• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,484 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Spiderturtle said:

No

But with the recent 6.0 chipped sold by sparklecity the needle has moved for sure.  Roulette also mentioned a 6.0 that sold before cc for $45k i believe

Edited by Spiderturtle

Not to bring up painful topics, but the way to see where this is at is to follow an auction of a a 4.5-6.0 CGC blue label with no chipping and strong eye appeal. We have seen chipped copies sell but the entire argument (the smart one that is) has been that eye appeal copies in lower grade have greatly outpaced superior grade copies with chipping, Or a copy with no chips and good eye appeal but bad PQ will significantly crush a book with better PQ and chips in the same grade. I believe in proof, thats what Id like to see. All drama aside I believe there is merit to this idea but I want to see more of those specific types of sales. It would seem to me to indicate a new breed of buyers coming up just looking for the Internet appeal of the book rather than the sum total value (looks good on my FB and Forum posts where i just show the front, all i care about when i bid).

Welp, I wanted to share my recent submission on my AF 15 that I cracked out of a CBCS slab.  CBCS graded the book as a 4.5 offwhite-white pages.  I cracked it out and submitted it to CGC at WonderCon this past week (straight submission).  Just got the results today through my Collector's Society Account and it graded out as a CGC 4.5 cream-offwhite pages.  I was surprised CGC may had been harsh on PQ because when I was flipping through the book, I knew it wasn't offwhite-white as the pages were a darker, thinking offwhite for sure.  Goes to show once again that PQ is all relative. Sure it's easy to spot white pages and brittle pages, but everything in between is now a mystery for me.  

I'm happy with the grade which is the main factor of this experiment.  Oh and CGC does have the notes on the book for free and available when you check the status of the book.  So kudos for CGC for having the notes now :applause:

30 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Welp, I wanted to share my recent submission on my AF 15 that I cracked out of a CBCS slab.  CBCS graded the book as a 4.5 offwhite-white pages.  I cracked it out and submitted it to CGC at WonderCon this past week (straight submission).  Just got the results today through my Collector's Society Account and it graded out as a CGC 4.5 cream-offwhite pages.  I was surprised CGC may had been harsh on PQ because when I was flipping through the book, I knew it wasn't offwhite-white as the pages were a darker, thinking offwhite for sure.  Goes to show once again that PQ is all relative. Sure it's easy to spot white pages and brittle pages, but everything in between is now a mystery for me.  

I'm happy with the grade which is the main factor of this experiment.  Oh and CGC does have the notes on the book for free and available when you check the status of the book.  So kudos for CGC for having the notes now :applause:

remember, it is just not visible "color" but suppleness as well... long time collectors will almost always gravitate to a "bouncy" paged copy, versus a "stiff" paged copy, regardless of "color"... ahh, I miss the good old days!

1 hour ago, zhamlau said:

new breed of buyers coming up just looking for the Internet appeal of the book rather than the sum total value (looks good on my FB and Forum posts where i just show the front, all i care about when i bid).

Sounds like the world we live in now: who cares about reality as long as it looks good on FB and gets lots of "likes."

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

I'm glad you got the grade you wanted.  Your copy presents very well for the grade.  

As for the so-called "PQ"on the label, seriously, who cares.  Well... You know my thoughts on that point already. ;)

-J.

2 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

remember, it is just not visible "color" but suppleness as well... long time collectors will almost always gravitate to a "bouncy" paged copy, versus a "stiff" paged copy, regardless of "color"... ahh, I miss the good old days!

Yep that is true as well. But between white pages to say cream to offwhite, in terms of suppleness, how do you determine it just by feeling the paper? They feel the same way to me as long as it does not tear or crumble easily.

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

I'm glad you got the grade you wanted.  Your copy presents very well for the grade.  

As for the so-called "PQ"on the label, seriously, who cares.  Well... You know my thoughts on that point already. ;)

-J.

Thanks J and yes I do not want to talk about PQ :nyah:

3 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

I've seen your 4.5 copy, it will go for a strong price when you do sell it

3 minutes ago, Spiderturtle said:

I've seen your 4.5 copy, it will go for a strong price when you do sell it

Thanks Spiderturtle. I'm happy with it :). I'll post a scan in it's new CGC holder when I get it in hand.

5 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Yep that is true as well. But between white pages to say cream to offwhite, in terms of suppleness, how do you determine it just by feeling the paper? They feel the same way to me as long as it does not tear or crumble easily.

Oh a fresh white page book is easy to differentiate from a cr/ow

So a while ago on this board I said I was getting my Amazing Fantasy 15 signed by Stan Lee at Fan Expo. Well about 2 months ago I got it back from CGC....13643464_1028506307269844_1190126641_n.jpg.cc584d57151cdd8b137f171853899a2b.jpgspd.jpg.32fa4719eec5a9eb126bb73a107240fc.jpg

Finding out it had a tiny bit of trimming was disappointing, but I cant be too upset because of such a good deal I got it for, would have been way to good to be true if it had no restoration. Glad to own this in my collection though, my ASM run wouldn't be complete without it :takeit: