• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paul Rudd is Ant-Man
1 1

1,296 posts in this topic

I just read this and had no idea. But here's the reason why a seemingly unlikely cameo occurred:

Garrett Morris on any screen:

lol I know of the SNL skit in fact I posted a few years ago on the boards, but when I saw Garett Morris did not make the connection at all. I doubt very few people if any made the connection. Brilliant

Man I can't stand the closes mindedness of people not giving this movie a chance and it not doing great at the box office...
$58 million isn't too shabby, considering it could have done worse. When I get drunk enough, this movie actually starts to look pretty good, like it's director. (:

Took my three sons to see it yesterday. They had a blast. Giant ants are cool, stuff getting shrunk is cool, gigantic Thomas the Tank Engine...they loved it all (and asked for the Lego set afterward).

After having a day to think about it, I think the creatives did an admirable job. Was it perfect? No. Pacing problems? A wee bit. Character problems? A smidgen. Were there plot holes? Yeah, sure.

But I forgave all that stuff because the last act is just fantastic. When they get going on the heist, it's all rock and roll, baby!

So now it's all in how well it holds up.

I think Ant-Man could hold fairly well next week (vs. Pixels), but it will likely drop like a stone against Mission Impossible 5, Vacation, and (the following week) Fantastic Four.

Will the possibility of $150 million / 300 million worldwide hurt plans for Black Panther or the other lesser Marvel movies? Or potentially endanger new big-screen outings for the Hulk, Punisher or Daredevil?

2015 still has a number of movies to go that can be serious distractors to any comic book productions. Including the much anticipated James Bond 24 before we even get to the new Star Wars movie. Plus a few of these could be 'Jurassic World' surprises, as I didn't even see that movie coming like it did.

• July 17, 2015 – Ant-Man
  • July 31, 2015 – Mission Impossible 5
  • August 7, 2015 – Fantastic Four
  • August 7, 2015 – Poltergeist (2015)
  • August 14, 2015 – The Man From U.N.C.L.E.
  • August 28, 2015 – Hitman: Agent 47
  • September 18, 2015 – Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials
  • September 25, 2015 – Hotel Transylvania 2
  • October 2, 2015 – The Martian (Fox)
  • October 9, 2015 – The Jungle Book (Disney)
  • October 16, 2015 – Bridge of Spies (DreamWorks/Disney)
  • October 16, 2015 – Goosebumps
  • November 6, 2015 – Spectre (Bond 24)
  • November 6, 2015 – Peanuts
  • November 13, 2015 – Friday the 13th (2015)
  • November 20, 2015 – The Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 2
  • November 25, 2015 – The Good Dinosaur (Pixar)
  • November 25, 2015 – Victor Frankenstein (2015)
  • December 18, 2015 – Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Lucasfilm/Disney)
  • December 18, 2015 – Point Break (2015)
  • December 18, 2015 – Snowden

Edited by Bosco685

So, Ant-Man's numbers domestically are probably going to fall between Thor ($65 million opening; $181 million finish) and Fantastic Four ($56 million opening; $154 million finish.) Hopefully it avoids the Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer ($58 million opening; $131 million finish) trajectory. Pixels success next week could be the deciding factor.

'Pixels' taps into vintage Chris Columbus

There are more throwback aspects at play in the video-game comedy Pixels than just Pac-Man and Peter Dinklage's epic mullet.

Even though the new Chris Columbus movie (in theaters Friday) takes place now, it's an homage to the 1980s screenplays he wrote for Gremlins, The Goonies and other fare from Steven Spielberg's Amblin Entertainment company when his career was just starting.

This sounds like the near-term road hazard for Ant-Man.

August 7, 2015 – Poltergeist (2015)

I thought Poltergeist already opened to middling numbers and you underestimate the die-hard group of Chipmunk fans that make these movies hits :taptaptap:.

You think the Chipmunks movie on 12/23/2015 is going to do well against Star Wars?

Edited by rjrjr

I thought Poltergeist already opened to middling numbers and you underestimate the die-hard group of Chipmunk fans that make these movies hits :taptaptap:.

That's the one I meant to pull off the list when I included updates a few days ago. The original release date changed, and most probably to the studio's regret.

:eek:

Saw it tonight in a packed cinema with the wife and we both thought it was great - there are some moments of pure genius in there.

I agree. I really liked it. Scott Lang is the most likeable human in the Marvel Universe.

It seems like he was going to be a bigger player,but now Marvel got Spidey back things have changed.

I enjoyed Ant-Man much more than the last three Spider-Man movies.

Also Ant-Man reminded me of Iron Man 1 because of Ant-Man trying to learn his cool new powers.

Took my three sons to see it yesterday. They had a blast. Giant ants are cool, stuff getting shrunk is cool, gigantic Thomas the Tank Engine...they loved it all (and asked for the Lego set afterward).

After having a day to think about it, I think the creatives did an admirable job. Was it perfect? No. Pacing problems? A wee bit. Character problems? A smidgen. Were there plot holes? Yeah, sure.

But I forgave all that stuff because the last act is just fantastic. When they get going on the heist, it's all rock and roll, baby!

With Thomas the Tank Engine the crowd erupted in laughter.

You think the Chipmunks movie on 12/23/2015 is going to do well against Star Wars?

:jokealert:

Saw it tonight in a packed cinema with the wife and we both thought it was great - there are some moments of pure genius in there.

I agree. I really liked it. Scott Lang is the most likeable human in the Marvel Universe.

It seems like he was going to be a bigger player,but now Marvel got Spidey back things have changed.

I enjoyed Ant-Man much more than the last three Spider-Man movies.

Also Ant-Man reminded me of Iron Man 1 because of Ant-Man trying to learn his cool new powers.

Yep, absolutely.

With Thomas the Tank Engine the crowd erupted in laughter.

Same tonight.