• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

What puts upper same grade AF15s in different classes is the clarity of the grays, the centering, and a clean right edge where the thumb rests (ie, no smudging). The grays are average on this 8.0 and the right edge has some tanning and smudging on it. Still should bring a nice price. The final hammer could go higher if Ali & Frazier are the last 2 bidders standing. :slapfight:

Edited by peewee22

12 hours ago, peewee22 said:

What puts upper same grade AF15s in different classes is the clarity of the grays, the centering, and a clean right edge where the thumb rests (ie, no smudging). The grays are average on this 8.0 and the right edge has some tanning and smudging on it. Still should bring a nice price. The final hammer could go higher if Ali & Frazier are the last 2 bidders standing. :slapfight:

Peewee, don't you have an 8.0 somewhere? Post a pic of that babe. 

8 hours ago, BIZZARRO said:

Big question, I own an AF-15 3.0 With slight-A resto (light color touch)

About how much is it worth?

PQ, centering, MC, eye appeal, and the extent of the restoration all go into the factors determining the real value of your book not just the grade IMHO. Scan a picture and I'm sure there are many here who could help with your question. At the end of the day if you are happy with owning the book its priceless to you.

Edited by Philreal

6 minutes ago, Kevin76 said:

Nice book but that black registration is terrible  

Spidey's chest and crotch marks are just to much for me on a 8.0 but like I said it will sell well.

33 minutes ago, SupergirlDC19591 said:

Spidey's chest and crotch marks are just to much for me on a 8.0 but like I said it will sell well.

It's really noticeable where it says "Introducing Spider-Man" As well as the title.  Looking at it gives me a headache but it'll still sell for stupid money  

3 minutes ago, Kevin76 said:

It's really noticeable where it says "Introducing Spider-Man" As well as the title.  Looking at it gives me a headache but it'll still sell for stupid money  

This is why collectors are willing to pay a premium for comparable grades that do not have these things. If I've seen one AF15 I've seen a hundred that are plagued with dirty grays, scuff marks, tanning, avg PQ  and off centering. :preach:

On 4/8/2017 at 6:10 PM, showcase22gr1959 said:
On 4/8/2017 at 4:38 PM, Spiderphill said:

Not loving the 8.0 considering the two 7.5s that just sold on clink for 85/87k look just as good but my guess 120k

CGC is spot on with this copy as an 8.0. It's not the nicest 8.0 out there, but I've seen 8.0's with less preservation then this copy. If a few recent folks with a recent 7.5's might want to upgrade and may cause a bidding frenzy. 2c

Looks like there are quite a few boardies who would not agree with your assessment here.

All I can say is that the 8.5 copy graded by the other company in last summer's HA Auction was head and shoulders nicer in appearance than this 8.0 copy, and yet many members here stated that the 8.5 copy was clearly overgraded and should have only graded somewhere in the 7's.  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Looks like there are quite a few boardies who would not agree with your assessment here.

All I can say is that the 8.5 copy graded by the other company in last summer's HA Auction was head and shoulders nicer in appearance than this 8.0 copy, and yet many members here stated that the 8.5 copy was clearly overgraded and should have only graded somewhere in the 7's.  (shrug)

I've said this copy is accurately graded as a 8.0 by CGC, but not the nicest 8.0 out there. I've seen copies in 8.0 that are cream/off-white pages with less preservation than this copy. I've heard you mentioned the Voldy 8.5 like hundreds of time and still not over it for the fact that it was a bargain in that holder. With CGC assessment of the Voldy copy as an CGC 8.5, it performed better.  In late February, the voldy 9.0 sold on Comiclink auction for 240K and last month the CGC 9.0 Hope copy sold on ComicConnect auction for 395K.  The registration and PQ on Peewee's 8.0 and my 8.0 presents better than this 8.0. Not many 8.0's in the market to choose from, so one either wait it out for another copy or go after this 8.0 copy. I mentioned previously that the last five years at auction Comiclink offered only three copies above 8.0 and one of them was a Voldy 9.0. I understand it's only one venue, but a very reputable venue in Silver Age books.

Edited by showcase22gr1959

11 hours ago, Philreal said:

PQ, centering, MC, eye appeal, and the extent of the restoration all go into the factors determining the real value of your book not just the grade IMHO. Scan a picture and I'm sure there are many here who could help with your question. At the end of the day if you are happy with owning the book its priceless to you.

I posted pictures, please review and let me know. Thanks in advance

37 minutes ago, Spiderturtle said:

Ok, lol

ok, 40k. Every dog has it's day and AF15 has had its. Just look at the shambles of this thread. It's like walking out of a bunker in Nevada after the 50s nuclear bomb tests and trying to have a conversation with one of the test mannequins. These prices are unGodly-out to control. Who in there right mind pays 158K for an 8.5 AF 15. An insufficiently_thoughtful_person, that's who.

Edited by NoMan