• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paul Rudd is Ant-Man
1 1

1,296 posts in this topic

I really liked it it. Top 3 marvel movie for me. I think the people that normally dislike marvel movies will like this one. 3d Imax was so worth it.

^^^This. Super movie that exceeded my expectations. Absolutely loved it.

Just saw the movie with my fiancé and it wasn't bad. She enjoyed it, I thought it was good but not great. I think all the actors did a great job in their roles. Most of the special effects were really well done also. Movie started a little slow but when we finally get to see him use the costume that's when it started to pick up. I didn't think it was as funny as most of the people are saying I chuckled at maybe 5 parts. Comparing it to GOTG I liked GOTG a lot better. We saw the 7pm show in 3d and there were only 7 people in the theater

Edited by A.Romeo

Just came back from a near-empty Imax 3D showing at my local cinema. Took my daughter and we both went in without any particular expectations.

Both of us thought the movie was ok - it wasn't fantastic, it wasn't terrible, it had a handful of funny moments (which were basically Paul Rudd being Paul Rudd and the sidekicks), but it seemed like it took too long to really get going. The action sequences were great, the story was so-so. The people who compare this to GoTG are smoking crack - those two movies aren't in the same league at all.

Hillbilly Yondu

Wise Cracking standard hero

Tree that only says I am Groot GENIUS

Cute but tough animal

Idiotic Drax

Gamera nothing like the ruthless killer in the comics but standard Hollywood kicker chick

Unoriginal plot

That movie sucks

Hillbilly Yondu

Wise Cracking standard hero

Tree that only says I am Groot GENIUS

Cute but tough animal

Idiotic Drax

Gamera nothing like the ruthless killer in the comics but standard Hollywood kicker chick

Unoriginal plot

That movie sucks

When ya put it that way.....

I did like GOTG a lot because I expected nothing. People find it hilarious because it set up jokes you couldn't miss like some crapy sitcom. Antman had way more subtle humor. Me and my GF laughed way way more than the other 40 people there. Not a peep form the baskin robbins part for instance. I feel like such a hipster talking like indy music is to complex to be fully understood by us simpletons but that fact of the matter is most people are dumb. They want their jokes served up on a platter for them. The 4 pints we brought in may have helped....

Thank you for saying GOTG was like a crappy sitcom. That sums it up nicely

Starlord-Al Bundy

Gamera-Peggy Bundy

Rocket Raccoon- Bud Bundy

Drax-Steve

Groot-Buck

Yondu-Jefferson

Just came back from a near-empty Imax 3D showing at my local cinema. Took my daughter and we both went in without any particular expectations.

Both of us thought the movie was ok - it wasn't fantastic, it wasn't terrible, it had a handful of funny moments (which were basically Paul Rudd being Paul Rudd and the sidekicks), but it seemed like it took too long to really get going. The action sequences were great, the story was so-so. The people who compare this to GoTG are smoking crack - those two movies aren't in the same league at all.

I agree with this 100%, and I've been feeling guilty for not walking out of there feeling the same way I did after Winter Soldier or GOTG.

Unlike many, I was thrilled by Iron Man 3, Thor the Dark World and AoU, even though they weren't the highest quality films - this was the opposite for me. I though it was a very well done film, but it didn't thrill me (with the exception of some key moments...)

The Wasp's surprise appearance;

The "Tales the Astonish" line;

The fight with the Falcon;

The VERY Paul Rudd-esque comedy scenes;

The Microverse's brief and trippy appearance.

All in all, I understand why they took the approach they did and why they included it as the "final" instalment of Phase II before Civil War, and I think it was a quality segment in the grand story of the MCU. I have a feeling Scott Lang's Ant-Man is going to be vital in the Infinity War storyline, and that everything Marvel has done with this movie was for a reason.

Edited by Liaton-9000

If Ant Man shrinks by diminishing the distance between atoms then that means his mass remains the same which means an ant cannot carry him.

I want to scream when people laud GOTG

if you ever watch IM3, hide all sharp implements beforehand. that was utter garbage.

Too late I already saw it and have the scars to prove it.

I should preface this by saying that I'm not the biggest fan of the MCU, or at least not as big as some people are.

The "Good": Captain America TWS

The "Ok": Captain America, The Avengers, Iron Man, Thor, GOTG, The Incredible Hulk.

The "I wish I waited until it was at the $3 theater": Thor: The Dark World, Iron Man II.

The "200 Million dollar trailer for upcoming movies": Avengers: Age of Ultron.

The "No better than the worst Friday the 13th movie": Iron Man 3.

Ant-Man is a pretty decent movie. Not as generic as many of the MCU offerings. Actors seemed engaged. Scarlett J. wasn't there with the same look on her face in every scene. RDJ wasn't there chewing up scenery and acting like RDJ. Special Effects were really pretty cool. 3D seemed like it worked really well when compared to other 3D movies I've seen.

Most importantly, Ant-Man doesn't overplay its hand in stating its connectivity to the rest of the MCU. The major x-over appearance is a straightforward action scene that felt organic, rather than the cynical, synthetic x-over (think Hawkeye showing up in Thor-obviously shot after the rest of the flick was in the can) that can permeate these MCU movies.

I felt like the story was self contained, and wasn't as cookie-cutter as many of the other MCU movies have been. The trajectory of the story gained momentum through to the end of the movie, whereas many if not most of its MCU predecessors seemed to be fading by the third act, at least to my eyes. Maybe not being as apocalyptic as the others was a benefit to Ant-Man.

A criticism could be that the movie felt a little small at times, no pun intended. While Corey Stoll, Paul Rudd, Michael Pena, and Michael Douglas seemed on point, Evangeline Lilly seemed bored, probably because her character was underwritten. Also, I could see the argument that the movie played a little younger than the rest of the MCU.

Is Ant-Man a "good" movie? Probably not, but then again neither is Phantasm II and that movie rocks the mess. Everything's relative. Compared to the rest of the MCU, I liked it better than most.

Overall, I'd put Ant-Man in towards the top of my "OK" category.

Agree, that it was fairly self-contained. I thought it was entertaining -- had its fan moments.

Nowhere near GOTG. Better than IM3, HULKs... maybe on par with cap 1. I liked a lot of the easter eggs.

Tales to Astonish

Microverse was pretty cool, although he didn't stay long enough to see anything. I wonder if they hid something that flashed by quickly... saw a microscopic insect there.

Falcon fight was a cool touch. Good to see Ant Man could hang.

I wasn't hysterically laughing at the comedy of the hispanic guy, but then again I didn't find SPY terribly funny either (wife did).

Nice early and post wasp cameos.

Nice hints at Giant Man in future.... thought we'd see some here.

Girl at end mentions, we've seen crawling (spider) insects, jumping (batroc?), etcc.. why not shrinking?

2nd post tease was kind of interesting... guess they found winter soldier... but little explanation.

Pretty astonishing how young they made Michael douglas appear, and of course haley and stark. sr. were there in the early days.

Early Weekend Estimates: Marvel's 'Ant-Man' Modest at $57.5M

Disney reports that Ant-Man bowed to $22.64 million on Friday, not terribly far behind the expected range heading into the weekend. Still, that represents the second lowest opening day in Marvel's Cinematic Universe, leading only 2008's The Incredible Hulk ($21.5 million) and falling about 12 percent short of 2011's Captain America: The First Avenger ($25.7 million), which was the last Marvel pic to open in mid-to-late July. Despite tempered enthusiasm heading into release, early word of mouth appears generally positive with a 92 percent Flixster score (although that is comparable to Avengers: Age of Ultron's 90 percent) after an 80 percent Rotten Tomatoes critics' score. In short, it remains to be seen what kind of legs we can expect from Ant-Man at this point. BoxOffice is projecting a $57.5 million opening weekend.

Comparing to THE INCREDIBLE HULK's 2008 opening numbers? Ouch!