• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

i dont go over to the ga section much but i would assume that this would rank #1 on the boards

You mean best known copy of AF15 among boardies ? Hands down.

If you mean most expensive comic, no chance. sartre owns a Captain America 1 CGC 9.4 (easily a 700k book)

For an existentialist he has some amazing books.

:grin:

Doesn't he also own a J.I.M. #83 CGC 9.4 ?

Not sure.

Looks pretty sweet to me. Is this a new copy or an upgrade? It's the first new 9.4 in years!

It's suffering from a defect that CGCs notoriously harsh on, edge tanning. I don't think anyone of us would question a 9.0/2.. but a 9.4.....

Are you sure about this? ???

I have always thought that CGC tended to go relatively easy on edge tanning. It's the stains that they really apply a heavy hammer to on the books. (shrug)

yep. They are harsh on tanning.

i dont go over to the ga section much but i would assume that this would rank #1 on the boards

If you mean most expensive comic, no chance. sartre owns a Captain America 1 CGC 9.4 (easily a 700k book)

Not sure.

sartre's collection is redic. I do believe he owns a JIM 83 9.4. The ones that stuck in my mind are the ASM 3 9.6 and his Cap 3 9.4 Allentown if my memory serves me correctly.

Not sure.

sartre's collection is redic. I do believe he owns a JIM 83 9.4. The ones that stuck in my mind are the ASM 3 9.6 and his Cap 3 9.4 Allentown if my memory serves me correctly.

Still, the only one that trumps Barton's AF15 in value is the Cap 1. JIM 83 would be a close runner up.

No doubt, the Heritage 9.4 AF15 is a beautiful copy of an AF15. It has great structure, great color, decent registry, etc. I would love to own that copy.

Structurally it appears to be a NM or better copy. However, there are a few defects on it that might prevent me, personally, from wanting to shell out anticipated 9.4 prices for this book based on the scans. Notably:

1. The tanning

2. What appears to be a 1.5" horizontal dirty crease/printing crease at the mid right FC edge. (visible when zoomed in)

3. What appears to be a light horizontal 1/2" crease at the Bottom Right FC edge near spidey's foot. (visible when zoomed in)

4. The misaligned bottom staple

Of course this is all from the Hi-res scan detail. If I were seriously interested in this copy I would, of course, go see this in person to confirm the true presence of those defects and how much they affect the beauty in my eye. Based on the scans, I would give it a lower grade. Not that it deserves a lower grade as that is clearly subjective, but solely my opinion because I am harder on tanning and creases than CGC.

If I were in the market for a 9.4 copy I might underbid or pass on this particular book despite the possibility that another 9.4 copy is not likely to surface anytime soon. I would prefer to pay a strong 9.2 price for Barton's copy or a copy similar to his which appears and presents as well as a potential 9.4 with better eye appeal (again based solely on a scan and my opinion - I'd have to pay him a visit to confirm) rather than high 9.4 prices for the Heritage Feb auction copy.

That being said, for the people interested in a 9.4 willing to afford it and don't mind the defects on this particular copy, this is a great opportunity to win a great looking AF15 with a CGC cert at 9.4 and I encourage them to bid their max.

Considering that a 9.4 copy has not sold publicly in many years, it's tough to guess what would be a high, or low, 9.4 bid. This sale will likely blow the last one out of the water, leaving us to argue whether it went cheap or not, since expectation will run high.

I'm digging the CC 9.0. Fresh to market ?

Heritage and comiclink have better scans. The gray background looks brownish due to scan on both the 9.0 and 8.0?

Also i'm biased, but i would have prefered it a cgc holder

Edited by SpiderTurtle

Hi newbie to the boards (but not to comics :grin: ) I thought I would share my AF 15, its not a high grade or anything but as long as its complete, unrestored with no big chunks missing im happy :D (hopefully the picture shows up)

http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/myelite1/media/12544041_10205922466160622_572453939_o_zpstgbbjok2.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Edited by tmntcollector1

Hi newbie to the boards (but not to comics :grin: ) I thought I would share my AF 15, its not a high grade or anything but as long as its complete, unrestored with no big chunks missing im happy :D (hopefully the picture shows up)

http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/myelite1/media/12544041_10205922466160622_572453939_o_zpstgbbjok2.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Awesome. it's low grade but present really well. Congrats

12544041_10205922466160622_572453939_o_zpstgbbjok2.jpg

Edited by gadzukes

:hi: nice to see you joined