• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WYTCHES - Scott Snyder & Jock

1,106 posts in this topic

The book was freaky and reminded me of an experience I had when I was 17 or maybe 18 years old. This is my story and doesn't spoil anything in the book. When I was a teen, we and a lot of other families we knew, used to go to river camps about 30 miles east of town on the Ohio. We partied hearty, water skied, went boating and fishing, and partied some more just because there wasn't a lot of things to do. Anyway, my closest friend and my younger brother broke off from the pack and went walking through a nearby woods just to see what was in it. This is where the story gets interesting.

They walked right next to a dilapidated house that they thought was just a giant wall of ivy. They were literally within a couple of feet of it before they realized it was a house. The entire thing was overrun with ivy, bushes, and trees. They saw a dark opening that was a doorway but even in the middle of the day, they were too scared to walk in the place. They got freaked out and came and got the rest of us. Instead of going back immediately, we decided to get some girls to go with us that night. I hadn't seen the place at this point and was thinking to myself, how scary can it really be ? Unfortunately, pretty freaking scary.

So that night, we start making our way to this old abandoned house. There were 8 guys and 8 girls. The oldest of us was 24 or 25 and had just returned from 4 years in the Marines. He was a tough SOB if there ever was one. He led the way with his girl. I was in the rear of the pack with my girl. She was a beauty but a little in the freaked out side. Everybody else ranged from 16 to 21 in age. It was about a mile to the woods. Once we reached them, it wasn't very far to the house but it took over 20 minutes to reach it. There was an 8 foot ditch to cross and briars and thorns everywhere you walked. It really was kind of painful just to walk to the place.

My Marine buddy, Roger, had a flashlight. The rest of us had lighters or nothing. He walked right up next to the house and nearly ran into it. To call it scary would be akin to calling the Grand Canyon a little ditch. It freaked all of us out. One by one, we went in. The floors felt surprisingly sturdy. The only thing in the first room was a bench that had what looked lot be red paint splattered all over it and flickering shadows from our lighters.

To the right was an empty room with really old and battered cabinets. Straight ahead was a room with grass or weeds or even trees growing in it. I wanted away from there. To the left was another room that led to a stairway that was behind a wall. As we walked into this room, we started hearing something tapping above us in the ceiling. I thought my heart would explode. A smart group of people would have left but just like in the movies, we had to find out what this noise. :o

Roger starts walking up the stairs and we are all in a single file line and the notice gets louder. TAP, TAP, TAP. The closer he gets to the top of the stairs, the louder and louder the TAP, TAP, TAP gets. I'm still at the bottom of the steps as Roger reached the top. His flashlight is the only thing shining at this point. All of the sudden, the tapping goes into a real fast tap,tap, rap and I hear hissing. Roger screams GET THE EFF OUT !

You don't need to tell me twice. I'm gone. Leaving everybody behind except for 2 people running stride for stride with me until we all hit that stupid muddy ditch like bags of potatoes falling out of the sky. I get up and I'm bleeding from the briars and muddy as a person can be. A couple of more people land on each side of me. The brush and ditch that took us 20 minutes to walk through took about a minute to kill ourselves get back to where we started.

People weren't with us so we went back. The girl I was with was still there on the porch of the place. She had some kind of seizure and rarely spoke to me after that night. The tapping turned out to be a buzzard/vulture with about a 5-6 foot wingspan. Evidently, it was protecting its babies in a giant nest upstairs. I didn't know that birds could make a hissing sound but I promise it was effin scary. I've never gone back to that woods but I've never forgotten about it either. I rarely see most of the people thang were there that night but when I do, they almost always bring the house in the woods up. It was truly the eeriest thing I've ever experienced. So I can somewhat relate to the writer of the book. Sorry for the long story.

Edited by The Authority

^^^ I love that story.

Reminds me of one time we thought we'd scare these girls by bringing them back to an old Indian burial cemetery we found in the woods. We thought it would be funny to bury our buddy Toby under some leaves, and then when we had the girls in the graveyard he would pop up and scare them..

Well, that was the plan. We buried Toby in the leaves, and then left him there and went back to the house to get the girls so we could drag them back and show them (And scare them)..

Here's the fun part. The house was about a mile away, but we got back quickly and grabbed the girls, told them all about the spooky graveyard. They were intrigued, but as we were walking back to the graveyard where Toby was buried, it was getting dark. By the time we got back to the Indian graveyard, it was pitch black. We had no flashlights, we couldn't see a foot in front of our faces under the cover of darkness and shade of the massive trees.. We were walking around, but nobody could see where Toby was, and then suddenly, one of girls steps right on his stomach. He jumps up from the leaves in pain yelling at the top of his lungs. His scream of pain and leaves shooting everywhere shocked the heck out of them! Everybody took off in all eight directions.. It was hilarious.. Toby was in pain, but I was laughing as the girls took off smashing into trees, headstones, tripping over one another..

^^^ I love that story.

Reminds me of one time we thought we'd scare these girls by bringing them back to an old Indian burial cemetery we found in the woods. We thought it would be funny to bury our buddy Toby under some leaves, and then when we had the girls in the graveyard he would pop up and scare them..

Well, that was the plan. We buried Toby in the leaves, and then left him there and went back to the house to get the girls so we could drag them back and show them (And scare them)..

Here's the fun part. The house was about a mile away, but we got back quickly and grabbed the girls, told them all about the spooky graveyard. They were intrigued, but as we were walking back to the graveyard where Toby was buried, it was getting dark. By the time we got back to the Indian graveyard, it was pitch black. We had no flashlights, we couldn't see a foot in front of our faces under the cover of darkness and shade of the massive trees.. We were walking around, but nobody could see where Toby was, and then suddenly, one of girls steps right on his stomach. He jumps up from the leaves in pain yelling at the top of his lungs. Everybody took off in all eight directions.. It was hilarious.. Toby was in pain, but I was laughing as the girls took off smashing into trees, headstones, tripping over one another..

Hahahahahahaha !!! That is hilarious...now. lol

:roflmao:

Awesome story Authority! I was getting goosebumps reading it. What state do you live in if you don't mind me asking ? The woods at night always creeped me out. Maybe because I'm a city kid?

:fear:

Haha !

I live in southern Indiana. I'm in the city but this place is surrounded by woods and fields. We used to go haunted house hunting a lot. Only a couple turned out scary and this was the cream of the crop.

^^^ I love that story.

Here's the fun part. The house was about a mile away, but we got back quickly and grabbed the girls, told them all about the spooky graveyard. They were intrigued, but as we were walking back to the graveyard where Toby was buried, it was getting dark. By the time we got back to the Indian graveyard, it was pitch black. We had no flashlights, we couldn't see a foot in front of our faces under the cover of darkness and shade of the massive trees.. We were walking around, but nobody could see where Toby was, and then suddenly, one of girls steps right on his stomach. He jumps up from the leaves in pain yelling at the top of his lungs. Everybody took off in all eight directions.. It was hilarious.. Toby was in pain, but I was laughing as the girls took off smashing into trees, headstones, tripping over one another..

I need to find my video tape of it. We were rolling tape, you can't see anything, but you can hear Toby scream and then all the girls scream and take off, and then you can hear me laughing hysterically on film.

So you did a George Castanza and left your girl there haha....good story Authority.

:o

We both typed this at the same time lol

This wouldn't have happened after I got in shape in the service. I was much faster and probably could have cleared that ditch by age 20. :grin:

^^^ I love that story.

I need to find my video tape of it. We were rolling tape, you can't see anything, but you can hear Toby scream and then all the girls scream and take off, and then you can hear me laughing hysterically on film.

You're freaking killing me right now ! My wife just asked me what's so damn funny ? Bwahahahahaha !

So you did a George Castanza and left your girl there haha....good story Authority.

:o

We both typed this at the same time lol

This wouldn't have happened after I got in shape in the service. I was much faster and probably could have cleared that ditch by age 20. :grin:

And then everywhere I went I was a running.....run Forest Run. lol