• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Actually, GAtor said it. I can't remember who else did.

Are you trying to say that because you stated an already known market pattern has happened that this somehow adds weight to your points?

Everybody knows when higher grade copies sell strong that lower grade copies trickle upwards. Yeah, you said it.  lol

I was one of the first that said that the trickle down would happen and prices would adjust if the market accepted those CC record prices as the new norm. :bigsmile:

But your personal insult about me being "overly mesmerized by their own preconceptions and opinions" is not accurate. 

I know my stuff well and I'm putting my highly educated and respected opinion out there and I've been making the same salient points from the beginning.

Where I get my back up is where you pump the market with half truths, grey statements and shifting arguments (like misquoting people). It's makes you look like the value of your AF #15 is worth more than your integrity.

That's another Jaydogrules fabrication.

just so you know, October and I go back over a decade both on here and in person. He didn't disagree with me, actually.

He said MAYBE the book could go to a 5.5 (which means he agrees that it could upgrade) AND I added above that it is possible that on this particular copy that a bidder thought it was upgradeable but also that someone was just shelling out huge dough because it looked spectacular (see my @peewee22 comment above).

It's only absurd to you because it conflicts with your grand scheme of pumping the markets. lol

My opinion is that the books selling for record numbers either looked spectacular for the grade and / or had a shot at upgrade.  I don't know what is absurd about that. The markets have been that way since day one. People have always paid stronger prices for exceptional copies. The only thing that has changed is how much more they are willing to pay and what makes them exceptional.

Another Jaydogrules fabrication.

I have from the beginning admitted that the 5.0 copy may not be upgradeable.  My larger point is not based on that one copy, although October himself (also a solid graded) said he could "MAYBE see 5.5"

But the upgrade game is not a science. You don't always know what grade you are going to get. You also don't know what the market is going to be when it comes time to sell.

It's anonymous people bidding against other anonsymous people. so if there was someone who wanted that book for their personal collection and they were bidding against someone who thought the book had potential that would explain the price point.

That's more realistic to me than just two people wanting to pay double market value for a CGC 5.0 copy, which is entirely possibly but unlikely to me.

Okay.  Fair enough.  Truce.  :foryou:

(I will say that you seem to be right about the hulk 1 resurgence this year).

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

Nobody will know one way or another whether the 'fortunes of the book are in some way tied to the movie' until well after the movie, which is being released in a week, not a year or more down the road.  The additional perspective that comes from time will also be useful on its own to help determine whether the huge recent price increases in the book are sustainable or not.  "Time, it's on my side, yes it is."

Capisco?

Edited by namisgr
spell check

1 minute ago, Jaydogrules said:

Okay.  Fair enough.  Truce.  :foryou:

(I will say that you seem to be right about the hulk 1 resurgence this year).

Thank you.

Truce.

Just now, namisgr said:

Nobody will know one way or another whether the 'fortunes of the book are in some way tied to the move' until well after the movie.  The additional perspective that comes from time will also be useful on its own to help determine whether the huge recent price increases in the book are sustainable or not.

Capisco?

(thumbsu

I will now channel my inner SC22 and say that with not one, but two movie studios featuring the character and the possibility of not one but two sets of Spidey-verse movies, the future looks bright for our webslinger and the first time he was introduced to the world indeed.   :cloud9:

-J.

10 hours ago, piper said:
11 hours ago, namisgr said:

As always, perhaps it's most prudent to wait until 3-6 months after the latest movie release to discern whether the recent pricing is sustainable or not.

Agreed about waiting 3-6 months to see if these new prices are stable. At this point though I don't think that the upcoming movie  is having any impact on prices.

+1

Don't understand why this Spidey movie should be making the kind of impact to the prices we are seeing on the recent AF 15 prices.  After all, Spidey has already been in several movies of his own over the years.  ???

Even if the movie is a huge success and beats all prior expectations, I don't think anybody really believes it's going to have a long-term incremental impact on prices going forward.  Just take a look at GTOG which was a totally unexpected smash hits, and yet prices on their books have come down significantly since the release of their first movie once the hype died back down.   hm

10 hours ago, october said:

I was willing to pay top end GPA in cash for it raw and the seller (wisely) turned me down. I was willing to do that because it was the nicest copy I had ever seen in a 7.0 or under, slabbed or unslabbed. The front cover is incredible. I am guessing the buyer felt the same. 

Well, that kind of says it all. 

Based upon recent auction results including the recently completed one for the Jon Berk books, I believe their is a noticeable shift away from the actual technical grade itself as bidders are now willing to pay more for books with superior eye appeal relative to their assigned grades.  hm

If this is actually happening and going to take hold , I believe it's a positive step in the right direction from my point of view.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

14 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Based upon recent auction results including the recently completed one for the Jon Berk books, I believe their is a noticeable shift away from the actual technical grade itself as bidders are now willing to pay more for books with superior eye appeal relative to their assigned grades.  hm

If this is actually happening and going to take hold , I believe it's a positive step in the right direction from my point of view.  (thumbsu

Old timer with rose eyed glasses.

:baiting:

18 hours ago, lou_fine said:

+1

Don't understand why this Spidey movie should be making the kind of impact to the prices we are seeing on the recent AF 15 prices.  After all, Spidey has already been in several movies of his own over the years.  ???

Even if the movie is a huge success and beats all prior expectations, I don't think anybody really believes it's going to have a long-term incremental impact on prices going forward.  Just take a look at GTOG which was a totally unexpected smash hits, and yet prices on their books have come down significantly since the release of their first movie once the hype died back down.   hm

Two words:  Tom Holland.

Regarding Tom Holland: one more word:  Electric

22 hours ago, lou_fine said:

This is what Ive been saying all along, its the "social media" collector mentality driving these prices.  Blue label, No chips, decent front cover color, those are the keys to the kingdom. Stuff you cant see from the glamour shot as you post it to Instagram, that stuff is meaningless to the class of buyer looking for this. They are a generation who came up collecting via the Internet, of course Internet ready product is going to appeal/drive them.

8 hours ago, silentassassin said:

Ok I have to chime in on this movie hype stuff. I have seen movie hype (as many of you have) but I don't buy into this movie hype stuff for AF 15 NO WAY. Yes I understand there is a price bump in general but not this much and not like this for this particular book. I have read all about the various reasons why people are buying this book (investment, hedging against foreign currency deflation etc). There are many reasons that people buy books and movie hype is one potential reason in general I think. Buying AF 15 for movie hype is a bit much of a stretch which I do not buy into at all. 

AF 15 is simply a Holy book within the comic world that I agree with many has been undervalued for several years. Its not rare compared to Detective 27 or Action 1 but its popular and in high demand. Many people have waiting to buy into AF 15 for whatever reason and the price has finally come into play which has finally pushed buyers in and left others out. I know dealers are hoarding the books but they are not simply blowing them out the door, they are selling them to collectors in many cases and not investors. Marvel chipping or not its about owning a piece of history, Marvel chipping is not a disease that would scare people out of the market who were serious about buying the book. I have always bought books on eye appeal in relation to grade of books. Eye appeal adds significant value to books and CGC must have finally thought so as well.

Some things don't need over analyzed especially this comic but this upcoming movie has little if any effect on this book. It was already priced too higher for some random collectors to push the price up with fake hype. Movies may have pricing factors in say New Mutants 98 but not this book No way.

is your avatar an official image or is it an an amalgamation of your own? I ask because the woman on the left of Spiderman is attractive. 

1 minute ago, DTM700 said:

What's going on with this copy? The sale's data looks suspicious. #1010780001

• 10/25/2015 for $14,232.80
  • 5/19/2016 for $6,950.00
  • 7/3/2017 for $7,500 (today)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Fantasy-15-Spider-Man-CGC-4-5-Universal-Grade-/253026357387?hash=item3ae98bd08b:g:x2wAAOSwHLNZWrGL

I can think of 2 scenarios. The account has been hijacked and we all know that we have seen a lot of scammers trying to sell AF 15's for cheap or the seller simply made a mistake on price.