• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paul Rudd is Ant-Man
1 1

1,296 posts in this topic

So now it's all in how well it holds up.

I think Ant-Man could hold fairly well next week (vs. Pixels), but it will likely drop like a stone against Mission Impossible 5, Vacation, and (the following week) Fantastic Four.

Will the possibility of $150 million / 300 million worldwide hurt plans for Black Panther or the other lesser Marvel movies? Or potentially endanger new big-screen outings for the Hulk, Punisher or Daredevil?

there's no possibility it only does $300MM WW; unless you meant $150MM US + $300MM int'l which seems like where's it's headed.

August 7, 2015 – Poltergeist (2015)

I thought Poltergeist already opened to middling numbers and you underestimate the die-hard group of Chipmunk fans that make these movies hits :taptaptap:.

That's the one I meant to pull off the list when I included updates a few days ago. The original release date changed, and most probably to the studio's regret.

:eek:

(thumbs u

I think Ant-Man could hold fairly well next week (vs. Pixels), but it will likely drop like a stone against Mission Impossible 5, Vacation, and (the following week) Fantastic Four.

Will the possibility of $150 million / 300 million worldwide hurt plans for Black Panther or the other lesser Marvel movies? Or potentially endanger new big-screen outings for the Hulk, Punisher or Daredevil?

there's no possibility it only does $300MM WW; unless you meant $150MM US + $300MM int'l which seems like where's it's headed.

Depends -- International take so far is below the U.S. domestic (at $56.5 million), so that's entirely contingent on which international territories it's opened in, & I don't know.

Forbes' Scott Medelsohn is now predicting it will track a la Thor 1 (which I had called 4 months ago) and finish with $156 million domestic / $390 million total (ww). I think the total international haul may be significantly less than $390.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/07/19/box-office-ant-man-opens-with-tiny-58m-weekend/

Interestingly, it's actually done worse than Hulk -- when adjusted for inflation & 3-D prices, Hulk actually did the equivalent of $70 million its opening weekend in today's dollars.

I'm not trying to be a naysayer; rather, my concern is how it effects the slate of potential unannounced films for other lesser-known Marvel heroes.

If Ant-Man significantly under-performs expectations, Disney will have to a) reduce the budget for new films featuring more minor characters or b) delay and/or cancel them altogether.

It was great to see something read as a child come to life on the screen.He maybe a minor character in terms of Marvel but i can see a big future for one of my favorite little guys (thumbs u

Thor 1 had Chris Helmsworth in it. And though I liked the comedic one liners in Ant-man, I know of several women who paid to see Thor 1 on the big screen simply because Chris Helmsworth was in it. He could have been standing on screen for 2 hours browsing a lawn futniture catalog while sipping a cup of coffee and occasionally flexing his muscles, never uttering a word and those two would have been just as happy to have parted with their cash.

I asked them what the plot (of Thor) was about and they had absolutely no clue, but were simply giddy that they got to see Chirs Helmsworth being "beefcakey".

I don't think Paul Rudd is going to get that auxiliary boost in revenue from female fans.

I liked the movie. Saw it around noon today, so you can add another $9.50 to the total.

-Terry

Moviegoers might have started thinking they aren't getting enough heroes for their buck now after The Avengers. Look at Guardians, CA: The Winter Soldier, Big Hero 6 loading up on heroes. Just a thought. Haven't seen it yet, but I heard there was only one extra one from Winter Soldier in it.

Depends -- International take so far is below the U.S. domestic (at $56.5 million), so that's entirely contingent on which international territories it's opened in, & I don't know.

Forbes' Scott Medelsohn is now predicting it will track a la Thor 1 (which I had called 4 months ago) and finish with $156 million domestic / $390 million total (ww). I think the total international haul may be significantly less than $390.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2015/07/19/box-office-ant-man-opens-with-tiny-58m-weekend/

Interestingly, it's actually done worse than Hulk -- when adjusted for inflation & 3-D prices, Hulk actually did the equivalent of $70 million its opening weekend in today's dollars.

I'm not trying to be a naysayer; rather, my concern is how it effects the slate of potential unannounced films for other lesser-known Marvel heroes.

If Ant-Man significantly under-performs expectations, Disney will have to a) reduce the budget for new films featuring more minor characters or b) delay and/or cancel them altogether.

it's only opened in 1/2 the Int'l markets and is doing better than Cap 1 which did $195MM and bupkiss from China. i'll be the naysayer, i think already think a few movies on the in-production list will never see the light of day. shazam, black panther - wouldn't be shocked if those never get made.

it's only opened in 1/2 the Int'l markets and is doing better than Cap 1 which did $195MM and bupkiss from China. i'll be the naysayer, i think already think a few movies on the in-production list will never see the light of day. shazam, black panther - wouldn't be shocked if those never get made.

Shazam will get one kick at the cat due to the Rock being in it. Some of the other spin-off movies with lesser characters will likely not see the light of day, though, if the others "falter". I can see 2nd and 3rd tier characters being added to team movies anchored by the big guns, but as solo flicks it will be tougher.

That being said, as long as the movies are clearing $400M worldwide they will likely keep on being churned out. Even if the total production and marketing cost is $200M, there is plenty of $$$ to go around after the fact. FWIW, the timing for the release of Ant-Man was terrible - launching a 3rd tier property in the middle of summer vacation? They should have switched the AoU and Ant-Man release dates as an Avengers movie will do well no matter when it isreleased.

I don't think the performance of Ant-Man will do anything to the rest of the films. The storyline is in place, and they're going to finance everything based on everything.

We'll see everything they have scheduled so far...nothing will get canceled.

I'd be amazed if there wasn't an Ant-Man #2

What better vehicle to introduce Giant Man and The Wasp (properly, as in action)

And then add them to the Avengers roster.

Seems to be a sensible move (shrug)

Marvel is smart enough and savvy enough and their films successful enough up and down the food chain (theater, int'l dist, tie-in, licensing, cable, internet, dvd) that Ant-Man is basically already paid for in the deals signed long ago.

They also aren't silly in their expectations. The movie was expected to do around $60 million opening weekend given it's calendar slot, competition, and character set. It did just fine in comparison to their expectations.

The film will be profitable and sufficiently fit it and move along their global end game.

Early Weekend Estimates: Marvel's 'Ant-Man' Modest at $57.5M

Disney reports that Ant-Man bowed to $22.64 million on Friday, not terribly far behind the expected range heading into the weekend. Still, that represents the second lowest opening day in Marvel's Cinematic Universe, leading only 2008's The Incredible Hulk ($21.5 million) and falling about 12 percent short of 2011's Captain America: The First Avenger ($25.7 million), which was the last Marvel pic to open in mid-to-late July. Despite tempered enthusiasm heading into release, early word of mouth appears generally positive with a 92 percent Flixster score (although that is comparable to Avengers: Age of Ultron's 90 percent) after an 80 percent Rotten Tomatoes critics' score. In short, it remains to be seen what kind of legs we can expect from Ant-Man at this point. BoxOffice is projecting a $57.5 million opening weekend.

Comparing to THE INCREDIBLE HULK's 2008 opening numbers? Ouch!

Yeah, but if they're comparing it next week with THE INCREDIBLE HULK's 2008 second week numbers, then there's reason to worry....

Watched it tonight with the kids and enjoyed it thoroughly. Maybe it's because I went in with lower expectations than I did Avengers:AoU, but I thought it was a better film. As others have said this was perhaps their most relatable character to date. Very human in his failures and successes.

I hardly watched any clips or trailers beforehand like I normally do so I didn't know a lot of what was coming. Absolutely loved this film and so did my nephew, girlfriend, and her brother. One thing irritated me:

Why put Hydra in as a buyer rather than use it as a segway to introduce some other big group/organization into the MCU? Haven't we seen enough of them?.

I hardly watched any clips or trailers beforehand like I normally do so I didn't know a lot of what was coming. Absolutely loved this film and so did my nephew, girlfriend, and her brother. One thing irritated me:

Why put Hydra in as a buyer rather than use it as a segway to introduce some other big group/organization into the MCU? Haven't we seen enough of them?.

Agreed. They should have done Oscorp instead. How cool would that have been? :popcorn: