• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WYTCHES - Scott Snyder & Jock

1,106 posts in this topic

Creator owned properties CAN sell hundreds. But usually don't. In fact, the overwhelming majority of them have never and will never see the Diamond top 300. A staggering number of them are likely not even stocked by your store. The average number of copies sold, for ones only published by the largest five or so creator owned publishers, is likely in the very low four figures worldwide.

The average DC superhero comic would be in the Diamond top 100-150 every month, or else it's cancelled. How many creator owned books are in the top Diamond 150? Lets look. Earliest I can find is June, but here it is.

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/29081.html

14 creator owned comics made the top 150. Two of them first issues that likely dropped at issue #2.

Now, Batgirl sold just under fifty thousand copies that month, coming in at number 30. Only three creator owned comics outsold Batgirl that month. One was Walking Dead, one was Saga, and one was a first issue written by Kirkman. Those are the only things outselling a typical issue of Batgirl.

Breaking News! DC and Marvel superhero comics outsell other comics.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

There is no regularly scheduled program... yet. The modern board chatter has mostly devolved into speculation discussion on every new title that comes out, and let's face it there is little else to discuss after a five minute read. Give it six months or a year and then there might be something interesting going on in this thread, until then print runs, ebay and opinions are all you and I are going to hear.

Modern speculation isn't dead it's just sometimes hard to comprehend why not when it's being increasingly absorbed by the publisher, the print runs are in the majority massively top heavy, there are more than enough NM copies and TV show news rules the roost even if a comic doesn't necessarily have a built in fan base. The frenzy that can ensue IMHO has very little to do with the content and escapist entertainment that a well read comic fan is interested in, it's just heightened expectation, placing bets and timing. All of a sudden anyone not joining in is apparently experiencing a severe case of butthurt because they missed the boat. Probably not the case... maybe they are just looking at things objectively regarding the speculation itself only (not dissing the book).

Even if you forgo these forums and go and look at some of the review sites there's hardly a bad comic out there? ? ? http://comicbookroundup.com/comic-books/release-dates/2014-10-08 It's all the same bland monochrome canvas of words jumbled together where it's even more difficult to pick out any real gems. That's a bit of a tangent... but it's also part of the reason why I am starting to dislike reading about new titles anywhere online until they have been given a chance to get a couple of arcs done.

Who knows? Wytches could be pretty awesome... let's wait and see :P

It just gets old. I'm on multiple comic book forums, and this is the ONLY one where discussion is pretty much completely limited to print runs, movie deals, variant covers, and eBay sales. This isn't the stock market. It's cartoon books. I imagine this is what a Beanie Baby forum would have looked like fifteen years ago, with all their genius investors celebrating their acquisition of every toy at Toys R Us so they could scalp them to parents before Christmas and make those precious profits.

It just gets old. I'm on multiple comic book forums, and this is the ONLY one where discussion is pretty much completely limited to print runs, movie deals, variant covers, and eBay sales. This isn't the stock market. It's cartoon books. I imagine this is what a Beanie Baby forum would have looked like fifteen years ago, with all their genius investors celebrating their acquisition of every toy at Toys R Us so they could scalp them to parents before Christmas and make those precious profits.

And yet you yourself have not given any information on the Wytches "cartoon book" itself. You've been on a tear ripping modern speculators. That's it. When you click on the Wytches thread link, what do you think you're going to get? Up until 8 Oct it was ALL speculation based on a preview, writer and artist.

If you think this speculation stuff is getting old, guess what we I think about your anti-speculation comments. Please read the book and let us know what you think. I, for one, am waiting for you to give us a review.

Edit: I have not read it yet since I cannot get to the LCS until Saturday. Review to come :)

Edited by 21Pittsburgh58

Also I think this is one of the most informative comic book forums out there. This is the one I frequent the most . We talk about speculation, first appearances, movies and the series itself. We have creators come and post here such as wiebe, Laramie, and Stephenson and they interact with us . Are there any other comic book forums out there that can provide all of these things? I don't think the cgc forums are "getting old". Far from it. However, this is my opinion.

(shrug)

Edited by jreezy

Creator owned properties CAN sell hundreds. But usually don't. In fact, the overwhelming majority of them have never and will never see the Diamond top 300. A staggering number of them are likely not even stocked by your store. The average number of copies sold, for ones only published by the largest five or so creator owned publishers, is likely in the very low four figures worldwide.

The average DC superhero comic would be in the Diamond top 100-150 every month, or else it's cancelled. How many creator owned books are in the top Diamond 150? Lets look. Earliest I can find is June, but here it is.

14 creator owned comics made the top 150. Two of them first issues that likely dropped at issue #2.

Now, Batgirl sold just under fifty thousand copies that month, coming in at number 30. Only three creator owned comics outsold Batgirl that month. One was Walking Dead, one was Saga, and one was a first issue written by Kirkman. Those are the only things outselling a typical issue of Batgirl.

There is no regularly scheduled program... yet. The modern board chatter has mostly devolved into speculation discussion on every new title that comes out, and let's face it there is little else to discuss after a five minute read. Give it six months or a year and then there might be something interesting going on in this thread, until then print runs, ebay and opinions are all you and I are going to hear.

Modern speculation isn't dead it's just sometimes hard to comprehend why not when it's being increasingly absorbed by the publisher, the print runs are in the majority massively top heavy, there are more than enough NM copies and TV show news rules the roost even if a comic doesn't necessarily have a built in fan base. The frenzy that can ensue IMHO has very little to do with the content and escapist entertainment that a well read comic fan is interested in, it's just heightened expectation, placing bets and timing. All of a sudden anyone not joining in is apparently experiencing a severe case of butthurt because they missed the boat. Probably not the case... maybe they are just looking at things objectively regarding the speculation itself only (not dissing the book).

Even if you forgo these forums and go and look at some of the review sites there's hardly a bad comic out there? ? ? http://comicbookroundup.com/comic-books/release-dates/2014-10-08 It's all the same bland monochrome canvas of words jumbled together where it's even more difficult to pick out any real gems. That's a bit of a tangent... but it's also part of the reason why I am starting to dislike reading about new titles anywhere online until they have been given a chance to get a couple of arcs done.

Haha :)

Yup, the speculation nation and their hoarder disorder rules the roost... but these forums are very active, vibrant, often ahead of the game and with a good share of interesting people (quite a few of whom are at the very top end of collecting or involvement in the industry, even if they aren't always the most vocal ones). Given enough time threads bed in and often produce some quite interesting stuff, just not straight away.

Haha :)

Yup, the speculation nation and their hoarder disorder rules the roost... but these forums are very active, vibrant, often ahead of the game and with a good share of interesting people (quite a few of whom are at the very top end of collecting or involvement in the industry, even if they aren't always the most vocal ones). Given enough time threads bed in and often produce some quite interesting stuff, just not straight away.

Yep. Being at the bottom of the comic book food chain, I try to be vocal. lol

I do think the people on these boards are awesome and I enjoy the discussions and comraderie. Even when we all get bent out of shape, we almost always seem to straighten it out and come back together in the end. It is never dull here and we all love comics. :banana:

Specs aside, I'm digging the first issue a lot! The creepy vibe that Jock delivers is fantastic; my phone vibrated while I was reading the flashback scene and I almost mess myself lol. The writing is average so far, but its just world building right now, but the outlook is good. Maybe some of you guys with 30 copies can crack one.

I do think the people on these boards are awesome and I enjoy the discussions and comraderie. Even when we all get bent out of shape, we almost always seem to straighten it out and come back together in the end. It is never dull here and we all love comics. :banana:

+1 :hi:

I haven't read it yet (copies in the mail), but I hear good things about Wytches :popcorn:

Also I think this is one of the most informative comic book forums out there. This is the one I frequent the most . We talk about speculation, first appearances, movies and the series itself. We have creators come and post here such as wiebe, Laramie, and Stephenson and they interact with us . Are there any other comic book forums out there that can provide all of these things? I don't think the cgc forums are "getting old". Far from it. However, this is my opinion.

(shrug)

Typically when a new comic is announced, the announcement is posted, a hundred pages of "Will there be a movie? How many copies is the variant limited to? Will there be an exclusive for the upcoming convention? Is it an ongoing?"

Then the book comes out. Now we get a hundred pages of "I got ten copies! I got the SDCC varaint! Look at these prices on eBay! I hear it's sold out everywhere. Second print already?"

Once I even asked "What's it about?" and was completely ignored. It doesn't matter.

(shrug)

Typically when a new comic is announced, the announcement is posted, a hundred pages of "Will there be a movie? How many copies is the variant limited to? Will there be an exclusive for the upcoming convention? Is it an ongoing?"

Then the book comes out. Now we get a hundred pages of "I got ten copies! I got the SDCC varaint! Look at these prices on eBay! I hear it's sold out everywhere. Second print already?"

Once I even asked "What's it about?" and was completely ignored. It doesn't matter.

Pages of speculating >>>> pages of people complaining about speculating

Edited by Matt Murdock

Enjoyed the first issue. I didn't feel that Jock "Phoned it in" at all, and thought the art suited the story very well. The essay at the end was superb, and I like the idea that Witches as we've historically known them were not the "Wytches" themselves, but worshipers of the actual Wytches. There was even some good comedic moments in the book.

And yet you yourself have not given any information on the Wytches "cartoon book" itself.

Yeah, I was unable to get a copy, remember? Because of speculators, remember?

You couldn't pre-order a copy or reserve one at an LCS? There was plenty of time to do so. Speculators may be to blame for the copies being gone on the day of release, but you hold most responsibility for you not getting a copy for yourself.

And yet you yourself have not given any information on the Wytches "cartoon book" itself.

Yeah, I was unable to get a copy, remember? Because of speculators, remember?

You couldn't pre-order a copy or reserve one at an LCS? There was plenty of time to do so. Speculators may be to blame for the copies being gone on the day of release, but you hold most responsibility for you not getting a copy for yourself.

I actually stopped going to my LCS because comics I ordered (specifically Afterlife With Archie) wouldn't be in my pull when I arrived on Wednesday a couple hours after opening. Because he sold all the copies to speculators first thing in the morning.