Kitchen upbringing. This is a child with issues...major issues. And seemingly on his own aside from his mother's support.

Having reached a grown man he has incorporated his Hell's Kitchen upbringing fueled by the complexities of his father's political ambitions, cruelty and ultimate murder. My gawd how mucked up is that? And how much would it affect someone?

D'Onfrio's Fisk (not yet Kingpin) was amazing in portraying this. Probably less than well educated. Having to seek out words and concepts when in a social setting. Realizing and expressing affection for a woman. Yet incredibly violent in other settings. I could really feel D'Onfrio projecting this internal struggle. He brought the real Marvel ideology of a troubled character.

Everyone else: Murdock, Foggy, Karen etc (although she deviated quite a bit form the original SA Karen) were excellent. Especially the Matt/Foggy interaction. As I said, this show was outstanding. But to me D'Onfrio's performance was a true standout.

Scene from a casting call.

Producer: Can you tell me about past projects?

Young Actor: Yes, I had a major role on Netflix's Daredevil.

Producer: That's awesome. What role did you have?

Young Actor: Black Sky. The kid chained in container.

Producer: Thank you. Next!

when they want to make her look scared, vulnerable, or beat up, they just dont put make up on her, and she is all freckles, moles, etc. Then when she is supposed to look good, she has full make up. They basically use the camrea+no make up vs proper film make up to effect her appearance as needed.

Just finished episode #6. This show rocks! Gritty and real enough to appeal to a mass audience and keep to the source material at the same time. Love that they did this on Netflix! Looking forward to the rest of season 1.

Producer: I'll give you the role if you can explain what exactly the *spoon* you are supposed to be!

Fixed!

The show is really good, and certainly an achievement for Netflix. However, as mentioned previously, the biggest standout are the fight scenes. They are better than anything I can remember seeing on TV and most movies.

Producer: I'll give you the role if you can explain what exactly the *spoon* you are supposed to be!

Fixed!

:D

So, can someone tell which Kingpin was the nemesis of Spider-Man? I know there are countless Earths in the Marvel universe. Was there some great alignment where only DD gets to deal with him?

In the Marvel Universe, heroes have always shared villains with some primarily belonging to one hero. For example, Dr. Octopus is primarily a Spidey villain, but he has crossed paths with The Avengers.

In Frank Miller's run, he made Kingpin a much more compelling Daredevil villain. Spidey still encounters him, but Kingpin has slowly become Daredevil's nemesis.