• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paul Rudd is Ant-Man
1 1

1,296 posts in this topic

I liked the film but it could have been tweaked with just a bit more depth of plot and it would have logarithmically increased the quality of the story. It's like it was banging on all cylinders but not really driving any where. Plot was too linear-no merging of two separate plot lines or something like that which makes a more complex interesting plot. (As in for example Silence of the Lambs). Overall good. Should they have called Kav to get some final -script advice to push it over the edge? Yes.

Just came back from a near-empty Imax 3D showing at my local cinema. Took my daughter and we both went in without any particular expectations.

Both of us thought the movie was ok - it wasn't fantastic, it wasn't terrible, it had a handful of funny moments (which were basically Paul Rudd being Paul Rudd and the sidekicks), but it seemed like it took too long to really get going. The action sequences were great, the story was so-so. The people who compare this to GoTG are smoking crack - those two movies aren't in the same league at all.

I agree with this 100%, and I've been feeling guilty for not walking out of there feeling the same way I did after Winter Soldier or GOTG.

Unlike many, I was thrilled by Iron Man 3, Thor the Dark World and AoU, even though they weren't the highest quality films - this was the opposite for me. I though it was a very well done film, but it didn't thrill me (with the exception of some key moments...)

The Wasp's surprise appearance;

The "Tales the Astonish" line;

The fight with the Falcon;

The VERY Paul Rudd-esque comedy scenes;

The Microverse's brief and trippy appearance.

I agree with your spoilers. Loved em.

I also thought...

When the Microverse scene happened it started to look like a realm that Dr Strange would visit. I almost expected (was hoping for) a tie in with Dr Strange, like maybe they would show the Eye of Amagotto opening up and looking at Antman before he grew large again.

Edited by gadzukes

Early Weekend Estimates: Marvel's 'Ant-Man' Modest at $57.5M

Disney reports that Ant-Man bowed to $22.64 million on Friday, not terribly far behind the expected range heading into the weekend. Still, that represents the second lowest opening day in Marvel's Cinematic Universe, leading only 2008's The Incredible Hulk ($21.5 million) and falling about 12 percent short of 2011's Captain America: The First Avenger ($25.7 million), which was the last Marvel pic to open in mid-to-late July. Despite tempered enthusiasm heading into release, early word of mouth appears generally positive with a 92 percent Flixster score (although that is comparable to Avengers: Age of Ultron's 90 percent) after an 80 percent Rotten Tomatoes critics' score. In short, it remains to be seen what kind of legs we can expect from Ant-Man at this point. BoxOffice is projecting a $57.5 million opening weekend.

Come on people... Did anyone actually think Antman would do better at the box office than any of the other heroes.

If you were to line up all the heroes and say, "We're going to make a movie of each Marvel hero. Pick the order of success." I believe everyone would pick Antman to come in dead last, even lower than the Hulk.

I think this movie will do fine for who/what it is. Bottom line.... this movie will make money and continue Marvel's streak of successful movies. I believe the budget for this movie was lower than any other Marvel movie so far, which means it doesn't even have to make as much to be a success.

It's also set up a nice anticipation for the Wasp, and for Antman/Wasp integration into the larger Marvel universe.

Come on people... Did anyone actually think Antman would do better at the box office than any of the other heroes.

If you were to line up all the heroes and say, "We're going to make a movie of each Marvel hero. Pick the order of success." I believe everyone would pick Antman to come in dead last, even lower than the Hulk.

I think this movie will do fine for who/what it is. Bottom line.... this movie will make money and continue Marvel's streak of successful movies. I believe the budget for this movie was lower than any other Marvel movie so far, which means it doesn't even have to make as much to be a success.

It's also set up a nice anticipation for the Wasp, and for Antman/Wasp integration into the larger Marvel universe.

Lowest budget yet. Even lower than 2008 Iron Man, which in 2015 dollars would have been $155.2 MM.

7lVhDzQ.png

Disney reports that Ant-Man bowed to $22.64 million on Friday, not terribly far behind the expected range heading into the weekend. Still, that represents the second lowest opening day in Marvel's Cinematic Universe, leading only 2008's The Incredible Hulk ($21.5 million) and falling about 12 percent short of 2011's Captain America: The First Avenger ($25.7 million), which was the last Marvel pic to open in mid-to-late July. Despite tempered enthusiasm heading into release, early word of mouth appears generally positive with a 92 percent Flixster score (although that is comparable to Avengers: Age of Ultron's 90 percent) after an 80 percent Rotten Tomatoes critics' score. In short, it remains to be seen what kind of legs we can expect from Ant-Man at this point. BoxOffice is projecting a $57.5 million opening weekend.

did anyone actually think GOTG would do bigger box office than any Captain America or Thor or Hulk or Fantastic Four or X-Men movie?

If the goal is too make money, and they have been making a ton of money why make this movie instead of something else that would have made them equal money to those movies.

They may have not spent a lot on this, but I'm sure their internal expectations were better than Hulk.

Just came back from Ant-Man.

Pros

It was awesome! Fun,Fun and Fun!

if you`re looking for a Daredevil or Captain America: Winter Soldier dark and gritty experience, than this movie is not for you.

This is a family movie.

A comedy and a adventure which makes it work. Not the same old we got to save the world from being blown up storyline.

Scott Lang is very likeable, and Hank Pym is much more interesting than the comic book version.

Cons.

I doubt we will see a trilogy like with Iron Man,Thor and Captain America because I don`t see this doing big box office. :(

So in conclusion it was worth the $9.75 I paid for it.

Also wasn`t long. Fast-paced.

I stated four months ago that I thought it would do Thor I numbers ($180 domestic / $450 ww).

I stand by that because outside of hardcore comics fan Thor was just as unknown & frankly -- hard to do a good movie of. Even $160/$400 would be a success for Ant Man.

Incredible Hulk numbers are fine considering how better known and more popular Hulk is, both among comics fans (b-list to Ant-Man's c-list) and the general public (Hulk had a successful TV show, solo cartoon & the Ang Lee movie); Ant Man had nothing.

Edited by Gatsby77

The same thing will happen with Black Panther, MS. Marvel and all the non-Batman/Superman DC heroes.

They won`t do big box office like Avengers,Batman and X-Men.

They are all minor heroes with mainstream. :o

I`m just happy we`re getting Doctor Strange and Shazam movies.

To think they will do Iron Man or Batman numbers is baffling.

GOTG was an anomaly. It had the perfect storm.

The same thing will happen with Black Panther, MS. Marvel and all the non-Batman/Superman DC heroes.

I`m just happy we`re getting Doctor Strange and Shazam movies.

To think they will do Iron Man or Batman numbers is baffling.

GOTG was an anomaly. It had the perfect storm.

+1

I disagree on this point. But only because the general public knows most of these characters in advance.

• March 25, 2016 – Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice
  • August 5, 2016 – Suicide Squad (directed by David Ayers)

• June 23, 2017 – Wonder Woman
  • November 17, 2017 - Justice League, Part One

• March 23, 2018 – The Flash (starring Ezra Miller)
  • July 27, 2018 – Aquaman (starring Jason Mamoa)

• April 5, 2019 – Shazam (starring Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson)
  • June 14, 2019 – Justice League, Part Two

• April 3, 2020 – Cyborg (starring Ray Fisher)
  • June 19, 2020 – Green Lantern Corps

Where the individual Marvel movies led to the overarching prize (Avengers), DC/Warner has spread the small team or individual character movies out over time mixed in with the big team movies. This may have not been its plan, but this could work to its favor.

1) The non-traditional characters get introduced before their individual movies in a larger setting.

2) With characters like Aquaman, The Flash and Green Lantern (and even Shazam when you consider how long he has been used in TV live and animated productions), they have been used many times in animated TV and direct-to-video successful productions.

The only character that may be a new experience for the general audience out there is Cyborg. That's the one I would be concerned with having a standalone production.

I disagree on this point. But only because the general public knows most of these characters in advance.

Where the individual Marvel movies led to the overarching prize (Avengers), DC/Warner has spread the small team or individual character movies out over time mixed in with the big team movies. This may have not been its plan, but this could work to its favor.

1) The non-traditional characters get introduced before their individual movies in a larger setting.

2) With characters like Aquaman, The Flash and Green Lantern (and even Shazam when you consider how long he has been used in TV live and animated productions), they have been used many times in animated TV and direct-to-video successful productions.

The only character that may be a new experience for the general audience out there is Cyborg. That's the one I would be concerned with having a standalone production.

Well, it should be interesting.

I want them all to do well.

I just don`t think mainstream can support all the super hero movies at the box office.

Too many of them.

Could be done though if they space them out far enough.

As long as they make the Shazam and Doctor Strange movies I`ll be happy.

:)

Cyborg is nothing new for the youth and young adult audience - he was a primary member of the popular Teen Titans TV show for years.

Cyborg is nothing new for the youth and young adult audience - he was a primary member of the popular Teen Titans TV show for years.

The new Terminator movie about Cyborgs is having a hard time breaking 100 million domestic, so why would Cyborg break 100 million?

The Terminator franchise is much more well know than DC`s Cyborg.

We keep hearing about the Flash. The Flash would have been cancelled on NBC,ABC and CBS do to low ratings.

Like I said I want them all do well, but they do not have the recognition like Batman or Superman to do big box office.

Ant-Man is now the proof.

Fair enough. I'll go with this.

TeenTitansTogether.png

And my sons' friends all love the Teen Titans GO series, and collect the figures. So even the elementary school crowd know who these characters are.

Teen_Titans_chibi_dancing.gif

We'll see if those same audience members can relate to a live production of this character. Since he will be integrated into the earlier movies, maybe it isn't too much of a stretch.

Fair enough. I'll go with this.

TeenTitansTogether.png

And my sons' friends all love the Teen Titans GO series, and collect the figures. So even the elementary school crowd know who these characters are.

Teen_Titans_chibi_dancing.gif

We'll see if those same audience members can relate to a live production of this character. Since he will be integrated into the earlier movies, maybe it isn't too much of a stretch.

...and Cyborg didn't gut-punch Bill Paxton to death in an R-rated movie either. A lot of kids are aware of the Terminator, but mainly through Arnold Schwarzenegger's (wow, I can still spell it) likeness and probably not sitting through one of the violent movies.