• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

On 2017-03-21 at 4:52 PM, NoMan said:

Somehow this hobby (comics) has morphed into and/or created an interest in bank safe deposit boxes: their history, bank safe box thefts, how they survive various natural catastrophes, etc.

Weird, I know. ???

I gotta agree, such a strange fascination with safety deposit boxes and even moreso telling us about it.  Just get your books properly insured and then leave them anywhere you want in your house.

Of course if theft is a genuine concern/worry of yours, you might be better off using the proceeds off of the sale of said books and moving to a better neighbourhood.  

1 hour ago, Guardian Comics said:

I gotta agree, such a strange fascination with safety deposit boxes and even moreso telling us about it.  Just get your books properly insured and then leave them anywhere you want in your house.

Of course if theft is a genuine concern/worry of yours, you might be better off using the proceeds off of the sale of said books and moving to a better neighbourhood.  

That is not fair saying better neighborhood.....there are good and bad people everywhere. We should not a attack on someones social status. By the way for the people living in such areas....safety deposit boxes are much cheaper than a new home. Some people like their neighborhood even if it is a bit more shady and simply do not want to move just for comic books.

I have family that live in such areas and they are very nice people (work hard and are 100% clean and sober and enjoy helping others)....they love their area.....they have been there all their lives. They could move away but they simply don 't want to. If all good people moved out of so called ''bad areas'' there would be more and more ''ghettos'' than there already is....we need good people everywhere to give hope to those that are less fortunate.

Maybe it is different here in Canada.....maybe the people are different here....oh we have bad people every place does....but there are more good people than bad that is what prevents further decay.

Edited by SupergirlDC19591

7 hours ago, peewee22 said:

Something I've noticed lately is we spend more time analyzing data and prices than we do enjoying the hobby. Take time out and look at the books posted in the threads esp by newbies. I've noticed when books are posted, many people overlook that and are anxious to get back to the posts that involve pricing. That's all good, but keep this in mind and what we really are here for. I make it a point to look at any recent books posted when  I enter a thread. Just my 2c

52249801.jpg

41 minutes ago, SECollector said:

52249801.jpg

I agree. This thread is currently ONLY about the financials. You have the same group of posters, who are all obviously holding the book, talking nothing but financials. Boring, boring, boring. Go play the stock market, buy some options or futures, get a life, better yet, get a HOBBY. 

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

I agree. This thread is currently ONLY about the financials. You have the same group of posters, who are all obviously holding the book, talking nothing but financials. Boring, boring, boring. Go play the stock market, buy some options or futures, get a life, better yet, get a HOBBY. 

Here we go again now we must plead our case to prove to you and a few others we are true collectors and love the hobby just as much as anyone else.....forget it I am not wasting my time. As I stated earlier we can talk about what makes us happy and the other adults well because most are adults here who are not happy with that can simply just ignore us and if they want to talk about AF15 in any other aspect please do so....again for those who do not like that we can just ignore those posts to. It really is very simple.

Enjoy your hobby and I will enjoy mine as should everyone else here. Eventually once you have posted your AF15 and talked about the book there is not much left to do but talk about auction results (and praise books posted by fellow members) it allows us to continue to be able to enjoy our book while been able to ''talk'' to fellow collectors here. Now in the ASM collector thread now that is a place one can go on and on about Spidey because there are tons of SA ASM books to discuss in fine detail......not like here where we can talk about 1 single book.

Edited by SupergirlDC19591

4 hours ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:

Here we go again now we must plead our case to prove to you and a few others we are true collectors and love the hobby just as much as anyone else.....forget it I am not wasting my time. As I stated earlier we can talk about what makes us happy and the other adults well because most are adults here who are not happy with that can simply just ignore us and if they want to talk about AF15 in any other aspect please do so....again for those who do not like that we can just ignore those posts to. It really is very simple.

Enjoy your hobby and I will enjoy mine as should everyone else here. Eventually once you have posted your AF15 and talked about the book there is not much left to do but talk about auction results (and praise books posted by fellow members) it allows us to continue to be able to enjoy our book while been able to ''talk'' to fellow collectors here. Now in the ASM collector thread now that is a place one can go on and on about Spidey because there are tons of SA ASM books to discuss in fine detail......not like here where we can talk about 1 single book.

I think people just want you to shut up about it for 10 minutes. :foryou:

14 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

Many were on Comiclink and they don't report their sales to GPA, which sucks.

Anyone know why CL doesn't report their sales to GPA?

I could certainly be remembering this incorrectly, but I thought CL wanted to pick and choose which sales got reported, instead of all sales, which is basically market manipulation.  I believe GPA declined to accept that proposal.

10 hours ago, gadzukes said:

I remember this one.  I wish I had it back.  You definitely got the best of that trade by far!!!!  Luckily a raw copy that was in the wild fell into my lap and graded out at 4.0 so I'm not too depressed.

I caught ya on tilt after the grade came in, was even at the time though. Either way, it's safe with me. I can't afford an upgrade. 

3 hours ago, drbanner said:
8 hours ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:

I think people just want you to shut up about it for 10 minutes. :foryou:

And just stop financially pumping books for a breath or two.  :angel:

I know I've been involved in the financial discussion in some threads but I'm just trying to bring some normalcy and levity to what seems to be an opinion that things are good when values are running away out of control. And if people care, I've made the same points whether I own the books I'm talking about or not.

53 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I know I've been involved in the financial discussion in some threads but I'm just trying to bring some normalcy and levity to what seems to be an opinion that things are good when values are running away out of control. And if people care, I've made the same points whether I own the books I'm talking about or not.

You're responses are fine Roy. (thumbsu

56 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

You also have intimate knowledge of these markets, outside of the information that's available to anyone with an internet connection, and are good enough to share some of your insight.  This is helpful, especially to those looking to jump into this book, or other big keys.  That's the difference.

3 hours ago, entalmighty1 said:
18 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

Many were on Comiclink and they don't report their sales to GPA, which sucks.

Anyone know why CL doesn't report their sales to GPA?

I could certainly be remembering this incorrectly, but I thought CL wanted to pick and choose which sales got reported, instead of all sales, which is basically market manipulation.  I believe GPA declined to accept that proposal.

This is how I remember it as well.  

I think though to be fair this is a thread about acquiring AF 15's which basically means paying cash to acquire them. Price discussion honestly should be a major issue if not the major issue in the "I bought an AF15" thread. And the events of the last few weeks have been about as memorable as possible for Amazing Fantasy 15. I like to discuss prices also, but to be clear what i really like is understanding the forces behind the pricing and the reason market prices are set and i find that to be completely within the scope of what this thread alone should be.

These stapled bits of paper cost more than most peoples cars. I have friends who live in homes that cost less than most of the comics in question. The prices we see and pay for these 12 cent wonders are honestly to most people outside our little goofy club completely obscene bordering on insane. You cant join this club now unless you can afford to give up a years salary for many people....to buy a comic book...i think price and market conditions in the "I bought an amazing fantasy 15" thread SHOULD be one if not the biggest part of this thread because of this. Hyping your own books yeah that gets old but just discussing the topic shouldnt be frowned on in my opinion. All in moderation of course, but the topic shouldnt be looked down upon. 

1 minute ago, zhamlau said:

I think though to be fair this is a thread about acquiring AF 15's which basically means paying cash to acquire them. Price discussion honestly should be a major issue if not the major issue in the "I bought an AF15" thread. And the events of the last few weeks have been about as memorable as possible for Amazing Fantasy 15. I like to discuss prices also, but to be clear what i really like is understanding the forces behind the pricing and the reason market prices are set and i find that to be completely within the scope of what this thread alone should be.

These stapled bits of paper cost more than most peoples cars. I have friends who live in homes that cost less than most of the comics in question. The prices we see and pay for these 12 cent wonders are honestly to most people outside our little goofy club completely obscene bordering on insane. You cant join this club now unless you can afford to give up a years salary for many people....to buy a comic book...i think price and market conditions in the "I bought an amazing fantasy 15" thread SHOULD be one if not the biggest part of this thread because of this. Hyping your own books yeah that gets old but just discussing the topic shouldnt be frowned on in my opinion. All in moderation of course, but the topic shouldnt be looked down upon. 

Discussing price is fine, Heck I do that alot myself. We're all glad our books are doing well. I think people are saying too much of one thing can overload (and ruin) a thread. We used to have a good mix in the thread but it seems like it went south to just one subject.  This thread is a good survivor. It will correct itself. (thumbsu

Yeah, agree with points from everyone here.  Just treat it as the "AF15 discussion thread".   That's basically what it is.   And, as Zhamlau noted, when discussing a book like AF15, price is always going to be a part of the conversation.   How can it not be?  I've bought a lot of expensive (for me) comic items and art over the years.   My AF15 purchase still dwarfs any of those.   I think if I took the Top 5 in my collection (including both books & art) the purchase price of those 5 wouldn't add up to a higher amount than what I paid for my 15.   

The thread is called THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB

I think the members of this club are just a bit more excited being members given the latest insane sale of $57K

I think it was a little harsh to "shut up" a fellow member, but indeed I think there is a mix of excitement, disbelief, fear, trepidation surrounding this book right now, and it ALL has to do with past, current and future values, and some of us are getting a bit crazy right now, and some of us (maybe the more knowledgable, experienced ones) are more in control.

It's all good, I want everyone and anyone to keep posting here - for me I learn a lot from both ends of the spectrum here. Me I'm just an average Joe with some knowledge, but nothing close to the big players on here.   

48 minutes ago, fishbone said:

The thread is called THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB

I think the members of this club are just a bit more excited being members given the latest insane sale of $57K

I think it was a little harsh to "shut up" a fellow member, but indeed I think there is a mix of excitement, disbelief, fear, trepidation surrounding this book right now, and it ALL has to do with past, current and future values, and some of us are getting a bit crazy right now, and some of us (maybe the more knowledgable, experienced ones) are more in control.

It's all good, I want everyone and anyone to keep posting here - for me I learn a lot from both ends of the spectrum here. Me I'm just an average Joe with some knowledge, but nothing close to the big players on here.   

I vote myself as an average Joe.