• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

Back to core conversation -- when it comes to determining market value, there are dozens of confounders which skew numbers for any one sale - looking at trends and making proper adjustments is the way I would do it. Factoring in things like

- site of sale

- format (auction/BIN)

- presence of outlier defects (chipping/writing)

- color strike

- when slab was graded

- technical appearance relative to grade

- number of other copies presently available

- last sale price (see, there it is! ;) )

- other external trends

- location of book

- record/credibility of seller

- terms of sale (availability of time payments, eg)

You forget page quality and cover paper quality. :baiting:

Yes, white paged copies do sell for more so that's definitely a key consideration. (thumbs u

...except when they don't. lol

-J.

Which is rarely.

The highest priced sale of a 6.0 recorded in GPA had white pages. It fetched 19% more than any other copy has sold for at that grade, and is the only white paged copy to have sold at that grade level in the past 3 years. The second highest recorded sale for a 6.0 had ow/w page quality.

The three highest sales ever recorded for a 5.0 all had ow/w page quality. In the past 3 years, no white paged sales are recorded at that grade.

The two highest recorded sales for a 3.0 were for ow/w paged copies, both sold last year. There were no recorded sales for a white pager in this grade. Conversely, the two lowest selling copies last year in this grade had c/ow pages.

There have been too few sales of this book in conditions above 6.0 over the past two years to refute the importance of white pages to selling price.

Are there recent examples of white paged copies underperforming compared with a ow or c/ow example, or are you just blowing hot air again?

Don't bother trying on the PQ with him. Everyone has tried but because there is a sale at some point or another where a CR/OW out sells a OW/W it doesn't matter. I mean its not like someone can find sales of a book with tape outselling one without, or a book with MC outselling one without or a book with writing on the cover/date stamp outselling one without. Its a useless and pointless argument with Jay

Yup, you're right. It's useless (i.e., impossible) to "prove" anything either way with anecdotal, cherry picked evidence. The difference is that I accept and acknowledge that, while you feel the need to be "right" (despite all evidence that says you aren't "right"). For every data point you can produce I can produce a counter one.

Stalemate. (thumbs u

-J.

Don't bother trying on the PQ with him. Everyone has tried but because there is a sale at some point or another where a CR/OW out sells a OW/W it doesn't matter. I mean its not like someone can find sales of a book with tape outselling one without, or a book with MC outselling one without or a book with writing on the cover/date stamp outselling one without. Its a useless and pointless argument with Jay

Hey, there's two sides to every coin...in this case there's Jay's side, and the side of every other dealer and collector on the board. lol

Hey, there's two sides to every coin...in this case there's Jay's side, and the side of every other dealer and collector on the board. lol

...and the third side... Reality. (as inconvenient as that may seem) lol

Your arguments fail because you speak in absolutes. There are rarely absolutes in anything, and especially in this hobby.

Feel free to peruse GPA for yourself. There's cherries there for everybody. ;)

-J.

Thank you for all of your guys input. I did not mean to set off a firestorm, I was just curious for a range on the book.

No worries, this has almost exclusively turned into a thread for tracking and commenting on the value of this book - how much it has appreciated, what copies sell for on different venues, what copies graded by other certification companies sell for, amazement at the relentless value appreciation of this book, what the current $/pt value is, etc. (thumbs u

Thank you for all of your guys input. I did not mean to set off a firestorm, I was just curious for a range on the book.

Do you guys keep track of who has what CGC number and the like?

Not your fault, don't worry about it one bit. Hope you find your copy!

Usually when I post a copy of a recent purchase, someone PM's me the back story of when they found the book in the wild or when they decided to get it slabbed. That is one of my favorite parts of the community here.

This may seem like a stupid question, but why does the colour of the pages really matter if it is going to be slabbed. I personally hate the idea of slabbing as I believe the comic is enshrined for ever never to be read again. As for the pages affecting the grade instead of say a spine split then I disagree, as the overall look of the covers seem to matter most.

This may seem like a stupid question, but why does the colour of the pages really matter if it is going to be slabbed. I personally hate the idea of slabbing as I believe the comic is enshrined for ever never to be read again. As for the pages affecting the grade instead of say a spine split then I disagree, as the overall look of the covers seem to matter most.

The color of the pages can impact the value of the book.

The color of the pages can impact the value of the book.

I believe he is really asking why should the color of the pages affect the value at all, especially since nobody is ever going to be able to see the inside pages anyways when the book is enshrined in a tomb. :gossip:

Yes you are right Lou that's what I meant. As for my dislike of slabbing it goes back to an episode I watched of History detectives. In the show a man had bought a few cover-less comics that featured Black romance storylines and as they did their research the only examples they could show him were slabbed. I found this very sad as he was very eager to find out more.

Back to core conversation -- when it comes to determining market value, there are dozens of confounders which skew numbers for any one sale - looking at trends and making proper adjustments is the way I would do it. Factoring in things like

- site of sale

- format (auction/BIN)

- presence of outlier defects (chipping/writing)

- color strike

- when slab was graded

- technical appearance relative to grade

- number of other copies presently available

- last sale price (see, there it is! ;) )

- other external trends

- location of book

- record/credibility of seller

- terms of sale (availability of time payments, eg)

You forget page quality and cover paper quality. :baiting:

Yes, white paged copies do sell for more so that's definitely a key consideration. (thumbs u

...except when they don't. lol

-J.

Which is rarely.

The highest priced sale of a 6.0 recorded in GPA had white pages. It fetched 19% more than any other copy has sold for at that grade, and is the only white paged copy to have sold at that grade level in the past 3 years. The second highest recorded sale for a 6.0 had ow/w page quality.

The three highest sales ever recorded for a 5.0 all had ow/w page quality. In the past 3 years, no white paged sales are recorded at that grade.

The two highest recorded sales for a 3.0 were for ow/w paged copies, both sold last year. There were no recorded sales for a white pager in this grade. Conversely, the two lowest selling copies last year in this grade had c/ow pages.

There have been too few sales of this book in conditions above 6.0 over the past two years to refute the importance of white pages to selling price.

Are there recent examples of white paged copies underperforming compared with a ow or c/ow example, or are you just blowing hot air again?

I'm still paying off (time payments) my 5.0 with WP but I will say that I'm paying quite a bit more than any recorded 5.0s on GPA just because of the WP (and overall nice colors on the book). I hate to be "that guy", but I'm probably setting a record for 5.0 price range. I'm a clearly a sucker for WP.

Because some people correlate the color of the paper with the state of preservation of the book.

Any one have a guess at what the 9.4 goes for next month? I assume it has to be a bit above the $450,000 Metro was offering for a 9.4, but how much more. Assuming HA waved the 10%, the seller is still losing 19.5% (assuming that HA doesn't offer some kind of rebate on the BP)