• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paul Rudd is Ant-Man
1 1

1,296 posts in this topic

Ant-Man's somewhat disappointing B.O. MIGHT be a result of people not being all that hot for the MCU after Avengers: AOU................

I agree, AoU was a buzz kill. There were a lot of empty seats on Friday. My sister went on to see it on Saturday and she noticed the same thing (she also found the movie a little boring). But as a marvel fan - I have to see the movie. Fortunately, I walked into the theaters with ridiculously low expectation and ended up enjoying the film

I hardly watched any clips or trailers beforehand like I normally do so I didn't know a lot of what was coming. Absolutely loved this film and so did my nephew, girlfriend, and her brother. One thing irritated me:

Why put Hydra in as a buyer rather than use it as a segway to introduce some other big group/organization into the MCU? Haven't we seen enough of them?.

41VmzAnovPL._SY300_.jpg

Ant-Man's somewhat disappointing B.O. MIGHT be a result of people not being all that hot for the MCU after Avengers: AOU................

I agree, AoU was a buzz kill. There were a lot of empty seats on Friday. My sister went on to see it on Saturday and she noticed the same thing (she also found the movie a little boring). But as a marvel fan - I have to see the movie. Fortunately, I walked into the theaters with ridiculously low expectation and ended up enjoying the film

+1. I think movie-goers are "Marveled out" -- notice I didn't say "comic booked out." There's a lot of anticipation for the DC movies because DC has very few characters out there on the big screen. OTOH, what Marvel has done between 2009 (Iron Man) through 2015 (Ant-Man) has been spectacular, but all their big name characters (that they control) have been rolled out, with multiple sequels, x-overs, etc. Marvel needs something big to get audiences really excited and that's going to be the Marvel Studios-treatment of Spider-Man.

Saw this at the weekend, Got to agree with the sentiment here...

It's very good.

I really liked it.

Immeasurably better than AoU, and def had the sense of fun that made Iron Man 1 so good.

Paul Rudd was excellent as was that girl from Lost, and I surprisingly really liked Michael Douglas as well - the de-ageing of him was exceptional!!!!

Great effects with some proper laugh out loud moments, Thomas the Tank was inspired. Managed to fit in an origin, a proper villain, great action and even some family peril.

Yea, well done to all involved.

Just saw it last night. Solid movie. I don't think it's the best Marvel. Prob Top 10 Just thought the story was VERY predictable. More so than other Marvel films. Great acting from everyone in the film. Comedic moments at the right time.

I saw it with my wife and daughter yesterday and thought it was a charming movie overall. Pluses included the acting from the three leads, the end credit scene, and the humor..."Baskin Robbins always finds out", etc.! I also liked the MCU tie-ins and the rationale for why the Pym science has been kept under wraps until now. Effects were mostly very good, making the action fun.

Downsides -- I thought the opening sequence was a bit clunky from an expositional standpoint and thought that Yellowjacket going to Lang's house for the final conflict was a completely manipulated plot point. Lots of little threads that didn't tie in to the movie's arc very well...villian had a solid motive but was mostly generic.

Overall, I'd grade the movie a B and am happy to have it as part of the MCU. More important for me is that my daughter likes the Marvel movies a lot because she thinks they are hilarious (Thomas the Tank Engine).

Dan

I hardly watched any clips or trailers beforehand like I normally do so I didn't know a lot of what was coming. Absolutely loved this film and so did my nephew, girlfriend, and her brother. One thing irritated me:

Why put Hydra in as a buyer rather than use it as a segway to introduce some other big group/organization into the MCU? Haven't we seen enough of them?.

Agreed. They should have done Oscorp instead. How cool would that have been? :popcorn:

That's because:

Hydra has already been set up as the "big bad" in the MCU. They didn't need to explain anything, or set up any new organization, they had an evil entity that amped up the danger of this tech getting in their hands. It was quick and clean and didn't slow the narrative fixing something that wasn't broken.

Also, Oscorp is in the Spider-verse. I am not sure if the deal with sony allows them to use anything from that world.

But part of the tech got out anyway. The ex-shield guy that Pym punched in the face in the beginning ran off with Cross' version of the formula and got away clean. So we may see this tech used by bad guys in the future anyway.

Agree, that it was fairly self-contained. I thought it was entertaining -- had its fan moments.

Nowhere near GOTG. Better than IM3, HULKs... maybe on par with cap 1. I liked a lot of the easter eggs.

Tales to Astonish

Microverse was pretty cool, although he didn't stay long enough to see anything. I wonder if they hid something that flashed by quickly... saw a microscopic insect there.

Falcon fight was a cool touch. Good to see Ant Man could hang.

I wasn't hysterically laughing at the comedy of the hispanic guy, but then again I didn't find SPY terribly funny either (wife did).

Nice early and post wasp cameos.

Nice hints at Giant Man in future.... thought we'd see some here.

Girl at end mentions, we've seen crawling (spider) insects, jumping (batroc?), etcc.. why not shrinking?

2nd post tease was kind of interesting... guess they found winter soldier... but little explanation.

Pretty astonishing how young they made Michael douglas appear, and of course haley and stark. sr. were there in the early days.

I dug this one early on:

A nod to a solid Marvel Bullpen guy

set_ant_man_easter_eggs_milgrom_hotel.jpg

That's because:

Hydra has already been set up as the "big bad" in the MCU. They didn't need to explain anything, or set up any new organization, they had an evil entity that amped up the danger of this tech getting in their hands. It was quick and clean and didn't slow the narrative fixing something that wasn't broken.

Also, Oscorp is in the Spider-verse. I am not sure if the deal with sony allows them to use anything from that world.

But part of the tech got out anyway. The ex-shield guy that Pym punched in the face in the beginning ran off with Cross' version of the formula and got away clean. So we may see this tech used by bad guys in the future anyway.

But Hydra was outed in CA:TWS and they were cleaning them up between that and AoU. I realize there will always be groups of Hydra left, but they had already set them up in the first Cap, outed them in the second, and cleaned them up for the most part in AoU. We've seen them enough and I feel like it was a cop-out by Marvel to mention them just to further tie this into the Avengers world. Had they mentioned some other organization, it wouldn't need explaining in this film. They could either use it as a nod to comic fans by just name dropping it or they could've used it to setup another group in the MCU. I mean, this was the part that my reaction was like "Really? Hydra?"

And did I just miss them explaining HOW the suit worked? Not what it does, distance between atoms, etc., but how the particles were delivered to the wearer.

And if memory serves,

Hope told Darren that the particles were affecting his mind and "that wasn't him" when he was going to shoot Hank. But all this took place before he donned the Yellowjacket suit.

And if memory serves,

Hope told Darren that the particles were affecting his mind and "that wasn't him" when he was going to shoot Hank. But all this took place before he donned the Yellowjacket suit.

before he donned it in front of the audience, but after he succeeds in his experiment. We dont see any of the things that happen between the goat shrink and the house, for Darren. Also, given that Hank held it from him, it makes since he wouldnt try to harm him until he had succeeded himself.

As far as the shrinking effecting his mind, he was very unstable just from the rejections in his life prior to any suit wearing, so assuming he would have tried it immediately upon success (not on screen), it chronologically fits and could amplify his existing psychosis to the point of murder.

That's because:

But Hydra was outed in CA:TWS and they were cleaning them up between that and AoU. I realize there will always be groups of Hydra left, but they had already set them up in the first Cap, outed them in the second, and cleaned them up for the most part in AoU. We've seen them enough and I feel like it was a cop-out by Marvel to mention them just to further tie this into the Avengers world. Had they mentioned some other organization, it wouldn't need explaining in this film. They could either use it as a nod to comic fans by just name dropping it or they could've used it to setup another group in the MCU. I mean, this was the part that my reaction was like "Really? Hydra?"

And did I just miss them explaining HOW the suit worked? Not what it does, distance between atoms, etc., but how the particles were delivered to the wearer.

And if memory serves,

I think he had already been wearing the suit and that's how he got into Hank's house. There was definitely some odd implied offscreen movement going on.

I don't think the performance of Ant-Man will do anything to the rest of the films. The storyline is in place, and they're going to finance everything based on everything.

We'll see everything they have scheduled so far...nothing will get canceled.

This

Agree, that it was fairly self-contained. I thought it was entertaining -- had its fan moments.

Nowhere near GOTG. Better than IM3, HULKs... maybe on par with cap 1. I liked a lot of the easter eggs.

Tales to Astonish

Microverse was pretty cool, although he didn't stay long enough to see anything. I wonder if they hid something that flashed by quickly... saw a microscopic insect there.

Falcon fight was a cool touch. Good to see Ant Man could hang.

I wasn't hysterically laughing at the comedy of the hispanic guy, but then again I didn't find SPY terribly funny either (wife did).

Nice early and post wasp cameos.

Nice hints at Giant Man in future.... thought we'd see some here.

Girl at end mentions, we've seen crawling (spider) insects, jumping (batroc?), etcc.. why not shrinking?

2nd post tease was kind of interesting... guess they found winter soldier... but little explanation.

Pretty astonishing how young they made Michael douglas appear, and of course haley and stark. sr. were there in the early days.

I dug this one early on:

A nod to a solid Marvel Bullpen guy

set_ant_man_easter_eggs_milgrom_hotel.jpg

That was very cool.

+1. I think movie-goers are "Marveled out" -- notice I didn't say "comic booked out." There's a lot of anticipation for the DC movies because DC has very few characters out there on the big screen. OTOH, what Marvel has done between 2009 (Iron Man) through 2015 (Ant-Man) has been spectacular, but all their big name characters (that they control) have been rolled out, with multiple sequels, x-overs, etc. Marvel needs something big to get audiences really excited and that's going to be the Marvel Studios-treatment of Spider-Man.

I don't think most people care about Marvel putting a Spider-Man movie out or not. Just the comic fans. In fact, yet another actor as Spider-Man in under 14 years will probably turn off the average movie goer IMHO.

Saw this at the weekend, Got to agree with the sentiment here...

It's very good.

I really liked it.

Immeasurably better than AoU, and def had the sense of fun that made Iron Man 1 so good.

Paul Rudd was excellent as was that girl from Lost, and I surprisingly really liked Michael Douglas as well - the de-ageing of him was exceptional!!!!

Great effects with some proper laugh out loud moments, Thomas the Tank was inspired. Managed to fit in an origin, a proper villain, great action and even some family peril.

Yea, well done to all involved.

My sentiments exactly. Loved the movie

the part where Cross turned that guy into a blob of goo and then again the lamb

There was only one part I felt uncomfortable letting my seven year old watch...was surprised The Mouse let that through

Edited by comicalgems