• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE AMAZING FANTASY #15 CLUB
39 39

14,481 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

The CC 5.0 copy that sold for a record price had a few things going for it:

1) Tremendous high eye appeal which I think is a key factor in setting a high sale price.  

2) Old label goodness (possible pressing upgrade? )

3) The Cream-offwhite pages on the old label can, not all the time, upgrade to a higher PQ. 

Isn't this the CC copy ?

af15126754.jpg

Edited by Gotham Kid

6 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Glad I sold my CGC 5.5 copy earlier this year.  Lost a few hundo, but not too bad.  I bought my 5.5 for around that price.

Geez I paid 8400$ for my very nice looking 6.0 BB28 but this one that sold tonight had a weak spine all the way threw from top to bottom. Mine does not. Both have the exact same PQ.

3 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Pretty sure it is and if it is, nothing changed on it ( grade, PQ )

I wonder what made it a 5.0 the 2nd time around if in fact it is the same book.  Looks wayyy better than the assigned grade.  Would be interesting to see if it can at least match what it sold for if it is up for sale.

I guess I got lucky on my previous re-submissions :p

15 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

A flipper could probably care less. We collectors do care.

Sure.  And the overwhelming demand for AF 15 in all grades is more than enough equalize most if not all. This has been borne out time and time and time and time again.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

12 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

The CC 5.0 copy that sold for a record price had a few things going for it:

1) Tremendous high eye appeal which I think is a key factor in setting a high sale price.  

2) Old label goodness (possible pressing upgrade? I've had my luck with upgrades before one of which was a 9.2 old label to a 9.6 new label)

3) The Cream-offwhite pages on the old label can, not all the time, upgrade to a higher PQ.  Again, I've had upgrades with this when I sent in old labeled books.  

I also agree that because it's "that time of year" sort of thing where X-mas is around the corner and people are going to be spending a lot of $ on gifts, trips, etc. definitely not a good time to sell, but a great time to buy.  We'll see how the other AF 15's perform in the next few auctions coming up.

+1.  Every old label (actually graded in 2006 and prior) I've CPR'ed has come back with a better PQ.  I don't think I've had higher than one bump, but its a bump nonetheless.

15 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

Isn't this the CC copy ?

af15126754.jpg

There must be a stain on the back cover, interior damage or a hard-to-see sub crease for that to be a 5.0.  If the back is reflective of the front then its woefully under-graded.  I bet its a stain though as that seems to be the biggest hit CGC gives.

Edited by comicquant

2 minutes ago, comicquant said:

+1.  Every old label (actually graded in 2006 and prior) I've CPR'ed has come back with a better PQ.  I don't think I've had higher than one bump, but its a bump nonetheless.

This was also my  past experiences as well.  Although i've submitted books in newer labels with higher PQ and then coming back with a notch below that.  So white to offwhite-white as an example.

1 minute ago, comicquant said:

There must be a stain on the back cover, interior damage or a hard-to-see sub crease for that to be a 5.0.  If the back is reflective of the front then its woefully under-graded.  I bet its a stain though as that seems to be the biggest hit CGC gives.

Which is why buyers down the road will always think this is a 6.0 or better copy in a 5.0 holder.  Everybody is smarter then the person who bought it before them.

2 minutes ago, comicquant said:

I'm thinking the same thing too. But also the possibility of a very faint diagonal crease as you said.

1 minute ago, blazingbob said:

Which is why buyers down the road will always think this is a 6.0 or better copy in a 5.0 holder.  Everybody is smarter then the person who bought it before them.

I feel this book falls into the "if its too good to be true, then it probably is".  I don't look at this book as an opportunity but more of hot chick with a lot of baggage...  

10 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Sure.  And the overwhelming demand for AF 15 in all grades is more than enough equalize most if not all. This has been borne out time and time and time and time again.  

-J.

Sure has. But I figured our side deserved 1 reply. :bigsmile:

3 minutes ago, comicquant said:

I feel this book falls into the "if its too good to be true, then it probably is".  I don't look at this book as an opportunity but more of hot chick with a lot of baggage...  

1 minute ago, Dark Knight said:

I would be extremely happy to own that copy.  I don't think anyone would think otherwise.

And when I say this, I don't mean I wouldn't want it, but I definitely wouldn't buy it expecting it to come back a 7.0.  I'd buy it because I want a very well-presenting 5.0.