• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

You guys keep saying foxing but I think you mean tanning?

Structurally the book looks like a 9.4 - a 9.4 is not a perfect book. You can have some rounded corners and some slight wear. The tanning is hard to assess.

Maybe I have the terms mixed up.

I was under the impression that foxing is an age-related process of deterioration that causes spots and browning on old paper documents such as books, postage stamps and certificates.

Is that different than tanning?

Yes. Which can be different from a dust shadow depending on how the shadow was caused.

sartre's collection is redic. I do believe he owns a JIM 83 9.4. The ones that stuck in my mind are the ASM 3 9.6 and his Cap 3 9.4 Allentown if my memory serves me correctly.

Shows you how tight of a grader Payette must have been as he had graded the Allentown Cap 3 as only a raw VF+ copy. From the Pedigree Book article on the Allentown Collection, it looks like almost all of Payette's raw grades were lower than their CGC grades for the books that had been graded so far.

Almost makes you wonder how high the CGC grades would be on the handful that Payette had graded as NM/M. hm:cloud9:

i dont go over to the ga section much but i would assume that this would rank #1 on the boards

You mean best known copy of AF15 among boardies ? Hands down.

If you mean most expensive comic, no chance. sartre owns a Captain America 1 CGC 9.4 (easily a 700k book)

For an existentialist he has some amazing books.

:grin:

Doesn't he also own a J.I.M. #83 CGC 9.4 ?

Not sure.

sartre's collection is redic. I do believe he owns a JIM 83 9.4. The ones that stuck in my mind are the ASM 3 9.6 and his Cap 3 9.4 Allentown if my memory serves me correctly.

Still, the only one that trumps Barton's AF15 in value is the Cap 1. JIM 83 would be a close runner up.

john Verzyl is not all that active but he is a boardie. He owns many books that would trump these.

And a few remember Dave Anderson once posted on these boards so he too is technically a member :o

Shows you how tight of a grader Payette must have been as he had graded the Allentown Cap 3 as only a raw VF+ copy. From the Pedigree Book article on the Allentown Collection, it looks like almost all of Payette's raw grades were lower than their CGC grades for the books that had been graded so far.

Almost makes you wonder how high the CGC grades would be on the handful that Payette had graded as NM/M. hm:cloud9:

Jim's still pretty tight. He's pretty much right down the middle with the occasional .5 undergrade on the SA books from him that I've had graded. I'm assuming that he grades technically without a GA bump figured in, which could be the reason for the discrepancy on the Allentown books, but that's just a guess on my part.

Regardless, Jim Payette is a fair guy who knows how to grade books.

Edited by makeminemego