• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Paul Rudd is Ant-Man
1 1

1,296 posts in this topic

the part where Cross turned that guy into a blob of goo and then again the lamb

There was only one part I felt uncomfortable letting my seven year old watch...was surprised The Mouse let that through

That was to show how much of a bad guy he was.

I think he had already been wearing the suit and that's how he got into Hank's house. There was definitely some odd implied offscreen movement going on.

"How did you get in here?"

"You left your door open!"

No, he didn't. :)

I hardly watched any clips or trailers beforehand like I normally do so I didn't know a lot of what was coming. Absolutely loved this film and so did my nephew, girlfriend, and her brother. One thing irritated me:

Why put Hydra in as a buyer rather than use it as a segway to introduce some other big group/organization into the MCU? Haven't we seen enough of them?.

Agreed. They should have done Oscorp instead. How cool would that have been? :popcorn:

That's because:

Hydra has already been set up as the "big bad" in the MCU. They didn't need to explain anything, or set up any new organization, they had an evil entity that amped up the danger of this tech getting in their hands. It was quick and clean and didn't slow the narrative fixing something that wasn't broken.

Also, Oscorp is in the Spider-verse. I am not sure if the deal with sony allows them to use anything from that world.

But part of the tech got out anyway. The ex-shield guy that Pym punched in the face in the beginning ran off with Cross' version of the formula and got away clean. So we may see this tech used by bad guys in the future anyway.

I'm 98% sure the deal would have allowed it. hm

I hardly watched any clips or trailers beforehand like I normally do so I didn't know a lot of what was coming. Absolutely loved this film and so did my nephew, girlfriend, and her brother. One thing irritated me:

Why put Hydra in as a buyer rather than use it as a segway to introduce some other big group/organization into the MCU? Haven't we seen enough of them?.

Agreed. They should have done Oscorp instead. How cool would that have been? :popcorn:

That's because:

Hydra has already been set up as the "big bad" in the MCU. They didn't need to explain anything, or set up any new organization, they had an evil entity that amped up the danger of this tech getting in their hands. It was quick and clean and didn't slow the narrative fixing something that wasn't broken.

Also, Oscorp is in the Spider-verse. I am not sure if the deal with sony allows them to use anything from that world.

But part of the tech got out anyway. The ex-shield guy that Pym punched in the face in the beginning ran off with Cross' version of the formula and got away clean. So we may see this tech used by bad guys in the future anyway.

Marvel can't touch any mutant whatsoever with their fox deal with X-men and they haven't been able to touch Spider-man or any characters or unique details of the Spider-man universe that originated there as part of the original Sony deal.

I know they are allowing Spider-man to appear in a Marvel film now but that's just that character and nothing was included about other Spider-characters or entities.

Did you read something different? Everything I've seen points one way.

Were those moments of pure genius remnants of Edgar Wright's sense of humor?

Saw it tonight in a packed cinema with the wife and we both thought it was great - there are some moments of pure genius in there.

That's because:

Marvel can't touch any mutant whatsoever with their fox deal with X-men and they haven't been able to touch Spider-man or any characters or unique details of the Spider-man universe that originated there as part of the original Sony deal.

I know they are allowing Spider-man to appear in a Marvel film now but that's just that character and nothing was included about other Spider-characters or entities.

How are they going to make a Spider-man movie without being able to have anything from the Spider-man universe?

Also, loved the part when he called Paxton an @ss hat and was told to watch his language, to which he replied "What? I said hat."

That's because:

How are they going to make a Spider-man movie without being able to have anything from the Spider-man universe?

Also, loved the part when he called Paxton an @ss hat and was told to watch his language, to which he replied "What? I said hat."

Sony is going to make a Spider-man movie. Marvel Studios won't.

Marvel was able to get the rights to use Spider-man in their movies. So Spider-man will help the Avengers I guess, but it won't be against any of the Spider-villains.

Saw it lats night and enjoyed it a lot.

It wasn't as good as the best Marvel films but it was a solid 8.0 / 10 in my books.

I agree with comix4fun, Epic Peach and Comicopolis that this movie ain't affecting any of the other future films.

From the beginning we knew that this was more or less a transitional film introducing new technology and new characters into the greater scheme.

Those future movies have already been planned for and set in stone in my opinion (look ma, no Marvel stocks! :D )

It was funny, decently paced and fun to watch.

Paul Rudd has a following and he maintains his on screen inertia in this flick so some people will see it just because it's him. Others will see this flick because it ties into the Marvel Universe and they're going to want to remain in the loop.

And I wouldn't underestimate this. There are still lots of people who haven't followed the MU on screen - people who get up after the movie is done and don't realize there are after movie Easter eggs coming. :facepalm:

I think those people will eventually feel the need to view the movie to stay in the loop.

Evangeline Lily was terrific, as was Douglas.

One thing that might be a turn off is the ants themselves. Most people find bugs unattractive. Personally, I'm kind of happy they cleaned up the look of the ants so I didn't have to see them in vivid detail.

All in all, I think this movie is going to do exactly what it's supposed to do.

--------------------

One thing I didn't get, is could he control his density at will when shrunken? Did I miss something?

Why was it that he could punch like a man in Ant Man size when he wanted to but didn't weight normal man weight when he ran around on some of these guys (like when he's running along the barrel of the gun on the trailer)?

That didn't make sense to me.

Comix4fun-

I see why you'd think that, but I recommend reading through the announcements again:

http://marvel.com/news/movies/24062/sony_pictures_entertainment_brings_marvel_studios_into_the_amazing_world_of_spider-man

Though you are correct in that they never explicitly say "We can now use Spidey AND his supporting cast in the MCU", they do mention the Spider-Man cast of characters, and they repeatedly bring up the fact that he will now firmly be in the MCU. It also mentions talks of including MCU characters into the Spidey movies, so it stands to reason that that deal goes both ways.

Sony will be making the next Spidey trilogy, but it will still be a MCU film. If Oscorp exists in the Sony Spider-Man movies, it exists in the MCU, even though Sony has final say on what exactly Oscorp DOES in those Spider-Man movies.

I'm perfectly willing to be proven wrong, but for me, evidence points towards the two operating more closely than you might be thinking :foryou:

Were those moments of pure genius remnants of Edgar Wright's sense of humor?

Saw it tonight in a packed cinema with the wife and we both thought it was great - there are some moments of pure genius in there.

Who knows.

Saw it lats night and enjoyed it a lot.

It wasn't as good as the best Marvel films but it was a solid 8.0 / 10 in my books.

I agree with comix4fun, Epic Peach and Comicopolis that this movie ain't affecting any of the other future films.

From the beginning we knew that this was more or less a transitional film introducing new technology and new characters into the greater scheme.

Those future movies have already been planned for and set in stone in my opinion (look ma, no Marvel stocks! :D )

It was funny, decently paced and fun to watch.

Paul Rudd has a following and he maintains his on screen inertia in this flick so some people will see it just because it's him. Others will see this flick because it ties into the Marvel Universe and they're going to want to remain in the loop.

And I wouldn't underestimate this. There are still lots of people who haven't followed the MU on screen - people who get up after the movie is done and don't realize there are after movie Easter eggs coming. :facepalm:

I think those people will eventually feel the need to view the movie to stay in the loop.

Evangeline Lily was terrific, as was Douglas.

One thing that might be a turn off is the ants themselves. Most people find bugs unattractive. Personally, I'm kind of happy they cleaned up the look of the ants so I didn't have to see them in vivid detail.

All in all, I think this movie is going to do exactly what it's supposed to do.

--------------------

One thing I didn't get, is could he control his density at will when shrunken? Did I miss something?

Why was it that he could punch like a man in Ant Man size when he wanted to but didn't weight normal man weight when he ran around on some of these guys (like when he's running along the barrel of the gun on the trailer)?

That didn't make sense to me.

Shaky science that is never explained properly.

Just came back from a near-empty Imax 3D showing at my local cinema. Took my daughter and we both went in without any particular expectations.

Strangely enough our Imax 3D was also near empty.

Went in to see Trainwreck and the theater was packed to the gills.