• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics, Pulps, and Paperbacks: Why such a discrepancy in values?
25 25

7,196 posts in this topic

On 1/29/2022 at 3:31 PM, Book Guy said:

For the Avon enthusiasts. Not a Mass Market Paperback, but interesting anyway. There's a nice copy on ABE for $45 now.

IMG_0327.JPG

IMG_0328.JPG

IMG_0329.JPG

IMG_0330.JPG

IMG_0331.JPG

Pretty cool, I seem to recall seeing others, probably Bruce Brenner showed me some since he has/had everything Avon imaginable

On 2/5/2022 at 8:51 AM, ThothAmon said:

Dracula. 

218C1F46-4458-4F69-A4AA-432E700E542D.jpeg

8391284A-F45C-4997-B2AF-DD87154CBB13.jpeg

Never saw this before your post. Very cool cover and book. Looks like a sleeper "comic book" pb but actually well priced up in the couple of places I could find one so I wouldn't call it a sleeper. I just didn't know about it. Others apparently do!

On 2/6/2022 at 1:48 PM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Hit the local flea market today for the first time since Covid. Really low on dealers and less attendees. Comic searching is a joke so I don't pause long to look at those. Instead I search for other interesting things like BLB's Pulps and Paperbacks. Scored these three today. The Philip D**k Ace Double was $8 and the other two were $2. Most comics there are priced higher and are mostly junk. I bought these mainly to read; the Fritz Leiber book looks entertaining.

@Robot Man were you there today?

Paperbacks.thumb.jpg.e42300081d80397811c1c43a4ce261be.jpg

You can't buy 3 new paperbacks to read for that price, and these are so much cooler! :cheers:

On 2/6/2022 at 10:48 AM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Hit the local flea market today for the first time since Covid. Really low on dealers and less attendees. Comic searching is a joke so I don't pause long to look at those. Instead I search for other interesting things like BLB's Pulps and Paperbacks. Scored these three today. The Philip D**k Ace Double was $8 and the other two were $2. Most comics there are priced higher and are mostly junk. I bought these mainly to read; the Fritz Leiber book looks entertaining.

@Robot Man were you there today?

Paperbacks.thumb.jpg.e42300081d80397811c1c43a4ce261be.jpg

No, I missed it today. I was set up at the San Fernando Con instead. My boothmate and a couple other guys went before the con. Word was it was REAL sparce. I can understand vintage comics and pulps ect being super hard to find but if my buddy left with nothing not a real good sign. He deals, like I do in all kinds of stuff.

I hope this show continues to recover from the pandamic. I think a lot of the older dealers might have retired from the business.

Good to see you scored some good PBs. Wouldn’t have been worth the drive for me. But you are a local. 

Another scarce digest with a good cover. Note the contents: Lawrence Block (and the suspicious B L Lawrence); Reynard (Fox) Jay, Jay Folb and Jay Fox all make me think of Harlan Ellison (whose middle name was Jay), but I can't find any info online. Presumably the same guy whoever it was! Most of the other names look pseudonym-my to me as well. Great story

titles!

titletitles!IMG_0961.thumb.JPG.ea56d5bc28252d74ff150e21bdbe3191.JPG

Jay FoxIMG_0962.thumb.JPG.21c060f483e6fa74efd13dc95f0f23d9.JPG

Edited by Book Guy

I like the understated sexiness of the Shep Mead cover

TWO MUCH has pink flocking over the title and the bikinis. Word on the street is that the artist painted both gals naked as he knew they were going to be flocked over, but some copies escaped without the covering! I don't know if that's true or not. Supposedly you can scrape the flocking off and see,for yourself but I've never tried.

Anyone know for certain? Post pics of them unflocked if you got 'em.

IMG_0958.JPG

IMG_0959.JPG